Picture Story: Tree Magic

Picture A

Tree love

I love trees. Since I started taking more nature photographs, trees have become a favorite subject. For me, trees are magic. I love their grace and always feel they have a great knowledge to impart, if only I could speak their language:~)

Sometimes I feel like Haley Joel Osment from The Sixth Sense. He saw “dead people;” I see “tree spirits.” Well, that’s what I like to think they are.

What are Tree Spirits?

Louise Heyden wrote an interesting article about this very subject. When I read it, I liked what she said about tree spirits.

She spoke of how they can be very helpful to both the tree the spirit shares and for people who come in contact with the tree. Here’s what she says a tree spirit is:

“A tree spirit is a type of nature spirit, and effectively the “living soul” of a tree. It has much in the way of wisdom and healing to offer those who are willing to listen and absorb.”

She goes on to say that tree spirits help grow a tree and they are both the “guardian and life force of a tree.” Evidently, they are also excellent healers and that just leaning against a tree can be healing for a human. Personally, I give them a hug!

I like the idea of a tree spirit. I know when I stand next to a giant tree; I do feel a great sense of comfort, as well as power.

Your challenge

Today, I am offering three pictures for you to study. Your challenge is to pick a picture, either A, B, or C .

Once you selected your tree picture, imagine that you are sitting next to this tree or giving it a hug:~)  As you do so, you can feel it’s energy and life force.

You begin to know things about this tree or its tree spirit. When you are ready, consider answering  one or more of these questions in the comment box:

1. What do you know about the tree spirit residing in the tree you selected?

You can name the spirit, talk about its purpose or tell a brief story about it.

2. If you don’t really go for the tree spirit thing, what is this tree telling you about itself?

You can say why this tree is interesting to you, if it reminds you of a person or share what wisdom or knowledge it offers you today.

The first tree picture, Picture A, heads this post. Here are Pictures B and C:~)

Picture B

Picture C

“The tree is more than first a seed, then a stem, then a living trunk, and then dead timber.  The tree is a slow, enduring force straining to win the sky.” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Wisdom of the Sands, translated from French by Stuart Gilber

As always, have fun, be creative and enjoy:~)

26 comments on “Picture Story: Tree Magic

1. This is fun, what a wonderful idea!

I am going to go with picture A. This tree’s spirit is named Gretchen, and this is not the first tree she has shared her energy with. She is very old, though you’d never know it, because her energy is youthful. I feel like she is a sheltering spirit, very maternal and warm. She likes there to be lots of other life around, in the form of the small shrubs, the grass, flowers, and the nearby pond. All of it makes for a harmonious and peaceful feeling. I feel like Gretchen’s life is a slow dance, so slow that she seems still to human eyes, but she is always creating, always bringing grace and beauty, as well as generosity of spirit, to the world. She likes it when people sense her. She leaves them feeling happier and more contented than when they arrived. I like Gretchen!
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..Sober, Sugar. =-.

@ Shay — I think I missed replying to your comment earlier in my replies. That’s what happens when you let things slide:~(

I loved that picked Picture A. It is my favorite. I also loved what you said about Gretchen, especially the part about leaving people happier and more contented. She is a special tree spirit:~)

2. Sara says:

Dear Friends,

My elderly dog is sick right now and requires some special care on my part. She is expected to get better, but I will not be as prompt in my replies to comments. I hope you’ll be patient with me about this.

Thanks,

Sara:~)

3. I love picture C. The limbs look like open arms, inviting everyone in for a hug. This tree is telling me that there is no worry so big that we can’t hug it out. Can you tell I’m a big hugger?

First let me say that I understand that our pets aren’t just pets, they are family. Please take all the time you need for your friend.

Now, I chose picture C.

His spirit is strong and shows strength and character. He has known difficult times as evidenced by the twists and crevices of his trunk, showing all the choices he has had to make. His strong branches reaching upward shows great faith and many different roads traveled. He is steadfast, deeply rooted in family, and longs to embrace life fully season after season.

@ Linda — I like what you said about the tree spirit in Picture C:~) I also feel a wise energy with this tree and a gentleness:~)

5. Sara, I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. I love my animals so much, so my heart goes out to you. Sounds like you could use the comfort of a tree spirit yourself today. And I do believe in tree spirits. Trees are magical. I was especially drawn the third photo. That spirit spoke to me of wisdom, solidness, and a long- and well-lived life. I don’t know it’s name, but I think it’s there to remind us to take our time through life and not rush things.
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..Meaning Mondays: A Gathering of Men Edition =-.

@ Patty — Thanks for your thoughts. It’s more scary than anything else. I could use a tree spirit…maybe I need to make a comment to my own site:~)

It’s interesting that Picture C has drawn people so much. It is also my boyfriend’s favorite. Given what others have said and the similarity of the comments — wisdom, solid/strong, and well-lived life — I say this tree spirit expresses itself very well:~)

Hi Sara .. I too am really sorry to hear about your dog .. I still ‘crave’ mine from 30 years ago! Haven’t had one since .. the wrong sort of life style – so he was special. My thoughts are with you all .. as healing and peace come to the fore.

My choice would be C – especially now .. it could wrap us all in its huge embrace and give us solace, love, peace, care .. all things some of us need just now – and that solidity for the future .. life will continue and things will improve.

All the very best and love from here – Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Women – how much education have women had in the past 2,000 years? =-.

@ Hilary — Thank you for your healing thoughts. I send them back at you given the situation with your mom.

