Story Photo: News Headline

Picture A

The Headline

One of the things I’ve always admired about news reports is how they manage to write headlines. Good headline writers learn to be “short and sweet” with their words. I appreciate this skill, as I’m not always good at this!

Headlines are used to attract readers to a story. Good headlines usually stick with the present tense, use active verbs, and convey what the story is about in as few words as possible.

The Challenge

For today’s challenge, pick one of these pictures and write a headline for a pretend news story about the picture. You can use Picture A, which is the header picture, or the following Picture B:

Be sure you indicate in the comment box which picture you picked, unless your headline makes this very clear:~)

The Special Challenge

The first challenge asks you to write a regular headline, but what about writing a bad headline intentionally? We’ve all come across headlines that have made us giggle because of their unintended and often funny use of words. Here are some examples of such headlines, which I found at this site, Bad Newspaper Headlines.

• Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
  • Two Soviet Ships Collide, One Dies
  • Steals Clock, Faces Time
  • Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
  • Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Your special challenge today is to write a bad headline for one of these pictures. For the purpose of this post, a bad headline uses the words in such a way as to make the headline funny. Be sure to indicate which picture you used for your “bad” headline.

NOTE: As this a PG rated site, write your headlines accordingly:~)

Quickie Challenges

Of the list of bad headlines I gave you, or from the site I’ve linked to, which is your funniest BAD headline?

What’s your favorite source for news — TV, paper, online or all three?

How do you feel about being able to get news 24/7?

Story Photo Rules

I want to remind you that you can choose to do as many the challenges as you want, meaning you can do all, one, or none of the challenges. It’s up to you!

While I love it when people participate in the challenges, I also understand that sometimes you’re busy and don’t have time for the challenge this week. That’s fine, feel free to stop by and see what others have done or just say hello:~)

Have fun, be creative and enjoy:~)

30 comments on “Story Photo: News Headline

A: “Mayor Sweeney Endorses Big Weenie”

B: “Beach Developer Holds Up Plan; Sand Foundation Shifts Support”

As the daughter of a newspaperman, and because I love advice columns, I have a soft spot for print news. But I actually get most of my news from tv, NBC Nightly news in particular.
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..The Circuit Rider

@ Shay — I have missed your comments!!! I laughed at both of your headlines…they’re great and thanks for the laugh:~)

Picture A – “Giant Weiner is Man’s Best Friend”

Picture B – “Mayor Evans Calls For Immediate Support”
    Talon´s last blog post ..Closed

I am so laughing at FB and Talon’s headlines!!!! I can’t even attempt that now. :) Hee hee.

I think getting news 24/7 is a wonderful thing. I can’t remember life before that really.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Parish- Manhattan and list on a napkin

@ Lynn — I know what you mean. I’m having a great time reading the comments. People really stepped up this one. It’s definitely a LOL challenge:~)

4. JC says:

Pic A. Florida bans “wurst” love.
    Pic B. The government’s plan to lower unemployment by using human columns was dropped as human rights groups protested.

@ JC — I love the Picture A headline and Picture B is funny also. I think it’s great that you’re enjoying this challenge since the pictures feature you!!! You’re a great sport:~)

5. Okay, Sara, I’m guffawing at both photos. What immediately springs to mind for Picture A:

Man vs. Dog, Round One: Too Close to Call.

Now if your blog wasn’t PG, who knows where my mind might wander?!

@ Patty — I know about the PG thing…my mind went there too…that’s why I made the suggestion to honor the PG rating. Who knows what headlines might have appeared otherwise! BTW I like yours…it makes the point:~)

A:
    W. Schranz Hotdog machine runs amuck killing three
    B:
    Local volunteers are asking for support

Bad head lines
    A:
    Near miss when sewage truck explores
    B:
    Jack McLonger supports new City Walkway Bridge.

@ Ellis — Well done on ALL the headlines. I like that you always participate in every challenge. You’re such a sweetie…thanks for being YOU:~)

7. Chris Edgar says:

Now why on Earth would you think that Picture A might receive a non-G-rated interpretation, young lady? But anyway, from the signs in the background, and from the fact that it’s apparently a giant bratwurst, I’d say this photo was taken in Germany. Thus my headline is going to read “Ein Große Bratwurst.”

@ Chris — Unfair. I will have to look the translation. Fortunately, Google is very helpful in this way:~) Yes, I could see lots of non PG headlines for Picture A. I thought I had better cut things at the pass, so to speak!

