Story Photo: The selection is…

Balance

Photograph by sara b. healy

The winning picture

The overwhelming vote was for the beach scene (selection #4)!!!

I am delighted that this picture was selected. It is a special one for me. When I took it, the name that came to me immediately was “balance.”

I selected it to be in my 2010 picture calendar and gave it this quote:

“Dare to test your balance every once in awhile.”

Once this picture is framed and put in that empty spot in my office, I will take another photograph to show you how it fits. I’m even thinking of adding the quote in a cut out box along with the picture.

I say thank you

To everyone who participated in this “vote,” I appreciated your help in selecting a picture for my wall.

For those who did not choose this picture, but picked another….know that I love all the others, as well. That’s why I needed your help!

Back at work

I’m back from vacation. I can report that the beach we went to in Northwest Florida, Cape San Blas, was completely oil free. We had beautiful weather and a wonderful time.

I’ll be back visiting very soon. I’ve missed my blogging friends:~)

38 comments on “Story Photo: The selection is…

Hi Sara .. trust you had an excellent peaceful time and feel refreshed .. good to have you back.

Delighted you chose ‘my picture’? It’ll be great to see it in situ ..

Re the oil .. did you know there’s more oil being let loose into the Niger Delta than there is in the Gulf of Mexico .. ? Not good to think about ..

let alone at all the plastic in the Pacific Ocean, caught in a sort of Sargasso sea, that just slowly ‘dissolves’ its petroleum make up into the Ocean, while ensnaring birds an fish in the water, or the pellets of plastic that sink .. to be eaten .. and subsequently kill the fish and marine life ..

It’s not good .. and we all need to do our bit and a little more .. with a hug or two and a welcome back – Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..A Century of Aces Afghanistan to Zimbabwe =-.

@ Hilary — I did have a good time…so much so that I didn’t want to come back, but that just means the vacation was good for me:~)

I am currently considering frame ideas, especially since I plan to incorporate the quote.

I didn’t know that about the Niger Delta…was it due to an accident or is it regular practice???? I hate to think it’s a regular thing. I try to stay positive about this. I love these beaches and hate to think of them being spoiled. On the other hand, perhaps this accident will teach us to pay more attention to our environment and use more environmentally friendly power resources.

As always, thanks for the visit:~)

2. Tony Single says:

And we’ve missed you too, Sara. It’s wonderful to have you back! 🙂

I think the photo that everyone voted for is a good selection. I can’t wait to see how that will look on your wall. I don’t think I can quite picture it yet, so it’ll be very interesting to see!

I’m listening to a song called “Between Bare Trees” as I type this. Strange coincidence, eh? 😛

@ Tony — If you could see my office in total, you’d realize this picture will fit, as would any of the others…well except “none of the above.”

My office is very eclectic. It’s sort of a “mememe” place in that I have lots of my own art and pictures up, including a giant picture of the one time I actually tried painting. I’m definitely better at photography!! I like this room because it’s so varied. I look around it and I smile:~)

3. Shay says:

Omg. You have a calendar, I haven’t got a copy? How can this be???? How do I get one?
    .-= Shay´s last blog ..Savanna =-.

@ Shay — It’s a bit late in the year for the 2010 calendar, but I put one out every year. It’s a fun project for me:~)

Glad your back and hope you had lots of fun. What ever you did or did not do.
    .-= desk49´s last blog ..Ashes =-.

@ desk49/Ellis — I had the most fantastic time and I actually didn’t do much at all. Just sat about and read or walked the beach…it was marvelous:~)

I’m so glad you and JC had a lovely vacation, Sara. And relieved to hear the oil hasn’t shown up there.

Yay! I loved number 4. It’s the sort of photo that gives you something new to feast on every time you look at it.

Can’t wait to see it residing in its new location. 🙂

Shay, the calendar is beautiful. I enjoy it every day.
    .-= Talon´s last blog ..The dramatic welkin =-.

@ Talon — Thank you, ma’am:~) It will be fun putting this one up. I may even take pictures of the other parts of my little office space. It’s crammed with lots of stuff I love and, as I said to Tony, is rather eclectic. I guess I’d have to clean up first…hmmm…maybe we’ll wait on that:~)

6. Meredith says:

Yay! I’m so glad you chose this one, Sara — and I would add that awesome cutline, myself. I love how you interpreted the scene. Very inspirational!

Welcome back and glad you had a wonderful break. 🙂
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..fat cabbage =-.

@ Meredith — Thanks about the picture. I do plan to add the cutline.

I wish I could say I was totally happy to be back, but I’m still hearing the siren call of the beach wave spirits. Fortunately, I’ve heard their call will lessen in time:~)

I’m glad you picked one
    and I’m glad your back
    also I’m hope you had fun

8. Lori says:

Welcome back!
    I love the photo and am looking forward to seeing it in its new home.

We missed you, too.
    *smooch*
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Your Body is a Fortress- Part 10 – Training for Old Age =-.

@ Lori — You are so nice. I like the choice, but then again I liked them all. It was nice that one was the overwhelming favorite…it made things easier.

Thanks for missing me. Hugs back at you:~)

Glad you’re back and I hope you had a good time. The picture choice was a good one, even though I voted otherwise. It was really tough choosing (as you well know). The beach scene was my favorite of all, but chose the other because of the color. I was drawn by the green. I, too, look forward to seeing the picture in that spot.

