The Journey Begins: Part One

footsteps-in-the-sandphotograph by MorganLeFaye

I’ve decided to add a Fiction category to my blog and today, I’m proudly publishing my first story. It’s broken into two parts. Today’s post includes Part One. Part Two will be published next Thursday, Nov. 19th. I hope you enjoy The Journey Begins :~)

She was sitting at the old table. It was solid wood, scarred by old spills and gouges on its surface. It was at this table that she and Ben had shared their first meal as a married couple; peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with candlelight and cheap wine.

After dinner, like a couple of teenagers, they carved their initials into the table, outlining them with an odd-shaped heart. Now, her hand reached out to touch the carving, but drew back; it was just too painful.

She picked up her teacup and looked around the room. Half-filled boxes stared expectantly at her, waiting to be filled and sealed. She turned away, not feeling ready to pack up her life with Ben yet.

Instead, she let the comforting sounds of the ocean waves move her towards a favorite chair by the window, where she sat and closed her eyes. “I’ll rest for just a minute,” she thought to herself, pulling an old afghan blanket onto her lap.

But the memories of their move into this house would not let her rest. What a wonderful day that had been; filled with effervescent joy. She could still hear Ben’s laughter and quiet whispers as they made love in their new home, serenaded by the ocean’s waves.

Ten years later, she was alone, packing that life into boxes. A tear rolled from her eye and she swiped at it angrily. She pulled herself from the chair repeating “No more tears.” like a mantra.

She faced the boxes again and shouted angrily at the house. “Stop! Let me go. Don’t you think I’ve had enough?” The house was silent. What could it say? Those memories did not haunt the house; they were her ghosts.

The room had somewhat brightened as the night awakened into a gray foggy day. She decided that she couldn’t be in the house a minute longer. The boxes would just have to wait. She reached into one and pulled out one of Ben’s old brown cardigans.

She quickly tugged the sweater over her head, wanting to escape the house as soon as possible. Immediately, the scent of Ben’s aftershave caught her unawares. She breathed deeply, wishing she could capture it forever, but knowing she couldn’t.

She jerked open the old wooden door that led to the beach and ran down the steps into the thick fog. Before she knew it, the fog had surrounded her and for a second, she was scared.

To be continued…

*          *          *           *          *          *

Things to think about:

What do you think she will discover on the beach?

What do you think happened to Ben?

Have you felt a loss like she feels? If so, how did you handle it?

36 comments to The Journey Begins: Part One

Now I’m really curious for part II. — I felt so bad for her having to leave a place that holds so many fine memories of her lost love…

@ Talon — Sometimes it is hard to let go of things that hold precious memories. Once felt deeply, I don’t believe that love is ever totally lost. Thank you for your comment:~)

2. Davina says:

Hi Sara. Beautifully written piece and congrats on doing “something new”. I love your writing style… there is melancholy and heartache here, yet there is a warmth in between the lines. You’ve painted a picture and have left much up to the imagination. And… this is a perfect place to leave your POOR readers hanging :-)
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..New Lives: Stories of Rescued Dogs =-.

@ Davina — What a nice thing to say! I did worry a bit about the sadness in this story, especially Part One. I hoped people wouldn’t find too depressing and so, I pleased about you feeling the warmth. Thank you:~)

3. Wilma Ham says:

Oh Sara, everything anybody else write I find beautiful.
    I admire writers as I am not one of them.
    My imagination goes wild after reading this and I do want to know your take on it.
    It does resonate with some of my own past hurts, so you did that very crafty.
    Next please. love Wilma
    .-= Wilma Ham´s last blog ..Ann-Marie on Answering questions truthfully =-.

@ Wilma — What do you mean you’re not a writer? Of course you are. I go to your site and always get something special from your words. That’s writing in my book!!! Regarding hurt and how it resonates with your own past, I believe our emotions are the universal language. We all relate and understand them, even if we don’t share a common language.

I hope Part Two will take you past the hurt:~)

4. JC says:

I love the story and have great respect for anyone who exposes themselves like that. I love writing but don’t put it out to the public for fear of rejection. I also think I have I good voice and maybe one of these days I will sing in public to get over my fear. I’m looking forward to the ending since I see her husband dying but I don’t think that is it.

@ JC — So, when will I get to hear you sing? You have depths I didn’t know about:~) Of course, it might be a good idea to get over your cold first! As always…thank you my favorite fan for your support!

5. I love it that you have questions posted; I hadn’t thought about what she might discover on the beach…I hope it’s Ben! I felt like I was in the house experiencing everything with her! thanks! I’m coming back next week to read more (on my birthday!!!)
    -V

@ Victoria — First of all, happy birthday in advance! I hope you plan to celebrate. I’m a great believer in making a big deal about birthdays:~) I really appreciate what you said about experiencing everything with this woman. I wanted this story to touch people’s hearts:~)

6. Absolutely lovely, Sara. I think she might discover a part of herself on that beach, a part that’s been missing awhile. But whatever it is, I’m anxiously awaiting the next installment. I particularly resonated with how you made the house a character that won’t yet let her go. I’m experiencing a bit of that right now in my own life. Thank you.
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..False Evidence Appearing Real: The Movie =-.

@ Patty — That’s interesting what you said about the house. Letting go of someone or something can be very difficult, but it is the way we grow and change. I’ve been there myself and know just how difficult it can be. I hope whatever is going on in your life finds the right resolution for you.

I hope you enjoy Part Two and finding out what this woman discovers. Thank you so much for your kind words about this story:~)

7. suzen says:

I’m hooked – ya got me! Great writing! Yes, I’ve known that feeling of leaving something precious. I hope she finds something in the fog that will resolve that?
    Can’t wait for part two! Write on!

