25 Random Things…
There’s a challenge on Facebook right now asking people to write 25 random things about themselves, and then to tag 25 friends to do the same. I found this challenge interesting.
However, I decided to approach this with a slightly different twist. I decided to write 25 things I LIKE about myself, instead of random things.
This challenge fits perfectly with my belief in positive affirmations, so I gave it a try. At first, I stared at the empty white page on my computer screen, frustrated because nothing came to mind.
Then I realized what the problem was. It wasn’t that I couldn’t think of anything, I was just uncomfortable writing down things I like about myself. It felt like bragging and I was taught not to brag.
Recognizing this made me sad, and then it made me mad. I thought to myself, “What’s wrong with declaring the things we like about ourselves?”
I decided there’s nothing wrong with it! We should acknowledge what we like about ourselves. After this, the list just flowed out. Getting to 25 was a bit difficult, but I felt good about it when I was done. And there’s a bonus for doing this — I plan to keep this list on my computer and see how many new things I can add to it.
Here’s the list of 25 things I like about myself:
- I like my creativity
- I like my curiosity about everything (thank goodness for Google)
- I like my laughter
- I like my ability to show empathy and compassion to others
- I like my brown eyes
- I like my spirituality
- I like my smile
- I like my willingness to fight for what I believe in
- I like my love of nature
- I like my courage
- I like that I talk aloud to myself and my animals
- I like that I sometimes even answer myself
- I like my desire to learn new things
- I like the shape of my face
- I like that I can apologize when I’ve done something wrong
- I like my silliness
- I like myself as a mother
- I like my ability to see connections in disparate things
- I like my eyebrows
- I like that I try not to kill bugs that scare me
- I like my silly phrases and names, like “good garden seed; you silly goose; kiddo and tiger”
- I like my intuition
- I like that my second toe is longer than my first
- I like my voice
- I like my ability to laugh at my faults
Okay, I’ve done it. Now, I want to issue this challenge to YOU, my readers. Make a list of 25 things you LIKE about yourself. In this challenge, however, you DO NOT have to tag 25 friends — this is just for you!
The rules of my challenge are:
- Be honest with yourself. You don’t have to show your list to anyone.
- Please use what YOU know and believe about yourself – not what other people say about you.
- While making the list, you must tell your gremlins (those negative voices) to take a hike!
Give it a try. See if you can beat 25! If you can’t think of 25, that’s okay too. Just remember, this is YOUR list; you will complete it at your own speed.
If you’re comfortable, leave a comment and share a few things from your list, or share how you felt about writing this list. You have my full permission to brag.