Old Poems

This is a revision of an old poem I wrote when I dreamed of finding the perfect Knight in Shining Armor. The original poem was just too depressing and, as most of you know, I much prefer happy endings.

The Demise Return of the Knight in Shining Armor

I don’t understand why you don’t just leave.
I’ve kicked you out and said my goodbyes.
Don’t you get it? I’m past the need to grieve.
Go away and take your sad puppy dog eyes.

I’ve packed your bags made of imitation leather.
They are waiting for you out by the street.
It’s such a shame about the lousy rainy weather.
I guess that’s what you get for your deceit.

You’ve stalked my dreams for way too long.
You trailed empty promises like sweets.
I’m sick of you. It’s time for your swan song.
Go find someone new, just troll the streets.

I once thought of you as my noble knight.
I saw your reflection in countless eyes.
Sadly, none of them were perfectly right.
All of them ended in lonely goodbyes.

So, now I want you gone. Yes, today!
You’ve not lived up to your promised part.
Who needs your fantasies anyway?
Go haunt some other lonely girl’s heart.

What’s that you say? Are you sure?
Don’t go. You can stay awhile.
Oh, he definitely has your allure.
Ooh, look. He even has your smile.

This revised poem is dedicated to Jim. I’d almost given up, but then you gave me the best hug, made me laugh at something I shouldn’t have and told me you loved my writing. I knew it then. I’d found my knight with his sweet and mischievous smile:~)

Hold On…Don’t Click Off Yet!!

What about you? What characteristics did you want in your maiden warrior or knight?

When you were young, did you see someone as a knight in shining armor or maiden warrior? This can be anybody…a boy/girl friend, an actor or actresses, a teacher…okay, I have to stop before it gets too weird:~)

When you were a kid, did you read fairy tales? If so, what was your favorite?

Source of Header Drawing: The Big Box of Art, 1924 drawing of a knight on horseback

36 comments on “Old Poems

Blogger says they are restoring the posts and comments that had been taken away, but mine is still down. I didn’t quite realize how addicted I was to Blogger until it was gone (albeit temporarily.)

I used to always have my nose in a book when I was a kid, to the point that my mom used to say I lived in a fantasy world. She was right to some extent. I just kind of wanted to be Nancy Drew. 🙂
    Lynn´s last blog post ..The Mitchell house- better view and the book

@ Lynn — I know how you feel. I haven’t experienced anything like what happened to Blogger, but I once put my own site down by doing something stupid. It took awhile get it back up.

I loved Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I read both series and I read all the time. I still do. I always a book going.

Thanks for stopping by:~)

2. Alien Ghost says:

When I was a child I was more into reading Asimov, so there was no princess to find, but rather mysterious planets to explore and robots with strange behavior to understand, and the closest thing to that in the real world were cars and mechanical devices to play with, and it was all a lot of fun!

If there was someone that made me sigh for it was the sole view of it in a picture, after I discover of its existence when I was fourteen years old; the Lamborghini Countach! I’m still waiting for its arrive to my door, so we can go together to scare people out of the road. 🙂

Raul

P.D. I don’t know how to put a link here, but if you Google “pictures of Lamborghini Countach”, you will see my love, and the object of my long time dreams…a spaceship on wheels!
    Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..Renewing the Car

@ Raul — I had to look up the Lamborghini Countach. I added the link and so, if anyone wants to see it they can.

It’s pretty impressive as a car. My dad was a real car fanatic. He built them, especially old race cars. The one I remember the best was called a Bugatti. It looked like of like the one in the link, but was red. He had search for parts all over the world by letter. He didn’t have a computer to do the searching for him.

I never read much Science Fiction. I always kind of regretted it, but mysteries were my thing:~)

3. Belinda says:

Ouch! Some stinging words, there, Sara. I can’t imagine a lasting relationship not going through a rough patch such as this.

@ Belinda — When it came to the Knight in Shining Armor, there were some very rough times. I was sure I would find him with no difficulty, but that wasn’t the case…hence the stinging words of disappointment:~)

Thanks for stopping by and reading this poem.

4. Liz says:

That poem is nicely written. 🙂

Hm. I’ve learned it’s best to not want something in a certain significant other because that want becomes need, and that need becomes something that you look for. And I don’t want to strictly look for that, so I don’t think of what I want in a knight because everyone and everything is different, and if I get picky about what I want my knight to be, I may miss out on someone great.