@ SuZen — I’m pleased that you’re hooked:~) I think you’ll find in Part Two that she does find a resolution. I really appreciate your support and thank you for making me feel this was the right thing to do:~)

8. Carol says:

I don’t know, but I can’t wait for part 2 . . .
    .-= Carol´s last blog ..Stress Eating’s Evil Cousin =-.

@ Carol — I’ve not done a series before, but there was no choice as the story was too long for one post. I hope you will enjoy Part Two. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts:~)

9. Sara says:

To all my readers,

This was a big step for me…my own “leap of faith” and I want to thank you for your responses and support. I am very lucky to have such a wonderful group of readers:~)

10. I like the part about the “no more tears” like a mantra…she

Well, Ben of course,she finds.

He went missing from the great corn-boil picnic and she always suspected foul play.

Looking forward to part 2!

xo
    .-= Jannie Funster´s last blog ..First Pictures With My New iPhone 3GS =-.

@ Jannie — It’s time for you to write a story. You do so well with your music, which always tells a story. I think you and your readers would have a blast if you told a fiction story. You have one of the most creative imaginations:~)

I hope you like Part Two.

11. Liara Covert says:

Thanks for choosing to bravely share facets of yourself. Unleashing creative energy is how you decide to reveal true colors.
    .-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..12 Instant revelations =-.

@ Liara — I appreciate what you said about being brave. You are right. While this story is fiction, it does contain parts of my life. It feels good to have released this. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts:~)

12. Oh…so gorgeous…i could actually smell the aftershave…and the soft breeze as she ran towards the ocean…
    I cant wait to read part 2. I love this new fiction series :) I am not much into fiction…but your writing style captivates from the first line.
    As for loss….i have seen far too much. Coping and being in the moment worked to keep me calm to certain point.
    I remember when my dad passed away-I couldnt cry for nearly a month. Mostly cause of the disbelief. But the why i did….oh god i didnt stop for a week. Its important to let it all out.
    With Love,
    Z
    .-= Zeenat | Positive Provocations´s last blog ..Lavish Love =-.

@ Zeenat — You are so nice…thanks for what you said about this story. I agree with you about grief as I had my share and I’ve cried more than my share of tears, but you are right it IS important to let it out:~)

13. Kathy Dobson says:

Hi Sara…
    I am so glad I got here in time to read part I. And, yes, I’ve been in that spot…that spot where we are being asked to “let go”….
    I am assuming that Ben may have passed to the other realm since she reached into a box and pulled out one of his sweaters.
    I am guessing that had they divorced or split he would have taken his belongings with him. On the other hand…I could be suprised!
    I eagerly look forward to part II and the answer!
    Kathy

@ Kathy — I’m pleased that you liked Part One and hope that you will return for Part Two. I will not say anything, but it’s not all gloom and doom. Letting go can sometimes be…”the thing you thought you never could do, but you did.”

14. Chris Edgar says:

Thanks Sara, I really enjoyed this, and I get a sense of how much courage and openness it took for you to share it, although you made that part look easy. :)

@ Chris — Why thank you, sir:~) It wasn’t easy, but I’m really glad I did this. It makes me feel lighter, as if by publishing this story I’ve given something inside me freedom. Come back for Part Two. I think it will complete this story:~)

15. I’ve never written fiction and I’m a bit jealous. :)

Well done!

@ Vered — Thanks for your nice comment. Regarding you writing fiction, there’s a first time for everything! You’re an excellent writer and I have no doubt that fiction would easily be done by you. After all, fiction is just telling a story…a story that’s made up, but almost all fiction has seeds of truth in it. That’s true of this story, as well:~)

16. Melissa says:

Oh Sara! This is beautiful!

I can’t wait to read the next installment. I’ve added some fiction to my blog as well. I love writing. You’ll have to check mine out and let me know what you think.

I also just checked out your “hints” section! I’m sorry I’ve missed it until now. I love that you’ve shared those ideas! Have you ever checked out zenhabits.net? It’s similar to your hints.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Misty Afternoon =-.

@ Melissa — I’d love to read your fiction writings and will pop over to check them out. I will check out zenhabits.net, but first I’ll visit you:~)

17. Hi Sara, I don’t suppose you could write such a beautiful story.
    Thanks for sharing with us. :)
    .-= Arswino @ Inspirational Quotes´s last blog ..A Child’s Angel =-.

@ Arswino — You’re welcome about sharing this story. I loved this opportunity. That’s what’s so neat about blogging…you can put things out there and see if they fly and there are so many wonderful bloggers, like you, who do just that:~)

18. Serena says:

OH, I have felt that same heartache and emotional pain after a relationship split. For months I went into a deep, dark depression until, one day, I just woke up one morning and felt drawn to doing something creative so went crazy over Feng Shui….playing with Feng Shui is what helped me climb out of the well of depression and heal.

Great story, Sara! I love that she’s near the sea. If she doesn’t get back with Ben, I would like to think that she has been widowed rather than divorced. I can’t wait to read Part Two.
    .-= Serena´s last blog ..MONDAY PHOTO-A-WEEK =-.

@ Serena — I am pleased that you liked this story so far. Also, that you found your own way out of depression/grief. I think that’s what I like about this story — it’s a sharing of loss. We’ve all felt it in some form, perhaps not the same as my character, but most of know it’s sting.

I also appreciated your comment about the sea. Given that the sea is my soul ground and the place I go to recover and in touch with my true self, I couldn’t have had go through this in any other place. Thanks for sharing your thoughts:~)

19. Tony Single says:

I think she’ll discover a boat and use it to drift across the sea to greener pastures, or get wrecked on the rocks trying… the sea can be capricious that way.
    .-= Tony Single´s last blog ..Taking the Other View =-.