Story Photo: Nature Art

copyright Liz Lawson

Today, I have a special guest. Liz, from 6birds.net, is doing the Story Photo post. The picture above is one of hers. In addition to blogging, she’s a very good photographer. In her bio, there’s a link to her photos, if you want to take a look (and I recommend you do!)

I’ve been following Liz for some time. She writes about a variety of things. A few of my favorite posts are:  My Views on Bullies and Bullying, Strength, and The Art of Communication. One of the things I enjoy about Liz is that she’s always redecorating her site. It’s fun to visit because there’s always something new:~) Without further chatter from me, here’s Liz’s Story Photo post.

Big Lot

Commonly referred to as “the big lot”, this old thing is standing in the big pasture. It has gone from a steel awning with three walls to a mere structure that has been destroyed with high winds and human interference.

The old structure has been on my grandmother’s farm since she moved in over ten years ago, and it will be there undisturbed until it is made into stables for horses, but that discussion has been going on for a while.

I don’t think I want anything else to disturb it, though. I like things that are destroyed naturally sometimes – unless it affects someone or something else in a harmful way. I think this is because I feel like I’m a part of history, even if it’s only in the family. It’s just beautiful to me.

In the event that anything else does happen to it, I will always have more than a mental picture of what this structure once looked like. I love nature-made art.

The Photo Challenge

Here are a few questions I’d love to know your answer(s) to! You don’t have to answer all of them if you don’t want to!

1. Do you live near anything you think of as a piece of history or nature-made art?
  2. If you could ask nature to turn anything into art, what would it be and why?
  3. If you could be nature for a day, what would you change in the world, and why would you change it?

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this picture. Leave your answers in the comment box. Both Sara and I will reply!

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

About Me

I’m a twenty year old Christian Texan. I live on my grandmother’s 55-acre farm and am a big sister to four siblings.

I don’t always fit in with others my age and tend to get along more with adults and guys. I also have a soft spot for animals and am willing to get dirty to help them out.

I started my current blog 2010.  Because of blogging, I recently changed my major from education to web design. If you visit my site, you’ll see I change the “look” frequently because I like to try new things.

Another hobby of mine is photography. I take pictures of things around the farm – mostly of trees, as they inspire me. You can check out some of my pictures by going here. I enjoy playing with and creating patterns called tessellations because I get a different outcome every time! I love it when I find a tessellation in nature on a tree, in the grass or even on an animal. I often use them on my website, too.

36 comments on “Story Photo: Nature Art

Hi Sara and Liz .. – an interesting guest .. I’d love to do more photography .. one day! Tessellations are quite beautiful .. and the things that can be created are just wonderful to behold .. I love the Escher one on Wiki.

Re your questions .. there’s a pair of abandoned cottages next to the Nursing Centre .. and the land below has been leased for green natural waste .. I’d love the cottages to be repaired, turned into a rehabilitation centre/meeting place and have the whole turned into a mini nature reserve .. not sure it’s logical – but I’m sure it’s possible and it would be so good to have the area utilised …

I guess nature creates its own works of art …

If I could chose one repair job .. it’d be turning back the clock 250 years .. so we don’t destroy things we don’t know anything about – eg the Dodo .. yes the explorers and spice traders needed to eat .. but?! and one species of tree doesn’t reproduce because it needed the Dodo to help it – amazing connections …

and I’d start with the aspects highlighted in my recent post – Dear World … looking at you from the Space Shuttle Atlantis ..

Cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Oh I do love to be beside the seaside ….

• Liz says:

@Hilary – Interesting reply, thank you! 🙂 I’ll have to check that one out on Wiki!
      Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

@ Hilary — That sounds like a nice idea about the cottages:~) I agree with you about how many species we’ve lost because of our own carelessness AND you are also correct about how interconnected species can be.

Thanks for stopping and visiting Liz’s post. She did a good job!

Hello Liz and Sara. Wonderful photos. It’s interesting that you ask the question “Do you live near anything you think of as a piece of history or nature-made art?” – there is a place I always think I’ll stop and photograph and just haven’t. It’s on the way to my hometown, along a state highway. There’s a working farm, with a beautiful little farmhouse in front. And in the pasture next to the house are a bunch of broken up concrete slabs – they look sort of stonehengish the way they are arranged.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Seizing the day, peanut butter pie and books

• Liz says:

That sounds really neat; we kind of have something like that here but at the creek all the way into the woods or the “forest”, as my city friends like to call it. 😛
      Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

@ Lynn — Do stop by and take that pictures sometime. I’d love to see it.