Hi Sara .. wonderful comments already ..
    A) Would you like me with tomato sauce or mayo?
    B) Going to play with a deck of cards?

I love reading mistakes .. and I’m sure I make them ..

Hope the eyes are getting better .. cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..February Creative that unusual month

@ Hilary – the bad headlines I found were really funny and according to the site, they came from real newspapers!

Your choices are very well done. Thanks for taking on the challenges:~)

Cheers to you!

9. Kelvin Kao says:

B. Construction halts; local man rises up to fill the gap
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Theatre Puppetry Workshop Beginning- Week 3

@ Kelvin — Good “bad” headline. I really like the part about the “man rises up to fill the gap.”

This challenge has fun to see what people come up this and I thank you for participating:~)

You’ve received some very funny responses to the headline challenge. I chose the quickie challenge this week.

Some of favorite bad headlines were:
    Dealers will hear car talk at noon. Where can I get one of those?

Milk drinkers are turning to powder. Glad I don’t drink milk!

I get my news from the newspaper. As far news 24/7, I don’t really care. It’s good that you can get news when you need it, but many times I’m just as happy not having all the details.

@ Linda — I like your favorites, too. And I agree with about the news. I used to watch CNN 24/7 and well, let’s put this way, it wasn’t very healthy for me:~)I actually don’t watch any TV news and seldom read the paper. I found out when I quit this, I was a lot happier. Not that I would recommend for everyone…but it does work for me. Then again if we had some major crisis, I actually would be the “last to know”!

11. JC says:

Pic A. City notices increase in beer consumption. Colonel Mustard blames influx of spoiled little “brats” seen in town.

12. Mandy Allen says:

I am laughing my socks off at the comments above. The use of your term ‘weenie’ is killing me. In the UK it infers something not suitable for your PG rated site!

Enjoy the journey.

Mandy
    Mandy Allen´s last blog post ..Good Luck or just a coincidence

@ Mandy — As I have a daughter living in the UK, it’s always fun to see the differences in the use of words.

Thanks for letting us know about “weenie.” BTW I actually had a dog named “weenie” when I was little kid…a betcha guess what kind of dog she was:~)

13. Sara, this is hilarious! Everybody is so funny. Is this a piece of bread or a wiener? I’m confused :-)

My headline is for Photo A:

Pinocchio’s nose to be auctioned on Ebay. “It blows,” says Geppetto in protest.
    Davina Haisell´s last blog post ..Bacon and eggs- and the serial comma

@ Davina — It’s actually a bratwurst. I took the picture in Switzerland with JC standing next to this huge bratwurst:~)

Great headline. Thanks for taking on this challenge:~)

14. Meredith says:

I get most of my news from online publications (NYT, Huffington Post, The Economist, etc.), most of the rest from radio (NPR), and a bit from online streaming programs such as PBS Newshour (which I manage to watch about once a week lately). For a while I was a serious news junkie — but then I overdosed and took about a six-month hiatus. Now I realize that in this brave new world we live in, you can only be a relatively well-informed generalist, and maybe specialize in a few issues that really mean something to you (for me, that’s media consolidation and publishing and our agriculture policy).

My favorite of the above headlines is the Juvenile Court one. I’ll have to pass that along to my mom, who will get a kick out of it. She just retired after 30 years working in court. ;)

@ Meredith — I also like NPR for news, but I don’t listen that often. Like you mentioned, I’ve taken a hiatus from news after being a 24/7 junkie (I mainly watched CNN). I realized that I would learn most of the big stories…even the Weather Channel reports those, but I got tired of the constant anxiety that our news produces. NPR and BBC are probably the best news stations for me simply because they don’t hype the news.

I know those “bad” headlines were funny, weren’t they. I got a good laugh with most of them.

Thanks for stopping by. I’m so pleased you’re actively blogging again:~)

15. Man Holds Up Dock For 26 Hours

In a freak flash hurricane yesterday Mr Jim Grimson of Sarasota Florida was the sole protector of house and home when he double-armedly held his dock firmly in his hands.

With shoes made of cement, he was well planted to brave the wind. And sipping protein shakes from a tube that wound in and around his torso, he was able to stay well nourished during such a trying time.

He is expected to win the 2011 Congressional Medal of Dock Holding.

xoxoxo
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..February 8th Is Very Special Because…

@ Jannie — This is great…I even got the news story with the headline. I loved it. As the man holding up the dock is my boyfriend, JC, he will love reading your “take” on this headline and story:~)

Thanks for stopping by and taking on the challenge:~)