Well… I pretended like Julianne Moore was my mom… My mom [thankfully] never knew… That I know of. …Does that count? 😛

When you were a kid, did you read fairy tales? If so, what was your favorite?

I love Beauty and the Beast. It’s still one of my favorite movies. <3

Haha, thanks for the comment. (:

@ Liz — So wise for someone so young. I’m impressed! When I was your age, I really thought my soul mate was waiting for me and because I expected a knight, I did miss some opportunities with a few really great guys.

I agree with about Beauty and the Beast:!)

• Liz says:

Thanks. Haha, I’ve been told I’m really logical and that I think more into things and analyze situations more. :]

BTW… My name’s Sarah, too, but with the “h”! 🙂 I don’t know if I told you that/you know or not. 🙂

@ Liz — Wow. What made you decide to go with Liz? BTW I spell my name without an “h,” but the person who helped me put my site together accidentally added the “h” and it was too complicated to take it off:~)

5. Ginny says:

Great poem Sara. I didn’t really have a knight in shining armor. I love to read but most of the characters I loved best when I was young were women who knew how to take care of themselves. My mother was very much like this. In a time when women were not always independent, she was or at least liked to think she was. Although the thought of someone coming to save the day does sound good!
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Happiness is

@ Ginny — What kind of stories did you read? I think I like your mom’s approach. I grew up at a time when women were still seen as more dependent than independent…then again, I grew up in the South and that might explain some of it.

I guess there are times when we do look for someone to save the day. As we older, however, we learn that it’s better for us to be our own heroes and heroines.

Thanks for stopping by and reading this:~)

6. Patricia says:

I loved the line about the imitation leather…such vehemence?

2 Years ago I threw away about 20 of my old writing journals, because they help me think and process and had many poems, but I did not want my children to have to deal with them and not to publish them or laugh at them – it was my process and journey but I was all done with those things.

I wanted my knight to really take care of me so I could go out and be the warrior. I wanted a sense of humor to match my intensity….I am the warrior and I am the knight…and we certainly lack a sense of humor…so I do not know if that answered your question or not…I am still very intense – but very capable of unloading the imitations.
    Patricia´s last blog post ..Four Great Books to Add to Your Reading List

@ Patricia — Great answers. I like that you wanted your knight to help you be the warrior. And now you see both of those characteristics in you. What makes you say you lack a sense of humor? I wouldn’t have thought that about you.

Oh, have you regretted throwing your journals or were you glad to let go of them? I’m curious because I still have some of mine that I haven’t been able to toss. I weeded them, but I can’t toss them yet:~)

I appreciate your visit, Patricia.

• Patricia says:

Sara,
        I have found I almost never regret throwing something away. My old journals had served their purpose and they needed to go – they were me talking to me.

Most of the poetry and stories I wrote I have all on line…but some of the old words from the journal pop into my head.

My father has been dead for 32 years, but today I am mourning him again – how he must have felt being unemployed for so long…it is so hard on people…He was slated to be the next Secretary of Education for the US when President Kennedy was shot…he spent nearly 8 years unemployed or underemployed ( PhD brilliant man) and it truly undermined his spirit – he died at age 63 full of cancer. I can recall all the important words I wrote in my journal about his unemployment…so the important stuff is still here.
        Patricia´s last blog post ..Four Great Books to Add to Your Reading List

@ Patricia — Thanks for coming and replying. You’ve helped me because I do still struggle with what to keep and what to let go:~)

I am sorry about what happened to your dad. That must have been really difficult for him. One second you’re about to step into a new life phase and then it’s gone. I imagine it was also a very difficult time for you, as his child. I hope your writing helped. It sounds like it did.

I read or were told all the classic fairy tales, but I liked books like “Mother West Wind” series best of all. My love of animals started early.

As far as a knight in shining armor, I don’t think I had any fantasies about “Mr. Right”. But I will say there were several Mr. Wrong’s.

I like your revised poem; I’d love to see the original version.
    Linda´s last blog post ..The Stately Rhododendron

@ Linda — I’ve never heard of the “Mother West Wind” series. I probably would have liked those. I did read all the Black Stallion stories — I was really into horses for a time.

