One Cute Squirrel

Tallulah, the Big Little Squirrel

Darling, my name is Tallulah. In my previous life, I was a very famous model and actress. My picture graced the covers of countless magazines and I appeared in numerous films. When I died, however, God in wisdom and wicked humor decided I should come back as a cute, little squirrel.

Personally, I think it’s payback for that beautiful squirrel coat I once owned. *sigh* I loved that coat! I pretended it was fake fur, but it wasn’t. I should have known one day I would pay for wearing all those little squirrels!

But that’s not today’s story, darling. Since becoming a squirrel, my picture has not appeared in magazines; well, once I was in National Geographic, but only because I was sitting in a famous oak tree. You could hardly even see me! Me – the most famous and fabulous model…just a small dot in a picture.

I’m pretty well under control of my emotions, but that was enough to make me really angry. I couldn’t look at that picture without turning away. It made me cry. It just wasn’t FAIR!

Little Squirrel, Big Star

The point is I missed seeing my picture on the cover of magazines. I would even sneak into the beauty shop down the road, climb up on the back of the hair dryers and watch as the women flipped through Glamour and other magazines, looking at models.  Naturally, none of them were as good as I had been.

I could stare at a camera in just the most perfect way — turn my head just so and the picture would be to die for. Photographers from all over begged for the opportunity to take my picture, but I was too busy for them.

Now, *sigh” I am just a squirrel. No one is begging for my picture anymore.

Then one day, it happened!!! I was minding my own business, eating out of some lady’s bird feeder, when I heard the CLICK of a camera.

I stared at the window. The lady had her camera focused on little old ME! Of course, I knew she was one of those people taking my picture just because I was a cute little squirrel, but I decided to show her my true stuff!

I hopped over to her window sill and posed for her. I turned my head so she had my best side and she took picture after picture.

Head-shot One

Head-shot Two

Head-shot Three

This Squirrel is a Natural

I was modeling again and, darling,  it felt so good. I can’t even describe how good it felt. I wanted it to go on and on but then Bandit, the crazy cat next door, decided at that moment to come over for a visit. I had leave quickly.

Later, after our photo shoot, I was sitting in the bush outside her window, and overheard her tell her boyfriend that she was going to put my pictures up at her site so all her readers could see how cute I was.

While I don’t particularly like being called cute, the idea of ALL her readers seeing my pictures was worth the posing. I thought so!

Who knows, maybe my pictures will seen by Ted Forstmann who directs that fancy New York modeling agency. Darling, I hear they are the best of the best. I bet a squirrel model could be the newest style!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to see these pictures, which saddens me. But I know in my heart of hearts that I gave her my best.

Please, if you are a reader of this lady’s blog, take a look at my head shots! I, Tallulah, posed for those pictures. No other squirrel would even come close to my looks!

I am the most beautiful squirrel model there is. This article and these pictures are a testimony to my talent.

I’m a photographer’s dream come true; born for you — the nature lover.

Remember my name is Tallulah and I once graced the covers of fancy magazines and photographers begged to take my picture. Sara is one lucky lady…and so are all of you.

*     *     *     *     *     *

Note to Readers:

There will be no post on Monday, May 24, 2010.

33 comments on “One Cute Squirrel

1. JC says:

I love Tallulah even though I wish she would go on Broadway and get off my feeder. I have to go and fix it again. She’s such a ham!

@ JC — Hey, Tallulah’s not a dumb squirrel. She knows where to find the good stuff. To her, the bird feeders are just another restaurant. Now, I’m not sure whether she ranks them a 4 star restaurant or not, but I agree given the amount of time she spends on them….they ought be:~)

I love Tallulah, too. She has the “look”. She’s going places you just wait and see. Thanks for letting her tell her story.

@ Linda — I am so pleased you liked Tallulah. She came with the post and really wanted to tell her story in her words. I am glad you enjoyed it.

