Story Photo: Wood Pictures

Knot in Wood

I enjoy taking wood pictures, particularly photos of the knots in wooden boards. For me, a wooden deck or walkway is a portrait gallery of wood faces.

I will see them everywhere in the wooden boards, looking up at me. Some are silly, some seem sad, some smile and others give me the heebie jeebies with their malevolent stare.

Today, I’m giving a sampling of some of my favorite wood faces for you. I picked these because they speak to me. The question is will they speak to you?

Knot Picture One

Knot Picture Two

Knot Picture Three

The Challenge

Look at these pictures and pick the one that speaks to you. Here are some questions you can answer about this wooden face. You can answer all of the questions or you can choose just one…it’s up to you.

1. What is the name of the face in the wooden board?
  2. What emotion does this face show?
  3. What would this face say to you if it could talk?
  4. What would you say to this face if you talked to it?
  5. Did you see something other than a face and if so, what did you see?

Be sure you indicate which picture you picked in the comment box and, if you don’t answer all the questions, indicate which ones you did answer.

Quickie Challenges

1) What’s your favorite subject for photography and why?
2) How old were you when you first learned how to tie a knot?

Have fun, be creative and enjoy:~)

31 comments to Story Photo: Wood Pictures

I guess my comment landed in the twilight zone. :( Sorry!
    I’ll try again later…

Here’s trying again. When I did wrote my comment earlier it didn’t take for some reason. Maybe I had lost connectivity when I hit submit.

Anyway, here is a shortened version.

I love the “knot faces, too. I couldn’t choose between the 3 pictures so I answered questions 1&2 on all three.

#1 is Mr. Happy, a retired circus clown, obviously still very happy.

#2 is Hootie the owl. His demeanor is serious today. There is a forest fire in his area which is threatening the small animal population, also known as his food supply.

#3 is a gnome named Schmuckie. He gets pushed around a lot and right now he is seeing stars.

I don’t know about my first knot, but I could tie my shoes before I started school.

Favorite photography subjects are animals, particularly cats, and sunsets (as I am seldom up for the sunrise). ;)

@ Linda — I laughed about the sunset pictures because I’m the same way. I don’t think I have single picture of a sunrise ’cause I’m usually not up and, if I am up at sunrise, I’m not in the best of moods:~)

I liked all of your answers about the wood knots. I really like how described Schmuckie as seeing stars….that does fit what above his head.

If you like “knot faces,” you should share some of them on your site and maybe even write one of your wonderful short stories about it:~)

1. Joey:
    a. A happy playful kind of a guy.
    b. Hi come out and play.
    c. Sorry I’m typing reply’s.
    d. Two turtles in a pound making ripples
    2. Forbuss:
    a. Kind of a simple bird that likes to watch you
    b. How long have you been playing in my woods?
    c. Just today My friend Joey said you play checkers.
    d. Two snails racing.
    3. Billy Bob
    a. A sad face because he misses his family.
    b. Have you seen Joey and Forbuss I miss them. I’ve been in this fence so long and getting so old I’d like to see them one more time. I think the man is going to replace me for a younger board.
    c. No the man told me his wife told him to just cover the fence with a clear paint because she like to see all the faces looking back at her.
    d. A bird with a long tail setting on a log.

1. Not such a quickie challenge for I have no favorite subject.
    a. Why: Who knows. But something with a lot of colour in it.
    2. I learned to untie them at about 5 when my stepfather would tie us up and put me in a closet. I guess about the same time because I’d have to tie myself back up before he got home from drinking or he would beat me.

@ Ellis — I liked all your replies. I especially enjoyed the other things you saw in these pictures. Once you pointed them out, I could also see them. It took awhile to see the bird, but then it was there!!! I enjoyed your conversations…hopefully, Billy Bob will not replaced anytime soon.

As always, I enjoy your answers to the challenge questions:~)

The #1 face looks like a happy ghoul, #2 reminds me of the frightening face in the painting “The Scream.” #3 looks like a nice man who might have just been walking by and suddenly got sucked into this tree. Forever looking as if he is about to take a puff on his pipe. :)
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Fàilte- contagious and winner

@ Lynn — Your answers are very perceptive. I really like what you said about #3 getting sucked into the tree. It’s also been interesting to read the comments about #2. I also found this one a bit frightening. For me, there was something about that stare. The happy ghoul fits…and it almost time for Halloween:~)

Thanks for taking on this challenge:~)

5. Lori says:

Hi Sara Songbird,
    Oh wow, I’m not the only one who sees faces in intimate objects??? I feel so much better. Only for me, it’s cliff faces (faces in the cliffs/rocks). Literally. ;)

Pic number three really *got* to me for some reason. Wow. Ethereal.