Yeah, me too…a few Mr. Wrongs here and there…definitely NOT knights in shining armor!!!

No, the original wandered and wandered and wandered. That my time of attempting to write like Rod McKuen and I wasn’t very successful. It was also a rather dark time…the poems all ended with me “standing alone in the rain” so to speak:~)

Thanks for the visit:~)

8. Jean Sampson says:

Wow, Sara! That is a neat poem. And I am glad your real life sent you someone wonderful.
    As a kid, I read a lot of comic books (hence my love of words AND images=poems? And i loved the girly books like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi, books with lovely settings and young women interacting with both nature and humanity. I think my favorite fairie tales were Hans Christian Anderson -type stories, stories with a little weirdness in them and also a lesson which I suppose went in on some level.
    I loved I Love Lucy (tells you my age, doesn’t it), so Ricky was my hero and then, later, I fell in love with Peter Lawford and pretended that I was Phyllis Kirk (does anyone else remember Dear Phoebe and The Thin Man???). So, my “knights” were mostly 50’s TV guys. It worked for me!
    I also destroyed all my writings and poems from my late teens/ early 20’s—–necessary therapy, but just AWFUL stuff that even I couldn’t stand to read anymore because I had grown so much—–thank goodness.
    My husband of nearly 40 years is not the KNIGHT but he is my soul mate in that he has made me work on the areas in my life where I needed to work. It has not been what I would call a storybook romance—–more like Earth School—-but I am very grateful for the lessons we have taught one another and that we love each other fiercely. A Knight would have definitely played to my weaknesses and kept me dependent and immature. None of those for me, thanks, even though the thought of being completely taken care of is very tempting. I am a much stronger, deeper, fuller person because he never showed up!
    Sorry for the length of the comment! :)) Great post and poem, Sara.

@ Jean — I loved these words, “A Knight would have definitely played to my weaknesses and kept me dependent and immature. None of those for me, thanks, even though the thought of being completely taken care of is very tempting. I am a much stronger, deeper, fuller person because he never showed up!” Perfect.

I can identify with many of the people you talk about. I was crazy about Michael Landon who played “Little Joe” in Bonanza. I also like the fairy tales and fables of Hans Christian Anderson. I really like fables.

You know it’s funny. I can’t remember reading comic books. I must have, but I don’t remember. I read all sort of books, but my preference was mysteries. It still is.

No problem about the comment length. I like when people share:~) Thanks for doing so.

9. JC says:

Sara, I’m glad you didn’t give up kissing frogs until you found your prince! Even though I can be a frog every once in a while.

10. Robin Easton says:

Dear Sara,

We have touched touched base here and there, and I see your comments and…..JUST LOVE THEM!!! You are amazing, and I had to just stop in and tell you that. LOL! 🙂 I just read your comment on Chris Edgar’s post and I thought, “Holy moly, this woman has talent. Your comment was just STELLAR!! It really described Chris in a way that I too experience him as being, yet never had the words to describe it sooooo deliciously witty and clear, which you TOTALLY did. 🙂

And this poem here is one the BEST I’ve ever read. I LOVE it. You are incredible. I gasped with delight over this line: “You trailed empty promises like sweets.” Whoa!! You are something else girl. The whole poem moves as smoothly as a well oiled door hinge. Sooo fabulous.

As to your question, I’d love to answer it but it would take a book. LOL!! 🙂 I wish I could say as much as you do with as few words as you use. What a GIFT you have!!

I am so glad I ran into this morning. !!!
    Hugs,
    Robin
    Robin Easton´s last blog post ..Lucid Living

@ Robin — Thank you. I’m pleased you stopped by and read it:~) Chris is one of my favorites….he’s so wise sometimes that it amazes me.

I love reading your comments; you put so much enthusiasm in them. It makes me get a big smile I read your comment:~)

Thanks very much for stopping and sharing your thoughts!

I’m so glad you found your Knight, Sara.

Reading was so important (still is) in my life. I read everything – we had a house full of books. I think my favorites as a child were (if I had to pick) were Lucy Maud Montgomery and Enid Blyton.
    Talon´s last blog post ..Filigreed

@ Talon — Me too about the Knight. He’s a great guy.

My eldest daughter was really into L.M. Montgomery. She still has her old paperbacks in her room, even though she now lives far away. I sort of read what available. I read books like Charlie Chan mysteries to Frank G. Slaughter, who wrote a series about stories about physicians (these books were my dads). I finally settled on mysteries, which is still my preferred genre.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts:~)

12. Delightful poem, Sara! Just thought I’d stop in to say a quick hello. I did love pretty much all the fairy tales as a kid, but the weird thing is I rediscovered them as an adult and loved them even more. Then I finally understood their deeper meaning. There’s a quote I once found from C.S. Lewis: “And one day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” Or something like that. Turned out to be very true for me.
    Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog post ..Patty’s Excellent Adventure and Blogging Hiatus

@ Patty — What a delight!!! I’m so pleased you stopped by. I love that quote about being old enough to read fairy tales again and that you actually do this!!! You’re right about the deeper meaning in them.

I am so pleased you visited. Thank you:~)

13. Kelvin Kao says:

As someone that still watches Sesame Street as an adult (and without kids either), fairy tales are definitely fair game. But actually, I think fairy tales just take on the form of romantic comedy nowadays. There’s the damsel in distress, the villain/asshole, the man in shining armor (or suit) with a sweet ride, but most importantly, the somewhat unrealistic plot line with lots of wishful thinking and the hint of happily ever faster at the end. So, in my opinion, many are watching fairy tales without realizing it.

Perhaps this is why I enjoy romantic comedies more than most guys.
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..I Wish I Could Go Back to College

@ Kelvin — I love how you come up with things. I loved the comparison of romantic comedies and fairy tales. You are right there are a lot of similarities.

I like it that you enjoy romantic comedies.

Thanks for stopping by. I got a notice that you have a new post up. I’ll be by to visit soon!

I want one that swing a sward
    Sharpened on both sides
    That would cut the ones in half
    That I wanted to die

Knight or maiden
    I cared not which
    As long as they would
    Kill the evil witch
    *******
    No one to me
    Was a shining Knight
    No one tried me to save
    Or bring out in the light

For in my time the kid was wrong
    And his mother and father was right
    So in the darkness of my mine
    I hide from them in fright
    *******
    Read not I
    No not, book one
    No fairy tales for me
    For I was too dumb

What’s wrong with that boy
    My stepfather has said
    I’d never buy that kid a book
    I’d rather be caught dead
    *******
    I’ll not go see them
    For in the ground they lay
    And the ghost with in my mind
    Will dance upon their grave

@ Ellis — And you were worried that the words had disappeared. I think NOT, kind sir. You have said a lot in this comment. I imagine fairy tales might be difficult if your life is anything but a fairy tale. I regret that your parents didn’t take the time to know the Ellis I know — a very creative and gifted man. He might not wield a sword, but he learned how to wield words into poems. Perhaps, you were your own knight, Ellis…you rescued your creative soul and wouldn’t let them take it from you. You fought the dragons and won with your life.

As always, thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts:~)

15. Joy says:

Love your poem..:)
    I very much enjoyed fairy tales when I was younger, and still do now..those in my inner circle will tell you I’m much like the main character in the Disney movie “Enchanted”..I do believe my life is as magical as I allow it to be, and the more visitors I host on the boat, the more affirmation that this is my Truth.
    I’ve always thought I was the Divine Warrior Princess of Light..used to be in the form of Wonder Woman, then morphed to Tinker Bell, now a combination of both *grin*..
    So, my knight then would complement me, and currently he is in the form of a master sailor, amazingly talented guitar man who makes all of the ladies swoon..but shares his heart with me: he can harness the wind, dance in the moonbeams, bask in the sunshine, and “protect me” while I continue to share openly and joyfully with All as I do..and this captivating knight is in the photo on my latest post:)

@ Joy — I loved what you said about the combination of Wonder Woman and Tinker Bell. It does fit the Divine Warrior Princess of Light, which is very appropriate for you:~)

You’ve manage to find hope and happiness and even share them, even though it was struggle to get here. You DID IT anyway!

Your description of your “Knight” is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing this:~)

16. Liz says:

Thanks. It was a spur of the moment thing – I have my poetry moments, and I thankfully took advantage of it this time. 🙂