BTW I have really enjoying your posts lately, especially the photos. Then again, I’m a sucker for a good photograph:~)

Thanks for visit, Linda:~)

3. Tony Single says:

Sara, that was FUN! :)

If that was you doing the telling, may I say that you have a knack for getting into character! Tallulah is a fabulous little squirrel full of life and sass! And she’s right… the camera LOVES her!

Bravo!

@ Tony — YEAH!!! I was so worried about how this would work, but like I said to Linda, Tallulah really wanted to tell this story and I had to work really hard so she could do it. Evidently, WordPress requires a special “audio” plugin, which I don’t have at this point. I’m so non-techie, that it took days of research and trials to realize I was just missing the right plugin.

I am so pleased you enjoyed Tallulah. She is a pretty remarkable squirrel, isn’t she?

4. That is just too cute by half. I love it!
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..Little Girl Blue =-.

@ Shay — Thank you. It was fun to do and Tallulah made it easy. She really did want to tell the story in her words!

5. Patricia says:

Oh this is just way too cute! Loved it…
    Thank you for your picture taking skills and story telling delights.

I will just come back on the 24th and hear it again.

My comment luv is working late shift….sorry
    .-= Patricia´s last blog ..Book Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay ~ Michael Chabon =-.

@ Patricia — Tallulah will be delighted if you visit her again and both of us are pleased that you enjoyed her story. She’s totally delighted that you noticed her pictures. Perhaps you have contacts in a modeling agency? Tallulah really wants to be a famous squirrel model:~)

I loved your book review. You made the book very interesting, but I loved the most was your writing. It made it more than just a good book review, it made it a special Patricia’s book review. Will there be more? I hope so:~)

LOL! That is brilliant, Sara! I loved it! Tallulah will never be forgotten! I loved your narration and Tallulah’s life story. Please tell Tallulah that your readers appreciated her beauty and the fabulousness of those headshots :)
    .-= Talon´s last blog ..An East Wind… =-.

@ Talon — thanks for coming by. I will pass on your kind words the next time I see Tallulah at the bird feeder. She will be thrilled about your comments on her head shots. She did pose nicely, didn’t she.

As the photographer, I have never had a squirrel do what Tallulah did. She literally did hop over to my window sill, which is about a foot away from my computer and she posed. She let me take numerous pictures and never once left window. I couldn’t believe it….that’s how I knew it had to be Tallulah, the modeling squirrel:~)

7. Chania Girl says:

I really enjoyed this, Sara. I heart Tallulah!

(Now, thanks to you, I also have Tori Amos’s “Tallulah” going through my head … which isn’t really a bad thing … .) :D
    .-= Chania Girl´s last blog ..Guess What? I’m Not Perfect =-.

@ Chania Girl — Tallulah loved the idea of “I heart Tallulah!” I’m sure she’d love it if T-shirts were made with that slogan…maybe mini ones that she distribute to her squirrel friends…as long they made of cotton:~)

I haven’t heard Tori Amos’s “Tallulah” I like the song. I didn’t realize it was from the movie, Twister!!

Later, if I see Tallulah on the feeder, I’ll play this for her. I’m sure be delighted to know Tori named a song after her…even if Tori changed the spelling of her name:~)

8. Hi Sara,

Love it. Tallulah is a beauty. Because of you, her story lives on.

Roll out the red carpet. She’s a star!

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed the originality of this post. Great job, Sara.
    .-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..Blog Badges – Beneficial Or A Waste Of Space? =-.

@ Barbara — Wow. Your comment makes me feel wonderful. I was nervous about doing this experiment and it was a challenge, not having the audio plugin. On the other hand, Tallulah’s voice came out immediately with this post. I know its sound silly, but she wanted to tell this story in her own voice and it was up to me to find a way.

That’s what’s so much fun about blogging. You can experiment and try different things. I am learning so much about myself as I write. I have accepted that my site will most likely never get tons of visitors; it’s a bit too odd. On the other hand, I have lots of fun and love all the people who do visit! Thanks to you and others, blogging has allowed to release my creativity in ways I never imagined:~)

9. Hi Sara – What a blast! I loved it. Very, very clever. Fantastic story. And getting to hear your sweet Southern accent was such a gift. That’s something I miss so much, hearing each other’s voices in blogland. Oh, and the photos. I just couldn’t stop looking at them. Those headshots are simply astounding!
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..The Trust Dilemma, Or Too Much Coke =-.

