Fun with words

Poor Jane (Best read aloud!)

Jane.
Everyone thought
She was insane.
Things that were bought
Simply bored her lively brain.
She stole things, but wasn’t caught.
It made her bold — Stole the weathervane
Chickens and coop, she grabbed the whole lot.
The lady had ten sticky fingers she couldn’t contain.
When the circular staircase vanished, Jane got her mug shot!

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

This is a writing in response to the above picture prompt from Write on Edge. While it definitely made the word count of 600 words, I’m not sure it’s actually fiction, nonfiction, and it might even be doubtful as poetry, but it was so much fun to write:~)

Sometimes writing should be just that— fun and effervescent. Like blowing up a balloon and watching it float up into the clouds.

I think we, as writers, sometimes forget how much fun it is to finger paint with our words, giving them no great intent or power. Instead, letting them be a splash of colors on white paper; plain and simple, but lots of fun to create:~)

Source of the photograph: Pinterest

46 comments on “Fun with words

Absolutely – good point. Sometimes a splash of color is just right. I like your splash of color this morning, Sara.

p.s. I’ll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow. Visiting the fam in T’ville. 🙂 It’s sister’s birthday.

@ Lynn — Thanks. This writing really cheered me up. I had fun. Sorry I missed you, but I your post and it sounded like you had fun, too:~)

Sara, this was such a fun poem, so easy to read. I love the rhyme, and it did indeed tell a story. I love this!

@ Linda — I didn’t what to do with the picture prompts…I know that’s crazy given my Story Photo series, but it’s true. Then the phrase came…”Jane. Everyone thought she was insane.” I didn’t have a clue how I’d incorporate the circular staircase, but just kept writing and this “poem?” was the result. I’m pleased you liked it:~)

3. angela says:

I love to see what people come up with from the prompts, and this made me smile. Having fun with writing is so important, and I like the idea of Mrss Sticky Fingers Jane somehow making off with this staircase!

@ angela — We are in agreement. This made me smile, too. I always love it when my “muse” decides to take a silly turn. Thanks for stopping by and visiting:~)

4. Whatever it is, it’s WONDERFUL, Sara!!

To me it’s on par with “Farmer Brown’s Sheep” or “The Lady With The Alligator Purse,” two top-notch kids’ picture books — humorous and delightful.

Hey, write 10 or 15 more verses, get someone to illustrate (probably YOU,) and you can rake in MILLIONS. I am serious, Sara. This is that great!! I mean it. You and that man of yours could retire in style. And come visit me in Austin!!!

All the outrageous klepto things that Jane could get up to. You’ve got it in you to do.

Sorry I’ve not been here as much as I’d like to lately. Had a great studio session Monday night. Got a full 10 of my hopefully 12 new tunes laid down now. Thought I did have 11, but have decided already to put one new one on hold. But not to worry — songs do tend to pop up out of me. I plan on soon recording me on video to share a new one with you all. Soon-(ish) as I say. 🙂

Oh, the completed 10 tunes I speak of are just guitar and vocal so far — bass, drums, piano and all that other fun stuff to be put on. Saving up my $$ for that!

With love,

you-know-who-in-Austin, she who has scraped all the mold off her jpegs. 🙂 🙂

xoxo
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..If There’s A Smell Of Pancakes In The House

@ Jannie — I am pleased you enjoyed this. I don’t think I could that many more verses, but it would fun to see all the things Jane could get into.

Hey, don’t worry about how frequently you visit. I’m pleased you are enjoying your music and getting closer to the magic 12:~)

BTW I do love the poetry you are writing at your site. It’s unique, creative and so YOU:~)

5. Patricia says:

Oh Sara this was grand fun with words and I just had to look and look at the staircase, what a fabulous prompt…and it made me wonder where it is – maybe Paris.
    Then I felt a bit sorry for the painting hanging right behind the staircase..
    I thought your words added so much to the picture…I read it aloud and then silently and just let it tickle my imagination..
    so creative and FUN FUN
    I needed fun for sure as you can see by my post – thank you for your great comments there – they add so much.
    Patricia´s last blog post ..Camel Pirouette

@ Patricia — Wow, you are observant. I didn’t notice the painting behind the staircase, but I guess that’s the point you were making:~) Thanks for stopping by and reading this poem:~)

6. Kelvin Kao says:

Hehehe, this sounds like a nursery rhyme until you got to the mug shot part!
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..The First Computer Game I Played

7. Amy L. says:

You’re right. Have fun with the writing. Great advice. Now on with the show!
    Amy L.´s last blog post ..The House of the Rising Sun

@ Amy — On with the show. Sorry to be late in this reply. I seem have missed a whole group of people. I do appreciate you stopping by and reading this poem. Thank you:~)

8. Stacey says:

What fun! And such a good point. I know sometimes I make writing harder than it needs to be.

@ Stacey — Don’t we all make writing hard sometimes for ourselves. I’ve been trying to just sit and write without censoring. I quickly realized I could NOT do this on the computer; it has to hand written. It’s fun to do this. When I got back days later and read what I wrote, I find nuggets of interesting words….still just nuggets, but getting better:~)

9. Jean Sampson says:

This is so much fun! And I am glad you made it Jane instead of Jean because here is how it could have gone:
    Jean,
    she’s mean
    definitely not lean,
    tries to live grean….

