Story Photo: End the Story

Note: I want to apologize to anyone who tried to access my site on late Friday and Saturday this week and found my site down. The problem hopefully has been corrected:~)

Sea nymphs, Greek gods and magic balls

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful sea nymph named Idothea. She was the daughter of Proteus, a prophetic old sea-god and the herdsman of the seals of Poseidon. She loved her father very much and they lived peacefully among the seals.

One day, however, Lamia, a shark-shaped sea Deamon rushed into the seal herd and began to kill them. Porteus immediately came to the aid of his precious seals. Lamia captured him as her prisoner, which had been her original purpose.

She told Idothea that she would release her father if Idothea brought her a human man to eat within a week. You see Lamia’s favorite meal was not seals. No, she was the devourer of men, especially sailors.

Because of massive storms, attributed to global warming created by the excesses of the Greek gods, human men had been unable to go out in their boats. As Lamia’s powers depended on her diet of sailors, she was becoming desperate.

Finding help

Idothea was terrified, but determined to find help. She went to the Nereides and told her story. The Nereides wanted to help, but as the protectors of sailors, they could not. Instead, they came up with a different solution.

They told Idothea that she had to find three glass magic balls. While each of these glass balls had separate powers, they were most powerful when used together.

The Nereides told Idothea how to find the glass balls and what she had to do with them to save her father. It would not be an easy task….

What is the ending?

Idothea needs your help in creating the ending of this story. She needs to find the magic glass balls and then use them to save her father. This is where the challenges come into play:~)

As usual, there are two challenges. You can do both or just one; it’s up to you.

The Challenge

You can choose to answer one, two or all of these questions. Of course, the more you answer; the more you help Idothea:~)

• Where can Idothea find the glass balls?
  • What are the powers of each ball?
  • How do the glass balls gain additional power when put together?
  • What does Idothea have to do with the glass balls to release her father?

The Special Challenge

Using no more than 156 words, write the ending of this story, using the questions above.

31 comments to Story Photo: End the Story

Challenge:
    1. Where can Idothea find the glass balls?
    Idothea was told she could find the three glass balls east of the Japanese islands in the deepest abyss where the Great whales hunt for the giant squids.
    2. What are the powers of each ball?
    The red ball is full of pain, the blue ball is full of fear, and the green one will give you the feeling of helplessness each ball is good for only 1 hours.
    3. How do the glass balls gain additional power when put together?
    Each ball will last a life time but two used together will last two life times and all three will last three life times.
    4. What does Idothea have to do with the glass balls to release her father?
    She had to fight and make Lamia leave and never come back again by tying the three glass balls around Lamia and breaking as many as she can.

The Special Challenge {139 words}

Idothea got two of her whale friends and as they entered the abyss the whale let out powerful hunting cries. The giant squids ran for cover and Idothea swooped in and grabbed the three glass balls.
    Quickly she found Lamia and waited until she was asleep then tied the three balls around her tail. Idothea then throw a rock and broke the red balls. Lamia woke up in great pain screaming. Idothea quickly broke the blue ball. Lamia was in so much pain and fear she thrashed around and broke the green ball herself. Now in pain, fear and helplessness, she left and was never seen in those waters again. Idothea open the case and let her father out.

Everyone knows anyone with a set of glass balls is no good in a fight.

@ Ellis — Super great story and answers. I thought your take on this was interesting. When I first read that the balls represented pain, fear and helplessness, I couldn’t figure where you’d go with this. I had envisioned the balls as being helpful to Idothea’s strengths, but you turned this around and made them weaken Lamia. So clever, my friend:~)

Also, thanks for doing both challenges:~)

RATS:
    that was ones life time not (only 1 hour)

2. What are the powers of each ball?
    The red ball is full of pain, the blue ball is full of fear, and the green one will give you the feeling of helplessness each ball is good for ones life time.
    .-= desk49´s last blog ..Off to War and Back Again- =-.

This was a fun challenge, that required some thought. I chose to write an ending to the story in 154 words.