@ Patty — I am glad you enjoyed this. You sort of started this idea with your “Singing Post.” I have to honest with you, however, I actually do NOT normally speak with a Southern accent. When I first read the post aloud, something I do regularly, Tallulah’s voice came with the post….I know this wacky…but that’s what happened and that’s how Tallulah came to be.

As I said to someone else, I could not believe this squirrel sat on my window sill and let me take picture after picture. Most disappear the minute I raise my camera! Not this one. She seemed to be modeling for me and she enjoying it. BTW the head shots were not enlarged in any way. That’s how close she was:~) Don’t you just love animals…they never to amaze me:~)

Thank you very much for your comment. BTW I liked the post about “trust” very much:~)

Hi Sara .. what fun .. and I love how Talulah gets up close and very comfortable .. aren’t her eyes wonderful – you can see the depths .. – she’s recognised here that’s for sure ..

Have a fantastic weekend .. bye for now .. Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Dumbarton and Corgarff Castles =-.

@ Hilary — I am so happy that you had fun with this post…that’s what I hoped would happen. I know the pictures are surprising. I have never been able to photograph a squirrel this close and I agree with you about the eyes.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend yourself and that the weather lets lots of new flowers open their faces to the sun…just for you:~)

11. Dot says:

That’s a squirrel with PERSONALITY!

@ Dot — You got that right. She’s a character!!!

Thanks for stopping by, Dot….I always love your comments:~)

12. Oh Sara – This is wonderful! I promise that if I ever need a squirrel model, I know exactly where to look!
    What a wonderful way to spend a break on Friday – and with such gorgeous company!
    Thanks
    .-= The Exception´s last blog ..There is so much more… =-.

13. OMG Sara! This was super cute! And your oooppss Talullah’s accent is so sassy.
    Youre so talented with this kind of stuff Sara,
    I am glad you and talullah found each other..otherwise we would’ve never seen and heard her lovely sassy voice.
    Ingenious!
    Loved it so much….I am gonna listen to it again :)
    Much Love,
    Z~

@ Zeenat — I am glad you enjoyed Tallulah. She’s quite a character!

Thanks for the visit, Zeenat:~)

14. Davina says:

Hi Sara.
    This WAS brilliant! The photos are spectacular and you told the story with attitude. I still can’t believe you got all these shots of Talullah. When I look at her head shots I can’t help but grin :-D She’s a cutie… even though she’s so full of herself, lol.
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..Dial-1-2-1-Muse =-.

@ Davina — Thanks. I know Tallulah was quite the model. Unfortunately, she’s been on vacation…I think she went to Cancun, Mexico because she felt her fur was getting a bit faded. She doesn’t believe in fake stuff. I must agree with you, she is very full of herself, but that’s what makes Tallulah…well, Tallulah:~)

15. Joy says:

Sara,
    Stunning photos…very fun story! Creatively shines, and inspires me….
    Thank you!
    .-= Joy´s last blog ..Fearless Fun Friday: Dancing on the Dock…. =-.

16. Chris Edgar says:

Wow, what close-ups — I can practically see the entire anatomy of the squirrel’s eye, and even a pretty clear reflection of what the squirrel is looking at.

@ Chris — Thanks. I know squirrels have BIG eyes…I guess the better to see the nuts with. If you saw a reflection in Tallulah’s eye it would naturally be of a camera. She’s rather taken with them as long as they are taken with her:~)

17. Talullah sure knows how to strike a pose! Those headshots are stunning and her voice, well, she’s a supermodel!

I really enjoyed this, Sara. So creative, as always.

@ Belinda — Tallulah has lots of fun posing. She provided many other pictures, but because my windows still need cleaning, they were a bit marred by dust spots.

I am pleased that you enjoyed this post:~)