It’s funny, but everyone so far has picked Picture C!!! I find this fascinating and people seem to see this tree as a comfort. As I said to Patty, I believe this indicates a very strong, visible tree spirit:~)

7. Davina says:

Hi Sara.
    I’m glad to hear that your dog is expected to recover. Sounds like she’s in good hands.

Belinda stole my comment :-) I’d made up my mind that the tree in Picture C was a welcoming spirit with opening arms and as I scrolled down I saw she’d written basically the same thing. It look like it’s made the space for people to gather around it and listen to a story.
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..When It’s Not Just I =-.

@ Davina — Well, the hope is that she will fully recover. I have learned that blind dogs seem to have a bit difficulty with her illness. JC and I are doing the best we can. Ms. Dix can be rather stubborn and so getting her outside is quite the challenge as she refuses to be helped…I imagine she’s very much like some people:~)

As I’ve said in every comment so far, you are NOT ALONE! I don’t I’ve ever had where almost everybody has picked the same picture. I think this tree speaks to people and in a very good way:~)

8. talon says:

Sara, hope all is well!

I have to confess that trees make me happy. I love that we are surrounded by so many gracious tree spirits around our home. I’m certain that trees have much knowledge and wisdom to share if we would only be quiet and listen.
    .-= talon´s last blog ..I’m not the only one… =-.

@ talon — Things are okay, but still not great. I’m pleased that you trees make you happy. They do the same for me. When I walk in an area with lots of older trees, I agree that they do seem to talk:~)

9. Sara says:

UPDATE ON MY DOG

My dog has Canine Vestibular Disease, which tends to affect older dogs. It causes them to lose their balance and even lean to one direction or the other. It mimics a stroke, but is not. It horrible to witness as my dog has difficulty standing or going to the bathroom. I have to watch her or she’ll fall if she tries move without help. Fortunately, she does take long naps now:~)

Best way to imagine what she’s feeling is to think of time when you were very, very dizzy, the room was spinning and any movement made you nauseous.

It generally resolves in two to three days, but can take as long as a few weeks. If you are interested, here’s a place with more information about this than you probably ever wanted to know: http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_canine_vestibular_syndrome

10. suzen says:

Hi Sara! First of all my heart goes out to you with your ailing dog. I’ve nursed many, and it is HARD! I hope this resolves itself soon – for both your sakes!

I’d pick tree C – it’s name is Elder Tree. (I have such a tree at the lake house!) I find comfort in this tree, it’s endless wisdom, it’s nurturing peace, it’s well worn history of survival. For SURE lots of hugs to this tree, and I often sit against it and meditate. I SWEAR I can feel its pulse!!!

Ok I sound like a loony but really I am emotionally attached to trees! You’ve hit my two favs – trees and birds! I think you and I would get along famously!
    Hugs
    suZen

@ SuZen — I am pleased to report that my dog is much better:~)

I like that you have a favorite tree to sit against and meditate. I agree that trees and birds are very special:~)

11. Aw, poor pooch. I would actually rather be hurt myself than for anything to be wrong with my dog. They are so dear.

Um…why didn’t I get a reply? Did you not like my tree story?

*sniffle*
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..Lifesavers =-.

@ Shay — I apologize for not replying to your comment. I did love your tree story and have rectified my mistake. Hopefully, you’ll forgive me?

12. …and I picked picture A, not picture C.

*double sniff*
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..Lifesavers =-.

13. talon says:

I’m sorry to hear that about Ms. Dix, Sara. Our last german shepherd, Max, suffered from the same condition. It happened when he was 11. It is heartbreaking to see them unsteady like that. It’s very upsetting for both dogs and owners. I hope she makes a full recovery and a quick one!
    .-= talon´s last blog ..Connections… =-.

@ talon — Thanks for your concern. I hope that Max recovered from it:~) Needless to say, I turned to other bloggers for help. I found one blog where a woman had written about what happened to her dog. She had so many comments that she had to set up another page to accommodate the comments. Evidently, this happens a lot to older dogs and people need to share their thoughts about it.

I got some excellent recommendations from this site. For example, massaging the neck area was a frequently suggested and my dog absolutely loved it. As the dog afflicted tend to lean their heads one way(right or left), the neck muscles get sore. In addition, basic things like putting a bit of meat or chicken juice in a dog’s water will help encourage them to drink and feeding them by hand so they don’t have raise their head helps them eat without becoming dizzy…simple things like that.

14. Tony Single says:

I echo Talon’s sentiments on that one, Sara. I hope Ms. Dix makes a full recovery soon. :(

As for the Picture Story Challenge, I pick Picture B…

This tree does not have a name for it is much older than names. It has seen much during its time on the earth for it has gone spirit walking wherever whim and fancy’s taken it.

Unseen, its spirit gently touches all that it passes, be it a person, a building, another tree.

The people it touches feel more grounded within themselves.

The buildings it touches never collapse.

The trees it touches return the greeting and develop a wanderlust too… and so they set out on their own spirit walks and the cycle continues.

And sometimes when there is wind and rain, if you listen real hard, you’ll hear them doing a special rain dance for the God of the sky.
    .-= Tony Single´s last blog ..Empty Balloons =-.

@ Tony — YEAH…someone picture Picture B. It does look like it could walk. Imagine a whole forest of walking or dancing trees. Great story about this tree, Tony…thanks:~)

15. […] of you who visit my site frequently know I have a strange fascination for trees and […]