The red ball contains the power of heat – it can make the water boil. The blue ball contains the power of cold – it can freeze any living creature. The green ball has the power to erase events from memory.

Idothea can find the red one in a hole in the ocean floor, the blue one lies in the hold of a pirate ship, and the green one is guarded by a giant octopus. She must brave great danger to collect all three.

He who controls all three balls has the power to vanquish demons by simply focusing on them and willing them to be gone, and erase everything from the memories of the victims.

Idothea, having successfully obtained the balls, focuses her thoughts upon the shark-demon until he is obliterated. Her father is freed, and all is as if nothing ever happened. Idothea and her father returned to their idyllic life among the seals.

@ Linda — See, you prove my point to myself. Somehow, I knew this story required more than the normal 150 words and I’m so pleased you wrote your story. I liked how what you had the balls represent. It was well done and thanks for participating:~)

4. Where can Idothea find the glass balls?
    The glass balls appear in that small window of time between drowsiness and sleep. The catch: the seeker needs to catch the balls with an alert mind and a noble intention in his/her heart.

What are the powers of each ball?
    Green = wakefulness and sharpness of mind, action, and intention. This is also the most slippery of all three. Idothea must catch this first. (But how when she’s tired and sleepy?)
    Blue = the means by which the seeker is able to fulfill her/her intention (in Idothea’s case, a portal that leads her to where Proteus is)
    Red = a shield from danger (in this case, protection from Lamia’s wrath descctructive powers)

How do the glass balls gain additional power when put together?
    When these glass balls fuse together, they turn whomever obtains them into a kick-ass superhero.

What does Idothea have to do with the glass balls to release her father?
    She has to obtain the balls in this order: green, blue and red. They then fortify her good mind and heart and shield her from Lamia in order to do one last thing to save Proteus: find out where Lamia’s destructive instinct resides and blow it a kiss in order to tame her and release her basically good self.

@ Belinda — I loved how you gave this such a positive spin, even allowing Lamia to redeem herself. I also liked that you made the challenge for Idothea challenging:~) in that she had get the glass ball in the “small window of time between drowsiness and sleep” and the green “wakefulness” ball came first. Great ending:~)

5. Meredith says:

The glass balls are found nestled within the here and now, in each moment of Idothea’s life. *But* she can only see them when she gets really present and still and overcomes her fear and worry for her father and her anxiety that she’s not up to the task before her. Once that happens, they show themselves naturally: a neon pink one nestled in the tendrils of a passing jellyfish, an orange one that could blend in with the coral if you weren’t paying attention, and an emerald green one entangled in a swirl of kelp.

The balls contain the power of harmony, impermanence, and acceptance, and when put together, they allow poor Lamia (hey, Deamons deserve sympathy, too) to shed the terrible curse of immortality and join in the cosmic dance of birth and death again. She is now in harmony with the way the earth — and indeed, so far as we know the entire cosmos — is designed, to go through cycles and renew itself from within, with no part cut off or withheld from the energy of the whole for long. She is also subject to the universal reality of impermanence, and does not have to watch helplessly while everything around her fades and disappears, day after day, year after year, century after century.

And she is granted acceptance so she may die with grace and a grateful heart. In fact, she is so thankful for her release and redemption that she releases Idothea’s father and with her last joyful breath blesses the Earth and all creatures on it, especially the human beings, giving us a smidgen more time to figure out that we’ve only got one planet to live on before the amplifying feedback loops of global climate change cause worst-case scenario consequences. ;)

How am I doing?
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..help- I’m melting… =-.

@ Meredith — Well, it’s a few more than 156 words, but it well done. I think it’s interesting that you, like Belinda, saved Lamia from her “evil” self. Your focus on Lamia “recovery” was very interesting. Also, the wrap-up was fun:~)

One other thing I enjoyed was how you had the balls show themselves. I loved what you wrote: “a neon pink one nestled in the tendrils of a passing jellyfish, an orange one that could blend in with the coral if you weren’t paying attention, and an emerald green one entangled in a swirl of kelp.” It is so appropriate for the sea, as camouflage is essential to life there:~)

6. Meredith says:

Oops… pretty sure I forgot all about that word limit part. Must remember to read instructions carefully. ;)
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..help- I’m melting… =-.