Glad you didn’t go in that direction because you might have had to make me eat a raw string bean before it was over. 🙂

That was fun, Sara!

I think the best writing comes from playing with words and you have found a fun way to do it!

@ Jean — Sorry to be so late in replying to you. I missed a whole group of people. Your poem wasn’t true, but it did make me laugh, especially the part about eating a raw string bean…YUCK. You are so funny:~)

10. Katie says:

This was a fun posting. You used the prompt well.
    Katie´s last blog post ..Misty Morning-Red Writing Hood

11. earlybird says:

This was fun! and it showed that you had fun writing it. What a lovely analagy – finger painting with words. So important not to always take things too seriously.
    earlybird´s last blog post ..After the rain (fiction)

@ earlybird — I totally agree we shouldn’t take things too seriously:~) I appreciate you reading this poem and post. Thanks.

12. Carrie says:

This was such a fun little poem. I really enjoyed it.

Poor Jane…though now she might get the attention she is craving 🙂
    Carrie´s last blog post ..Empire Reel Babies {Giveaway}

@ Carrie — I’m so pleased you liked it. I had fun writing it. LOL about getting attention…I’m not sure she’ll want the attention prison might give her, but who knows?

13. Well done! That made me laugh out loud.

@ Kathleen — I’ve done my good deed. If I can make one person laugh out loud in a day, then I have written well. Laughter is one of my favorite things. Oddly, my usual stories aren’t that funny. I would never say I was a humorous, but my muse was definitely in a silly mood.

Thanks for visiting:~)

14. Sammie Love says:

So true! It’s nice to just let whatever words come pour out onto paper. I loved ten sticky fingers Jane!

@ Sammie Love — I guess people tell you this all the time, but you’ve got a great name!! It is nice when the words just tumble out by themselves. It makes me feel like Cinderella orchestrating the birds and mice to clean the house. Unfortunately, I’m not really Cinderella and not all my words WANT to work together:~)

15. Valerie says:

I love this Sara! Poor Jane. To think the spiral staircase would be her Waterloo. Well she stole my heart:)
    Valerie´s last blog post ..Choices

@ Valerie — Hey, Jane worked under the assumption — if you’re going to be a thief; steal something BIG. She’s pleased she stole your heart. Pretty soon, you’re going to get long emails begging you to send her money so she plan her escape from prison:~)

16. Katie says:

Fun with words; I love it!! And I agree completely. Writers sometimes take writing AND themselves to seriously. Most importantly, it should always be fun…at least in my opinion. And this was fun. LOVE that she stole the “whole lot” (chickens, coop, and weathervane) ha! Nicely done! I love when someone takes the prompt in an unexpected direction.
    Katie´s last blog post ..A Cage Without a Key

@ Katie — Fortunately, I have a “muse”….she’s actually one of my younger daughters old trolls. I found the box one day while cleaning up and Izzy came into my life. I’ve been writing every since…well, except the time Izzy went on strike and demanded credit for the writing. It took us a long legal battle to resolve this issue. She now does get credit, but as she’s imaginary; so too is the credit:~)

17. I love this! So fun and different.
    Chrissy @ Soy Mom´s last blog post ..The Descent

18. Ginny says:

I loved the words that you used to describe what writing should be: fun and effervescent, a splash of color on white paper, fingerpainting with words. Shouldn’t all things we do be colorful and fun? To answer my own questions: “YES!”
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Friday’s Very Special Moments of Gratitude

19. Caity says:

Awesome poem! I love it! 🙂
    Caity´s last blog post ..Our Vegetable Garden

20. ::giggle::
    CDG @ Move Over Mary Poppins!´s last blog post ..Six Wedding Words

21. Keith Davis says:

Hi Sara
    “Fun with words”

Sky blue,
    slate blue,
    cold as the wind blew,
    leaves that never stay still.

From the group “Family”

Now that Sara… is showing my age.

Keith
    Keith Davis´s last blog post ..All your life…

@ Keith — I looked up “FAMILY” but there were several groups. Which one did this? At your convenience, send me a link. I bet I’ve got you regarding “showing our ages!”

22. Chris Edgar says:

Ooh, I’ve got a few more suggested verses: And when she wanted sun, she stole the clouds and the rain. When her granny’s leg hurt, she stole the pain. Hmm, that gives Jane a “heart of gold” quality that you might not want for her. Anyway, I’m back and it’s good to see you again.
    Chris Edgar´s last blog post ..Exploring A Touchy Issue

@ Chris — I like your lines, especially how she stole her granny’s pain. Hey, why you write a poem and put it up. I challenge you!

Hi Sara .. I’m not sure how many times I’ve tried to post this ..actually this is the 2nd poem ..

Jane
    She paints
    She uses bristle
    colouring the purpley thistle
    which springs up amidst fields
    of scarlet sun-drenched waving poppies
    Flowers bedecking our vista views in plains
    Afore the azure sky with mountainous range between –
    Zephyrous wind gently plays amongst the trees and hedgerows …
    She flops into the meadowland delighted to dream some more …

hope this one doesn’t just vanish?! Cheers Hilary

@ Hilary — Well done about the poem. I don’t what happened to the other comment. I loved your descriptions in this poem, especially the “scarlet sun-drenched waving poppies.” Well written:~)