To Boldly Go Anger Free

USS Enterprise

Like Star Trek: Raise the shields against anger

With the release of the new Star Trek movie, I’m reminded of how much I love Star Trek.  My favorite series was “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”  I have to admit, I had a big crush on Captain Jean-Luc Picard.  I have the DVD set of this series and have been watching it recently.

In one episode, the USS Enterprise came under attack and Captain Picard commanded his crew to “Raise the shields and go to red alert!” Star Trek fans know these shields are powerful force fields that protect the ship from weapons of evil intent.

A protective shield for anger management

It would be great to have our own protective shields! Imagine someone is angry with you. They’re pushing all your buttons.

Instead of screaming at them in defense you tell yourself to “Raise the shields and go to red alert!” Immediately, your own personal force field surrounds you, protecting you from the angry onslaught.

Sound good? Well, great minds are working on it but it could be some time before such a force field becomes a reality. However, there are things we can do to protect ourselves when we’re exposed to anger.

5 ways to deal with anger

Don’t fight back. This is often the most challenging when you’re feeling attacked. Even if you know you’re right, don’t fight back. Negative energy attracts negative energy. Approach that person later to talk about the issue after they have calmed down.

Be calm. This is also hard to do. When feeling threatened we naturally try to protect ourselves. However, if we stay calm and speak quietly and slowly, we can help reduce the other person’s tension. Take deep breaths and relax.

Remove yourself from the situation. Tell this person you will be back when you can both talk about things calmly. Giving them time to cool off can sometimes be all that’s needed.

Use positive affirmations. There are times when there’s nothing you can do to stop the tirade. When this happens, remind yourself that you don’t own this anger; it belongs to the other person. Repeat your favorite affirmation to yourself silently. Your positive energy will deflect their negative energy.

Write a letter to this person, but DO NOT SEND IT. This is your chance to vent. Write down everything you wish you could have said. Once you have expressed your anger, release it by tearing up or burning the letter. This releases the negative energy to the Universe where it can be dissipated.

If you still feel hurt by someone’s anger write a forgiveness letter. This can help you release any feelings you might still be holding on to.

Anger is an emotion we all feel at one time or another. Even Jean-Luc got angry! We can however, deflect this negative energy in a manner similar to the protective shield on the USS Enterprise. We can boldly go anger free with these 5 simple anger management techniques.

16 comments on “To Boldly Go Anger Free

1. Captain Jean-Luc Picard was my favorite too! I can still remember anticipating the next Star Trek episode. 🙂

These are useful tips by the way. I do get angry at times, and I could use these methods to cool me off and not do things I might regret later on.

Jocelyn at I TAKE OFF THE MASKs last blog post..Life Skills – Words of Wisdom to Live Life Fully!

@ Jocelyn — So, we have Jean-Luc in common…the double-timer:~) I’ve used the letter tip many times and it probably saved me from losing friends, family members and jobs many times!

2. Liara Covert says:

Something about ‘Trekkie fever’ and real life organisations like International Space University on Earth, suggest some human beings are reincarnated souls who have incarnated on other planets in other star systems. Past life regression can help satisfy one’s curiousity if conscious meditation does not answer your budding questions. The Dreambuilders Australia blog also offers a book under recommended reading called Star Kids and a post your can check out:

Make it so!:)

Liara Coverts last blog post..6 Ways to confirm your mystical side

@ Liara — I’ve heard about star kids…I had a friend who talked about this all the time. I’ll have to check the book out. It’s hard for me to believe that Earth could be the only living (as we know it) planet…and, to be honest, it’s also a bit scary to think that given how we treat Earth. I think I like the idea of souls from other star systems. As you ended your comment….Make it so!

3. These are great suggestions. Anger can be such a pain sometimes. I don’t feel like I get angry very often, but when I do, I have a hard time keeping things in perspective and thinking positively. I really think that being calm and using positive affirmations can help a lot.

Positively Presents last blog post..the ABC’s of loving yourself

@ Positively Present — That’s the thing about anger…it’s a bit like a flash fire, comes on you fast, which is all the more reason to be calm and consider your actions. I agree that positive affirmations can help you keep things in perspective:~)

4. Sara,

Excellent anger management ideas!

I know that Abraham Lincoln used the letter writing idea and it prevented him from doing some unwise actions. Unfortunately, some people hastily write angry emails AND push the send button.

I love Star Trek and Jean-Luc Picard.

Roger | A Content Lifes last blog post..Meditation for Beginners (Week 1) – Introduction

@ Roger — That can be a problem with email…perhaps they need a box to come up that says, “Are you sure you want to send this?” I didn’t know that about Abraham Lincoln…his letters must have been interesting reading…or did he burn them?

Regarding Star Trek…it is amazing how powerful the entire series was and the messages inside the stories. I hope this new movie rekindles interest:~)

5. Caroline says:

Oh I love this! I want an anger shield!!! Could you imagine what a wonderful world it would be if all we had to do was press a button and be protected? Great analogy. BTW…I loved Star Trek.

Carolines last blog post..Fighting the demons

@ Caroline — I pleased you liked the post. It would be nice to have the anger shield! Perhaps many years from now, the USS Enterprise will encounter a world where people have this ability…I wonder what would happen to anger if people could be shielded from it?

6. Sara –

These tips will help you to [Hand raised – fingers splayed in “old school” Spock style] live long and prosper.

(I couldn’t resist!)

Kathy | Virtual Impaxs last blog post..#1 Rule for Social Media Marketing Success…

7. I love the idea of an anger shield! I will definitely use this with my clients.
    This is my first visit to your site, and I am finding a lot of valuable information here.

I laughed out loud when I read the comment above about how we should have an
    “Are you SURE you want to send this email?” button. Why haven’t the programmers gotten this idea implemented?

Lauren Jordans last blog post..TOO MUCH OF A PLEASER?

8. Patricia says:

I just woke up angry today. Attempting to follow your directions…
    working on writing and getting out of the situation…when the anger is inside I don’t need protective shields I need to clearly see it…

Patricias last blog post..Lightening Up the Mother Load

9. Hi Sara,

I agree. When anger raises it’s ugly head, it’s difficult not to react instantly. Like you suggested, I try to stay calm and not fight back. I’ve often found someone has gotten angry at me only because I was the “next person in line” (so to speak). When that has happened, I’ve let them vent, showed them empathy, and by the time the conversation is over they admit it wasn’t me they were angry with, but someone else.

Barbara Swaffords last blog post..The Secret Is Out – Our Blog Posts Are Not Being Read

10. Arswino says:

It is a good idea to use Star Trek in your article, and I love the tips you mentioned above. I am working on it, and I realize that it’s not easy to manage anger.
    Thanks for sharing with us, Sara.

Arswinos last blog post..How To Build and Achieve A Dream