Story Photo: The Headless Parrot

The green parrot

Don’t worry. I’m not going gruesome on you. This green parrot is very much alive. I discovered him in Sandestin, Florida. The man who owns him takes pictures of people with his parrots.

It’s amazing what people will do on vacation:~) I saw both men and women, happily smiling, with parrots draped all over their heads, arms and shoulders.

Sometimes, it became a comedy act, especially when the parrots got stuck in someone hair and, of course, there was the OTHER danger of spooked birds.

The adults were more likely to get their picture taken, than the kids. This might be due to a smart photographer. He always set up his business near the pool bar:~) and usually business was very good!

I asked if I could take some pictures of the birds and the man readily agreed. When I got to this one, however, there was no head!!!

Your challenge

This leads me to your challenges today. Let me set the scene for you…

I am trying to convince this little guy to let me take his picture, head and all. He, on the other hand, doesn’t want me to take his picture.

See, we have the makings of a good story; there’s both conflict and tension in this challenge!

Option 1: For those in a rush…

Answer one or more of these questions in the comment box. Be sure to indicate which number or numbers you selected.

1) Why doesn’t he want his picture taken?
2) What would YOU do to get him to show himself?
3) Do you have any fond memories of parrots you’d like to share?

Option 2:  Let your creativity dance…

Write a brief dialogue between me and the bird. What do I say to convince him to let me take his picture? What does he say to me about why he doesn’t want his picture taken? Who wins? Keep this to 55 words or less.

NOTE:  You have a full week to play with this option. You can stop by, say hello, and come back when you’ve written the dialogue. Come on. I double-dare you:~) Prove to me the summer hasn’t dried up all those creative juices!

As always, have fun, be creative and enjoy!!!

22 comments on “Story Photo: The Headless Parrot

1. Kelvin Kao says:

That looks disturbing. I am thinking in the context of puppets: someone sew the head on already!
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Les Miserables – Opening Night

@ Kelvin — I should have know this picture would be disturbing to you. Believe me when I say the parrot did show his head. They’re pretty amazing how they bend their necks and turn their heads.

Congrads again about the video. Anyone who sees this comment, you have to check out Kelvin’s video that he created to win tickets to Les Mis.

• Jean Sampson says:

I just watched the video and I LOVED it! Thanks for linking it, Sara. and thanks for making it, Kelvin. Just wonderful! 😀

@ Jean — I know Kelvin will be happy you watched his video. He’s very talented. You should watch some of his puppet shows. There on the left side of his site. He has one that had me in stitches, called Bottle Monster Unboxes an iPad. I’ve included the link. Visit it when you can:~)

Why doesn’t he want his picture taken? He thinks the camera will capture his soul. (Hey – that could happen! Just sayin’.)

There was a couple in Atlanta who had a parrot they loved very much – he was on the husband’s shoulder one morning as he walked out to get the newspaper. A truck backfired nearby and spooked the bird. He flew into a tree and they couldn’t coax him out. They had sightings after that now and then, but I don’t think they ever found him. They went so far as to sprinkle Doritos in their yard and on the roof in hope of luring him home. That’s my parrot story.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Warhol print, how he did it and upcoming tour

@ Lynn — That’s a good response, especially where parrots come from!

I’m sorry the people didn’t get their parrot back, but imagine the joy of the people who got see the parrot flying free. Let’s hope he had a wonderful life. Then again, I hope this wasn’t where you live….I’m not sure parrots do well in the cold. So, we’ll revise the story and say he was rescued by a child unable to have a dog or cat because of severe allergies and lived a happy life, bring joy to this family of this child…a happy ending. BTW I like happy endings!

I hope you have great Fourth!!!

Hi Sara .. I’m a-thinking! Good to see you around .. cheers for now .. Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Have you got talent?

@ Hilary — I always like it when you’re “a-thinking.” That usually means something creative is being made.

Cheers back at you:~)

4. Jean Sampson says:

Well, of course we know what happened to the parrot’s head, given the loquacity of parrots—–he talked his head off!!! Ha Ha Ha!

Welcome back, Sara, and please forgive the corny comment! :).

@ Jean — Oh, I missed you!!! I loved this one. It made me laugh and I needed that. Send on the corny comments…With the exception of the cobb, I’ll devour all of them with glee:~)

• Jean Sampson says:

Hey, Sara, I missed you, too! And I can’t wait to see some of the results from your on-line writing class—there will be some sharing, won’t there?

And, in the “old days” (wink, wink) folks had good uses for those corn cobs, too! 😀

@ Jean — We’ll see about the sharing. This class has been quite a challenge for me. I like the teacher very much. Her assignments really make me think about what I’m trying to do with my writing. I never realized it would consume so much of my time!!!

5. Liz says:

1) Why doesn’t he want his picture taken?
    Perhaps he’s shy! ^^

2) What would YOU do to get him to show himself?
    I would probably talk about how pretty of a bird he is. 😉

3) Do you have any fond memories of parrots you’d like to share?
    I once saw a huge one at a GAP Pet Fair in high school a fellow student had… It was beautiful and majestic… 🙂
    Liz´s last blog post ..If You Seek Todd

@ Liz — They are beautiful birds. I must admit I wasn’t so fond of their job when I took their pictures. There’s something not quite dignified about these majestic birds sitting in people’s hair, but they happy and well fed.

Thanks for stopping by. I missed you lately:~)

Hi Sara .. this time – ‘fraid not .. too much tennis! But he really probably could do with getting dressed first .. he needs his smart tux, jacket and cigar .. let alone breeches and the cigar ..

Happy 4th July .. cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Artists who loved the countryside … where history entwines them with fingerprints, self-publication and Higgs Boson

@ Hilary — That okay. I’m pleased you’re enjoying the tennis:~)

I had a very nice, quiet….well, except for the firecrackers…July 4th. Thank you for asking.

7. manish2010 says:

Hey Sara!
    Option2:
    You have said to the parrot that i am Sara and i am a professional photographer,see i have a good quality camera also and even i am an owner of one very popular photography blog also,and if you want some publicity then I’m the best option available for you in free of cost.So cute parrot lemme take your one awesome snap.
    Now listen what the parrot says………….
    PARROT:Hey Sara listen one thing very carefully,I’m very simple parrot and i know you people from the city are very clever,i know you will put my picture on your blog and place some contest type of thing to build up a good traffic or you use my pictures for an auction and earn lots of money but i know you will not pay even a single penny to me for that.So first go to the court and bring some legal papers for joint venture then only i will make up my mind for giving you my picture.Otherwise leave me alone or I’ll hide my identity by hiding up my face.
    So at last Sara won’t give any legal paper to the parrot and he hides his face,Sara clicked that pose and”NOW WE ALL NOT EXACTLY KNOW THAT WHO IS THIS PARROT ACTUALLY” …..We can call him as a HEADLESS PARROT only….so sad…:-(
    manish2010´s last blog post ..Outdoor Kitchen Equipment

@ manish2010 — Well done. Basically, you’re right. He never did show me his head. Actually, I did try to get to sign a paper that would give legal protection, but every time he tried, his claws tore the paper. It was sad because a famous online photography site was begging me to recruit as a model, but they demanded a signature:~( Still, he and I had a good talk and I referred him to some other parrot modeling agencies that are little less demanding.

Thanks for taking on the challenge.

#2

Go away.

Why?

I’m having a “bad hair” day.

Aw, there’s this Pretty Parrot contest, and I think you’re the winning picture with your gorgeous green feathers.

You don’t understand! Some rogue parrots attacked me and dyed my head brown. Ever seen a parrot with a brown head? I might as well be a sparrow.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Breakfast at the Wienery

@ Linda — Well done…you made me laugh. That’s a perfect response from this green parrot. I imagine he wouldn’t his “brown” head. Thanks for doing this challenge!

9. Ginny says:

The parrot just said something not very nice to a customer at the bar. His owner, the photographer, is really upset with him. Although noone else thinks what he said to the very drunk lady dancing on top of the table is funny, he thinks it is hysterical and is hiding his face so noone can see how hard he is laughing.
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Sunday’s Reflection

@ Ginny — LOL Both you and Linda made me laugh with your responses to this challenge. Given the scene at that pool bar, your response is very possible. It did rather LOUD at the bar, especially by afternoon:~)

Thanks for sharing in this challenge!