I like the “balance” quote. You should add that.

@ Linda — It’s interesting how people did notice the colors in the room. I’ll have to pay attention to that with my frame selection. Thanks for participating in this!!

10. Kelvin Kao says:

Back from vacation, eh? I expect pictures!! 😀
    .-= Kelvin Kao´s last blog ..Bottle Monster Unboxes an iPad =-.

@ Kelvin — The pictures will slowly creep into my blog. I’ve taken so many beach pictures now that I’m sure some readers are tired of seeing them.

BTW I loved your post about the iPad. The use of the puppet made me laugh all through the post. It was a very creative video:~)

11. Alien Ghost says:

Welcome back sara!

Hope you had a very relaxing time and feel re-energized now back home.

Congratulation on the picture selection! I like your explanation of why you like it so much, I didn’t see it that way but now that you mention it, yep, you’re right, especially in those words: “To me that’s what this picture represents; trusting that your foundation or “roots” are strong enough for you to go after something that tests your mettle:~)”

So you took many pictures? Why do I feel like we’re going to be tested soon! 🙂

Let’s us know when your calendar will be available.

Raul
    .-= Alien Ghost´s last blog ..Digital Face =-.

@ Alien Ghost — Thank you for the welcome back. Right now, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with trying to catch up. I really do NOT work on my vacations, which means I DO work harder when I get home.

I always find pictures for my photo challenges wherever I go. It’s the fun part of picture taking for me and it helps me see things I might normally ignore…you’ll be tested:~)

Thanks for mentioning my calendar. I do one every year…you’ll hear about it:~)

12. Colleen says:

Very nice picture selection. I opted for no picture (had to be a dissenter, eh). Welcome back! 🙂
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Three Rivers Community Roundtable’s 2010 Summer Workshop =-.

@ Colleen — Thanks for welcome back.

Dissenters are always welcome at my site:~) I’d hate to have a sight where everyone had to agree with me. I think it’s equally interesting to find out why someone doesn’t like something as it is why they did.

13. Hey –

Glad you are back and hope that you had a wonderful vacation. All the pictures were beautiful – including this one. I love that you have called it Balance.

@ The Exception — You are too nice. I generally name my pictures; some the name comes immediately and others it appears over time:~)

14. Davina says:

Welcome back, Sara! 🙂 Interesting how this picture is the winner, considering where you’ve come from on your vacation. Neat eh?
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..Write from the Journal- Paging the Critic =-.

@ Davina — LOL You are so right…it does fit, doesn’t it. And the other nice thing is that when it’s framed and on my wall it will remind me of two things — the beach and balance.

I loved your post, Write from the Journal – Paging the Critic:~) I think it’s an excellent reminder for all writers:~)

15. Great picture, but then again I liked all of them. I like the caption you gave it because for me, balance is is somewhat of a myth. Even if I were to chase it, I don’t know that I’d find it or want to keep it.

@ Belinda — Thanks about the picture:~) That’s interesting what you said about balance. I’m curious about what makes you believe it’s a myth and the reasons you might not want to keep it, if you found it. I’d like to know more…perhaps this might be a post at sometime?

16. Patricia says:

Hope it was a great vacation and restfully refreshing – nice to get away and not be in an oily spot. (That is so awful to think about all that oil)

I enjoyed the picture and the title is so perfect. I think I did not vote. I have my achievements on the wall to remind myself that I did once do lots of academics and accomplished quite a bit. My favorite wall hanging is a fabric, lacy heart covered in buttons where I keep prayer requests, which I take out the slips of paper and read before each meditation session. It reminds me that I am not alone.

Your calendar must be beautiful as you have such an exquisite eye for life and explanations. Thank you for sharing.
    .-= Patricia´s last blog ..5 In 2 =-.

@ Patricia — That’s so cool about the wall hanging. You should think about writing about it. I like the idea of putting your prayer requests there. It’s a special gift to yourself that is constantly with you. How nice:~)

17. Liara Covert says:

The mind evokes conditioned ideas when physical eyes gaze into pictures. To allow the heart to feel the energy vibration of an image results in another kind of experience. Some of those defy words
    .-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..Practice the Middle Way =-.

@ Liara — That’s an interesting concept — the energy vibration of an image. It is very true that some photographs seem to speak to me…not in real words, but they stand out more than others and it’s not due to beauty of the picture. I’ll have to think about this. Thank you:~)

18. Welcome back Sara,

WooHoo! That’s the picture I voted for. It’s a beauty and I think it will look awesome on your wall. I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks all framed and hung.
    .-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..They Lied There Is No King =-.

@ Barbara — Thank you about the picture — it was the favorite. Now I just need to get going on the framing!!

Regarding our vacation, I can’t decide if I really happy to be back…the beach was soooo nice and cool. It made me forget how hot and muggy the rest of Florida is. I should be used to by now, since I’ grew up in Florida:~)

19. Joy says:

Sara,
    I love that you named your photo “Balance”…
    From the descriptions you provided of your office and your time..perhaps Balance fits quite well where it shall be placed…
    Glad you enjoyed your vacation..I happen to think beach time is a necessity in life..*grin*….welcome back:)
    .-= Joy´s last blog ..Wednesday Wisdom- A Threshold… =-.

@ Joy — Thank you about the name of photo. It will be an excellent reminder to me about finding my balance — sometimes I think I dare to test my balance a bit too often:~)