I have a place kind of like that. It’s on our way to the beach. Someone took some old 1950ish trucks and put then in lot so that they look out on the road. Time and age as rusted them, so they have a orangy-brown look and they rusted at the same pace. It’s such a cool site. We’re always in a such a rush to get down to the beach and then, in a hurry to get back that I miss it every time.

Thanks for your visit!

Nice to meet you, Liz. There are the remnants of a old factory here. Not much is left except some crumbling walls and a few eye-less windows. Vines creep around it as if to protect the remains against the harshest of weather or the further destruction from humans and the parts that remain look like they might last forever.

Your photos are beautiful. I can’t think of anything I would want nature to turn into art because so much of what I photograph is from nature and I already think she’s the best artists there is 🙂

Thank you, Sara, for introducing us to Liz.
    Talon´s last blog post ..The Swing Set (short story)

@ Talon — So true about your photographs. Liz has some lovely ones in her collection. I like this one, but I also love the green garden swing with the vines growing on it. That’s a cool picture.

Thanks for stopping by. I know Liz appreciates it:~)

• Liz says:

@Talon – Vines are amazing… There’s a Wisteria Vine over an old, rusted, green swing with a birdhouse on top, and this is the first year it has ever bloomed! It’s amazing; nature’s amazing. I love it, but only when it doesn’t aggravate me (Milkweeds, etc.). Haha. 😛

I agree; nature is one of the best artists out there. 🙂
      Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

4. Well, Hi Liz!

My husband has actually made HO scale scratch-built models of old falling down structures in our native Canada. Now that I have a good camera it’s about time for me to do up some good photo posts of them. He is an artist modeling nature’s art, for sure.

Here in our urban area things are pretty-much all new of course, but road trips to the Texas countryside — as you well know — are feasts of weathering items. Old barns and sheds mostly. Wooden fences gray and rife with character. Advertising signs faded.

If I could be nature for a day I’d rid every ocean, lake, river, stream and pond of plastic. And keep plastic gone!

Thanks for hosting, Dear Sara. You’ve introduced us to a wonderful new blogging buddie!

xoxo
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..Moody Gardens’ Rainforest Pyramid — We Like It!

@ Jannie — Excellent point about plastic and the water!!! That’s also interesting about your husband and the models. Have you taken pictures of these? I love to see them.

Thanks for the visit!

• Liz says:

@ Jannie — It would be such a wonderful opportunity to go to Canada. Traveling the world in general would be a magnificent journey and adventure – definitely something to write about! Sorry, I get off topic a lot.

I love the looks of old barns and sheds. I may do a story post on my own blog one day about the old blue shed in the backyard. 😛

Ah! Yes! Plastic and water most definitely do not mix!!
      Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

5. suzen says:

Hi Sara and Liz! Great post – fun challenge and VERY interesting photo. What comes to mind as natural art (I’m up at the lake) are all the fallen trees. When I kayak there are huge trees that have fallen into the lake(s) and they seem to take on a whole new life in the water.

As for being nature, man I would wipe out everything that WASn’t natural – bye bye to chemicals, pesticides, processed foods, and while we are at it, let’s bring back bartering and forget money – awful things are being done in the name of greed.

I am surrounded by nature here and I sure don’t want to go home come September!
    Hugs to ya both!
    suZen
    suzen´s last blog post ..FAT AND YOUR BRAIN

• Liz says:

Thanks! 🙂

I have these hilarious memories of kayaking at a retreat that just makes me laugh. On the plus side, nature has a huge sense of humor! 😛

I agree with you on the money – it seems as though everything is about money here! Almost everyone I know personally is money hungry, and it’s aggravating. No processed produce would be nice, to. >.> If there wasn’t processed produce, people wouldn’t label me as high maintenance for preferring to eat healthy!
      Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

@ Suzen –I agree with you about fallen trees. There are times when they create the most beautiful art and what’s nice, is they don’t go to waste.