Sara, this was a toughie! But I somehow managed to get it done in 156 words – no more, no less – lol!
    _________________________________

Special Challenge:

The glass balls of red and blue and green hung with the silver and gold balls from the magic tree in the Garden of Knowledge. Idothea was instructed to cross the bridge over the Sea of Hope at exactly midnight and, if she was deemed worthy (meaning pure of heart and intention), she would gain access to the garden. She would easily find the glowing balls hanging from the magic tree even in the darkness.

After long, scary moments, the wrought iron gates that extended far up into the night sky remained stubbornly closed.

Broken-hearted, Idothea returned home. Seals gathered, patting her back with warm flippers, wishing they could help.

Idothea fell into an exhausted sleep and dreamed her father escaped Lamia. She woke, praying it was true. And there stood her father. He had escaped while Lamia was preparing a broth for the sailor she thought she would soon feast upon. Everyone, save Lamia, rejoiced.

_______________________

And now I can read everyone’s replies :)
    .-= Talon´s last blog ..The Great Blue =-.

@ Okay…I loved the story, but you’ve left me hanging. I guess this is fair trade for making you fit everything into 156 words:~) So, why wasn’t Idothea deemed worthy?

8. Tony Single says:

Where can Idothea find the glass balls?
    At Harrid’s Horrid Knick Knack Shack on the Follywood Walk of Fame in Lexington, New Olde York. There’s a sale on at the moment; everything’s fifty percent off of the three hundred percent mark up the day before! Bargain!

What are the powers of each ball?
    By themselves? Useless. But when you combine them, they form a magic 4D RGB display that allows the user to step into a better world that cancels out the one they just left.

How do the glass balls gain additional power when put together?
    Whoops! Already answered that one… :P

What does Idothea have to do with the glass balls to release her father?
    Well, really, she can just start all over again in her new world, only this time she gets to be Queen of All That Is, and her father will have to do everything SHE says! So there!

@ Tony — Try saying Harrid’s Horrid Knick Knack Shack five times in a row…thank goodness you make Idothea do this:~) You are funny. I like the idea of Idothea being “Queen of All That Is” and stepping into a new RGB world…were you working on coloring images when you wrote this?

Excellent ending, Tony…

9. Idothea can find the glass balls at the bottomless pit of the sea where the sea witch Imola leaves but she has to get through all the evil spirits that guide the entrance to the sea witch’s seal skin tent. Will be tough but can be done with a little thing called faith.

There’re 3 balls: One has the power of love, the other has the power of earth and the third contains the power to control the sea.

When put together with a drop of burnt seaweed and and a kiss from a young sea horse they create a full a human being but without a soul, means he’s like a zombie. If you need one with a soul then you have to add a scale from a gold fish :) But all we need here is a zombie for Lamia the sea demon to feed on and release Porteus.

Idothea has to combine the above ingredients minus the goldfish scale and arrange the balls to form a triangle with the drop of burnt seaweed and a young sea horse will kiss each of the balls and presto you have your zombie.
    Then she has to take that Zombie to Lamia and she will release her father.

Loved playing and thank you for coming to visit me Sara, loved your thoughts.

Special Challenge:

Idothea had so much faith and love for her father so she set sail to the bottomless pit of the sea where the sea witch leaved and where she could the three magical balls. Getting to the entrance, the evil spirits offered her all the riches under the sea and she could forget all about the balls but she refused and offered to die in place of her father. The evil spirits were so taken by this that they let her in and the sea witch impressed gave her the balls. She sailed back to Lamia’s abyss grabbing some burnt sea weed and a young sea horse on the way. Reaching Lamia’s gate she placed the stones on the ground with the sea weed in the middle, let the sea horse kiss them and a zombie was born. She called out to Lamia who gladly gave back her father to her in exchange for the zombie.

Wild Rose~
    .-= Julliette O (LarvK)´s last blog ..Gold on Film =-.

@ Wild Rose — I enjoyed the idea of a “zombie” being created in place of real person. That’s very creative. I also like the ritual that Idothea had to perform; it was very detailed and she had better NOT add the goldfish scale. I’m pleased that you had fun with this. It delights me so much to see how unique the responses are to this challenge. I have some very creative people in blogging community:~)

p.s. You get gold stars — I couldn’t remove the scale from a poor little goldfish — for doing both challenges:~)

Sara, I figured that she would have a strong desire to do something nasty to Lamia so she wasn’t pure of heart. I know how I’d feel if someone had kidnapped MY dad – lol!
    .-= Talon´s last blog ..Oblivion =-.

11. Oh my, Sara, what stories you have provoked. You, and your readers are brilliant. So I just want to say that if Idothea is still having trouble locating those glass balls, even after all this advice, well, I know a secret place where she can get them. You see, I have a thing for those kind of glass balls myself, and I found them in a magical land called…eBay! Now, if Idothea is going to take a trip there, she will need to pluck up her courage, don her sword and armor, and prepare to do battle in order to get them. But she seems like a game gal, and I have every confidence she will succeed and save the day.
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..Meaning Mondays- August! =-.

@ Patty — Maybe we should pass that on to Idothea…then again, you might get so hooked on eBay that she’d forget her mission:~)

Idothea appreciates your confidence in her. Like you said, with all the excellent suggestions she’s received. I also think she’ll save the day!

Hi Sara .. glad you got the site challenge sorted out … this one I’ll have to skip – got loads going on here .. love the picture .. coloured balls at the seaside have always fascinated me ..their tales .. the seafarers journey .. enjoy the week .. Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Could this be a sitcom – or a break out sitcom Ever had a one word – at a time – conversation Fish and Chips – how do you spell it =-.

@ Hilary — No problem about skipping this one. I’ve sort of heard that you’ve been very busy lately. Have a great week, Hilary:~)

This is easy. She got Albert Pujols to hot the balls into the sea, and a bunch of middle aged men dove in after them, paying no heed whatsoever to life or limb. They were all eaten, but the seals were saved. Albert Pujols got a kiss.
    .-= Fireblossom´s last blog ..Eunice =-.

Hit the balls, not hot the balls. Sheesh. When will I learn to proofread comments???
    .-= Fireblossom´s last blog ..Eunice =-.

15. Colleen says:

Funny thing is the family just watched a movie centered around the Greek gods. I remember when I placed a great deal of credibility in mythology, but I do not anymore. When I think of “magic balls” I’m thinking of men who are humble, yet strong. Perhaps weird, but having a loving husband I have a view of men that might be different than most. I want our 2 sons to follow suit,- be strong, be humble, and lead!
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Livin’ It Up in the Park Fundraiser Benefiting Modern Living Services =-.

16. Liara Covert says:

Being indecisive is like looking for the tortise with a mustache, you look for soemthing that does not exist. As you understand what a tortise is, you no longer seek it is not. When you look for the nature of the glass balls, you are resisting the nature of life. Accept and be grateful for what life gives you. See value in that. Do not ask for more. Only then one re-aligns with inner peace.
    .-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..See through the conflict =-.

17. Kelvin Kao says:

That reminded me… you still owe us an ending to that last fable!
    .-= Kelvin Kao´s last blog ..A Little of Everything =-.

@ Kelvin — Actually, I did put the ending up, but it’s in the comment section, right before Meredith’s comment. I didn’t want to put it on the post because that might spoil things for anyone who stumbles on this post 100 years from now…I mean you never know. Maybe my ancestors will continue to pay to keep this site as a perpetual memorial of me…I can dream:~)

18. Kelvin Kao says:

Ah, should have checked the comment section again. Will go do that now!
    .-= Kelvin Kao´s last blog ..A Little of Everything =-.

@ Kelvin — I love this….You’re the first to acknowledge that it might be good to check the comment section. I have been giving hints to those who comment:~)