For today, I’ll answer your quickies:
    1) I like to take photos of the ocean. But, usually end up disappointed as they never look as awesome as what I saw in real life. :| I’m working on my photography skills to remedy the situation.
    2) I think I learned to tie a knot from my gramps when we were fishing, tying the knot to the fishing lure. I think I actually remember tying my first shoestring, too. Wow, that was complicated!

I love these images, Sara. Thanks for another awesome post! (Sorry I haven’t been around much, life is throwing me things I’d rather not catch.) ;)
    ~xo (SG)
    Lori´s last blog post ..Three tips for writing- loving- meeting mermaids- and more

@ Lori (Surfer Girl) — I think seeing faces in cliffs must be interesting. Cliffs might it harder to capture the pictures than wooden boards:~)

The ocean is a tough subject. I always find that my eye sees regarding colors and textures doesn’t always translate to a photograph. I take tons of pictures when we’re at the beach and only a few seem to capture what I saw.

Sorry about life throwing you things you don’t want to catch. We’ll have to have a conversation with LIFE and tell it to leave alone…you searching for your perfect wave:~) Seriously, be better soon!

6. Liz says:

Folded three loads today. :) They’re pretty big loads, too, though. ^^

I picked the third one. :P

What is the name of the face in the wooden board? An owl?
    What emotion does this face show? Observant?
    What would this face say to you if it could talk? “Whooo”
    What would you say to this face if you talked to it? “Hey!”
    Did you see something other than a face and if so, what did you see? I saw a face, that looked like an Owl. :)

1) What’s your favorite subject for photography and why?
    Nature. Nature is so beautiful, and not many people seem to understand how precious it is. I also enjoy photography of just … random things. :)

2) How old were you when you first learned how to tie a knot?
    I don’t remember, but deffinitely elementry school. :)

@ Liz — Can you come to my house? I’ve got lots of folding to do…I could keep very busy:~)

I liked your replies to the questions…you definitely saw an OWL:~)

So, you take pictures. Do you share them on your site? I love seeing the photography of other people and I think random things are a very good subject.

Thanks for the participating in the challenge, Liz:~)

7. Shay says:

I don’t know who he is, but #3 is making that Charlie Brown wah wah wah sound.
    Shay´s last blog post ..Bride

@ Shay — I’ve been missing you!!! I hope all is well. The face in #3 does look a bit life weary to me, kind of like Charlie Brown:~)

Come back and visit soon!

8. Naomi says:

Photography is such fun! I love kids and thier radiance and energy (just got back from visiting some of our grandkids, so fresh off the picture ‘tour’!)– also love nature pictures! Your knots are fun!

Picture One –reminds me of a a real smiley, happy person! Maybe Miss Grin ‘n Go!

Picture Two–Looks like a definite person with a question on his mind! Mr. Who Said WHAT?

Picture Three — liked best of the three — The Happy Elfkin..

Fun to ‘stop in’ and see catch up on your blogs! You are sunshine -uplifting and bright –a joy to share!

@ Naomi — Well, hello friend…it’s nice to have you visit. Do you take lots of pictures of your grandkids? I bet you do. I don’t have any grandkids, yet. I get pictures of my kids dogs instead:~)

Nature is one of the best photography subjects, unless it’s a really windy day and you’re trying to take a picture of that perfect rose that just bloomed…I take tons of nature pictures. I’m a great fan of my yard after rains and the sun reemerges. I love light, raindrops and shadows.

Okay, I’m pleased that you took on the challenge….#1 does look a bit like Miss Grin ‘n Go. I think it looks almost goofy:~) #2 he does have a surprised look on his face and #3 your favorite..I like that you saw The Happy Elfkin in this picture. You made me look at differently…that’s what I enjoy so much about doing this Story Photo series. I’m always seeing new in a picture, based on what people who visit see in it. Thanks:~)

9. Chris Edgar says:

Heh, the second and third “faces” remind me a bit of “The Scream.” Perhaps the first is more Dali-esque, as it seems kind of like a human face that has partially turned to viscous liquid and is slowly oozing to the ground. Put a few elephants or unrecognizable animals with 30-ft-long stick legs in the background and you’ve got a masterpiece. :)

@ Chris — I was going to say…the second face doesn’t even look like he has a mouth…maybe it’s the silent scream!!! That’s the best description I’ve read yet about Face #1 You can be so funny. I really enjoy how your imagination works!

Congratulations on the release of your Work Consciously Audio Course:~) I’m impressed!!!

10. Eliza says:

I LOVE looking for faces in unexpected places. These knot photos are great.

Okay, quickie challenge .. because it’s late and my brain has shut down…

What’s your favorite subject for photography and why? Fungus. Yep, that’s right, fungus. On trees, growing in the grass … no, not between toes or in navels. I do draw the line there.