I agree about greed. However, I think it existed from the time of mankind. In my mind, it was those “tests” of humankind. Can we find a way to better cope with emotions, like greed, or pay the consequences. What was that show…Truth or Consequences?

It’s good you’re having a great time at the lake — Enjoy it:~)

If I answer each question
    Of the things I find
    I’ll try to answer each one
    To what you’ve inclined

Now question one
    Is as clear as can be
    I live by a Fort
    On a river you see

The fork in those rivers
    are not made by man hand
    They’re the muddy Arkansas
    And the blue water Grand

Tho two is a bit tricky
    For she is wiser then me
    How could I top Mother Nature
    I can’t even make a tree

Three is not hard
    For if nature I be
    I’ll set the world a blaze
    And red flames you’d see

To burn off the things
    That mankind has done
    Let me rethink what I said
    For I’d have no place to run

• Liz says:

@desk49 – This is a very clever reply! I love the rhyme and the structure! It’s so awesome how you wrote your reply! :}
      Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

@ Ellis — I love it when you free write a poem and realize…oh, wait a minute:~) If things keep going the way they seem to be, this poem might be prophetic.

Thanks for this visit. I know Liz appreciates you taking on this challenge with your poetic touch!

I hope summer’s treating you well!

7. Liz says:

I agree; nature is one of the best artists out there. 🙂
    Liz´s last blog post ..Nobody’s home!

8. Emily C. says:

Liz’s site brought me here! 🙂 Hello Sara and Liz 😉

I don’t think so, I live in the city. It’s very congested. I do love the forests though. I live in Malaysia which is supposedly 70% covered with forests. I doubt that now with all the new office buildings and mall. I recently found out that, in Kuala Lumpur (our capital) alone, has 66 shopping malls. :L

If you could ask nature to turn anything into art, what would it be and why?
    UNICORNS! 😀 I was just being random, haha. Unicorn is more of an art now eh?

The way people think that the whole recycle-to-save-earth thingo. I still can’t believe how some people can be so selfish! Using less resources is already helping the Earth! 🙂

x
    Emily C.´s last blog post ..Vote for my mate!

@ Emily — Who knows…maybe in those forests that still live there runs a Unicorn. He’s a flash of white against the shadow draped green:~)

Thanks for the visit. I know Liz appreciates. She did a great guest post, didn’t she!

• Liz says:

@Emily – Thanks for visiting! 🙂

Wow, geography books should really be updated, then! >.>

I use less resources! The people around me think of me as a high-maintenance freak, though, because of it. So what if I prefer to reuse my water bottle? That’s one less water bottle that will be going to a junkyard, and possibly one less water bottle that’ll be causing a sinkhole (hypothetically speaking, of course).

Thank you again for visiting, Emily! :}

P.S. Unicorns? YES. 😀
      Liz´s last blog post ..…and it’s really awesome!

Hi Liz, it is very nice to meet you. I have visited your site and enjoyed your photographs. I love your photo story, and the questions are intriguing. I hope to come back and answer some of them.

Sara, thank you for introducing us to Liz and her writing and photography. She poses some interesting questions. Life is very full this week, but I hope to find time to ponder those questions.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

10. Jean Sampson says:

Hi Liz and Sara—–Liz, your photos are wonderful and I see the tessellations in many of the photos—-lovely! I particularly liked your series of tree limbs, especially the cat (lion?) in the tree. I did have to look twice at that one.

Well, we have a huge, half-built building/skeleton downtown because the developer ran out of money. It has been there in that state for nearly 5 years and nobody seems to know what to do with it. Well how about some kudzu? I mean, at least it would be green and the birds would love it! I can just see it now, and it would no longer be “an eyesore,” as people call it.

If I were Nature for a day, I would really “educate” those people who get tired of raking their leaves and butcher their beautiful, fully-branched trees down to stubs that can only produce these pitiful suckers (we are famous for that sin in Virginia—I hope we are the only place where people do that particular thing to trees). And then, being Nature, I would re-branch all of the trees that had happened to! And, of course, the people I had “educated” would never do that to their trees again and would make a law against harming and disfiguring trees in any way!
    Thanks for the sharing, Liz, you are a very talented person and I am so glad Sara introduced you to us!

@ Jean — Where I live, the city will actually have art contests for young people to paint on old building or ugly walls. It helps with those concrete building that were popular for awhile and then get abandoned.

Also, in response the non-rakers and care-taking of trees, I agree. We have a few homes in my neighborhood that actually use the pine straw as natural floor covering, meaning they don’t have grass.

I know Liz will enjoy your comment. It gets to the essence of what her post was trying to say. Thanks for the visit:~)

• Liz says:

@Jean – Thank you! 🙂 Yes, it’s a cat. That’s Todd, my grey tabby cat. He has Manx in him, which explains his fishhook-like tail. 😛 I love taking pictures of trees. We have so many cool, unique trees here.

The skeleton item downtown seems quite interesting, and yes, some plants on it would be nice so it isn’t just sitting there! 😛

Raking leaves isn’t fun, but it does make the uard look nicer! 🙂

Thanks! I feel honored to have gotten this amazingly cool chance to meet everyone I have met so far (cyberly, of course), and it was a neat experience! 😀 Thank you for stopping by!
      Liz´s last blog post ..…and it’s really awesome!

11. Ginny says:

Hi Liz and Sara,
    Liz it is so nice to meet you. I enjoyed your picture and story very much. I had to think about your first question. Just fifteen years ago people would have said I lived in the country but now everything has changed and grown. There is a place not far from me that at one time was very magical. The gardens were open to the public and the remains of a burned out building was used for parties. In the early part of the evening, with just candlelight to lead the way, everything had an enchanted feeling to it. I was not the only one who felt that way since it was used for all types of celebrations.
    When I visited, I felt like I was going back in time. I used to love to go there to walk in the gardens or to write and draw. Then it was bought by an Austrian Prince and it became much more commerical (at least to me) so I have not been back in a very long time.
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Sunday’s Quote

12. […] it’s really awesome! Posted on August 16, 2011 by Liz Check out my guest post! […]

13. Angelia Sims says:

Hi Liz! Hi Sara!
    Ahh, another photography lover – yay!

Liz,
    I live right smack in the middle of two large cities. A highway is in sight from my front yard – major freeway. The Dallas Cowboys Stadium is 3 miles away – probably one of the most NON-natural sites. 🙂

It’s really hard to commune with nature here. I love to escape to the country and just revel in it’s beauty.

If I were nature for a day, I’d definitely high-tail it out of this town! LOL.
    Angelia Sims´s last blog post ..A Taste of Spring in the Heat of Summer

• Liz says:

@Angelia – My mom’s a lover of photography, too, so I think she’s who I got it from. The only different is that I love taking pictures of subjects other than people, and she loves photographing people. LOL.

I used to live in Euless… I could see the stadium right from my house… It’s pretty, but yes – one of the most non-natural sites! There’s a park in Euless that is a natural reserve for wildlife… There’s bobcats and such. They used to roam Euless because we lived so close. It was really scary. D; We had a curfew and everything! :O It’s still there, and it’s very natural… There’s a trail if you enjoy walking or just exploring trails, and there’s also a Butterfly Bush somewhere in there – along with many other forms of wildlife. :} …I hope it’s still there.

Thank you for visiting! 😀
      Liz´s last blog post ..…and it’s really awesome!

@ Angelia — I understand what you’re saying about living in between two big cities. It must be challenging to find nature. Where do you escape to? Are there places around that allow you to surround yourself with nature made art?

Both Liz and I appreciate your visit:~)

14. Liz says:

After contemplating, I decided that even though I wrote this, I would participate in it as well just for the fun of it – and to also challenge myself. 🙂

Aside from the structure, there is an oval of trees on our friendly neighbor’s property. It’s kind of like a miniature forest or something, and I really like it.

I also like the way nature has caused my [deceased] great grandfather’s tractor look (even not in the winter) all antique-y and such. It’s just all so beautiful. There’s actually a lot that I could say if I just sat and pondered it one day.

If you could ask nature to turn anything into art, what would it be and why?
    I would ask nature to create more trees, because trees are a lovely key to life!

I would plant more trees, flowers – anything I could to hopefully reach out to people to let them know a little more about nature, because too many people don’t appreciate it (or here they don’t, anyway).
    Liz´s last blog post ..Dating Pet Peeves