They represent total earthiness to me. Not to mention, when you get right down on the ground to photograph them, you can imagine what they would look like to a faerie.
    Eliza´s last blog post ..Words From The Editor- Dating- Youthfulness- Sexy Heroes- Volunteering

@ Eliza — That’s cool…fungi!!! I am relieved that it’s not of the fungus that grows between the toes (hey, that rhymes), but I imagine you’re right…fungus can be really pretty. I like mushrooms. I once found one that was upside down, meaning the mushroom head actually collected water.

I love this line of yours about photographing fungi, “Not to mention, when you get right down on the ground to photograph them, you can imagine what they would look like to a faerie.” That’s so cool:~)

Thanks for the visit:~)

Knot One is a goofy kind of guy. He doesn’t laugh, he guffaws.

Knot Two reminds me of an owl. Just looking and watching and saying very little (well, he doesn’t have a mouth after all)

Knot Three is depressed. He’s just knot in a happy place. He’s knot sure he’s cut out for this job of being a post. He wanted to be located at the corner near the road where all the action is…but he’s stuck mid-way down the fence line and he has a very nosey neighbor who thinks having birds land on them is an exciting thing.

Like you, Sara, I love wood – it has a story to tell. Your knot photos are really amazing!
    Talon´s last blog post ..The Destination Short Story

@ Talon — You are so descriptive…he guffaws. He does look like he might have a big belly laugh in him:~) #2…now this is interesting, lots of people have thought this picture looked like an owl. I thought he looked like a not very nice alien, but an owl is a happier description.

You could write a story about number 3 and I love “he’s just knot in a happy place” and “he’s knot sure he’s cut for this job.” LOL You make this face come alive for me…thanks:~)

12. suzen says:

Hi Sara! BRILLIANT photography! I’m a fan of gnarly trees, big ones, but I love the “faces” you found in boards! I’d pick #3 and his name is Harry Hangover. He is obviously “not well” and groaning and bemoaning his alarm clock going off. I’d be hard pressed to say ANYthing, but I’d give him a look that spoke volumes!
    What fun you are, girl!
    hugs
    suZen

@ suzen — That does fit…when I look at #3…he’s doesn’t really like a happy camper to me. I guessed you sussed out the real reason! Poor Harry Hangover…he’s stuck in the wood with a constant hangover:~(

I love these photo challenges because I usually get to laugh and marvel at what others will see in the photos. I see what I see, but the people who comment always show me something new. It makes it fun:~)

Thanks for sharing this challenge:~)

Hi Sara .. Picture one .. reminds me of a clown .. I could paint it up in garish colours ..
    Picture two – reminds me of an owl peering out of the old oak tree
    Picture Three – a bowler hatted man from the early 1900s .. a comedic genius in a silent movie ..
    Names .. probably could give them in a while .. but for now .. tales to tell those knots of wood have .. love the photos .. so interesting ..
    Thanks Sara .. great post – Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Will we watch 101 Dalmatians when we’re 90 or when we’re 84

@ Hilary — I thought that one looked like a clown. And again, #2 is seen as a owl…I’ve enjoyed how many people have seen an owl in this knot….like I said to Talon, to me he looks like a very mean alien!

I think your answer for # 3 is very clever. I can see the bowler hat and he does that sad/funny Charlie Chaplin look.

Hilary…the thing about these challenges is that you get participate as much as you want. I’m just pleased that you participated:~)

14. Panduh says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that sees faces in wood knots. xD

The first one looks like a Praying Mantis to me, the 2nd an owl, and the 3rd a guy that just got punched in the eye and is feeling very sad about it.

@ Panduh — Okay…I can kind of see the praying mantis and you have hit the nail on head about #2…an owl seems to be consensus and #3 LOL that’s a good fit. I can see this one as you described him. Well done!!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this challenge:~)

15. Caity says:

The second one!

What is the name of the face in the wooden board?
    His name is Eppy!

What emotion does this face show?
    He is surprised!

What would this face say to you if it could talk?
    He can’t talk. He’s too surprised!

What would you say to this face if you talked to it?
    I would tell him that he is very cute.

Did you see something other than a face and if so, what did you see?
    In the 3rd one, I see a kid making snow angels!

When I take photos, I tend to like to take photographs of inanimate objects.
    I first tied a knot at age 3.
    Caity´s last blog post ..He is so punny

@ Caity — I loved all your answers, but my favorite was this one:

What would this face say to you if it could talk?
      He can’t talk. He’s too surprised!

I like the idea of #3 looking like kids making snow angels. Wow, you learned to tie a knot at a young age…I’m impressed:~)

16. Kelvin Kao says:

I might have mentioned this before, but every time I saw faces on wood, I am reminded of that Grandmother Willow from Disney’s Pocahontas.

Here’s a clip: