Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

by Sara on December 1, 2011

copyright by sara b. healy

The Haircut

I sat down in the chair.
He gave a haughty stare.
He said, I know just what to do.”
I asked, “Can I really trust you?”
He said, “Sure. I’ll fix everything.
Don’t you worry; I’m the hair king!”
I listened to snip, snip, snip,
Waiting for the perfect clip.
Now, my hair hangs uneven
Thanks to a cut by Stephen.*

This poem is loosely based on a Red Writing Hood prompt. The prompt was to write something about hair and I think the idea was to write a story, a character sketch or anything other than what I ended up writing. But sometimes you just have to go where your muse takes you!

Since no story developed, I began a desperate search for a picture to put something up at my site. I found this one and “VOILÀ!”  Somehow, the picture, the prompt and my muse decided to play together. It’s not exactly what Cheryl intended with her Write on Edge prompt,  but I had lots of fun writing this. In addition, I’ve been in that chair many times:~)

What about you?

• Have you been in a chair like Stephen’s?
  • Care to share any of your stories about hair cuts?

* This poem is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental. So, for any of the hair stylists out there named Stephen, this means I’m not talking about you:~)

Note to my readers:

I will be around the blogosphere off and on in December. My daughter and her husband will soon be visiting from England. As I don’t get to see them very often, I plan on spending as much time as possible with them. I know you will understand:~)

{ 24 comments… read them below or add one }

Hilary December 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

Hi Sara .. how wonderful that your daughter and her hubbie are coming over .. enjoy your time together … and obviously family come first.

Love the hair .. and the description .. great photo to go with the tale .. cheers Hilary

Sara December 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm

@ Hilary — I’ll still be around, but just not very consistent in my blogging during this month. I am excited about my daughter’s visit.

Thanks for the picture and the poem:~)

Have a great holiday season!
Sara´s last blog post ..Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

Lynn December 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

That photo is brilliant as illustration to your bad haircut poem. :)

We probably have all suffered at the hands of an enthusiastic scissors wielder. My mother ordered a set of haircutting scissors when she was a young mother and a neighbor let her practice on her and ran home crying after. You should see some of the pictures of me and my curly locks from childhood. Scary.

And as an adult I loved someone’s hair that I saw at Lenox Mall one day and asked her where she got it cut. She told me the salon and hairdresser’s name. I made an appointment. This theatrical looking woman walked in, looked at me, glared and said, “Who referred you? I only take referrals!” I explained and she grudgingly said that she thought she knew who I was talking about. As she snipped and snipped, she explained that she considered herself an ARTIST. OMG – I should have run right then. The worst haircut I ever had and it cost the moon.

I hope you enjoy your family and the holidays, Sara. I’ll be in Jefferson County for a farm Christmas again this year.
Lynn´s last blog post ..The Grinch, little hecklers and whitewashing

Sara December 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm

@ Lynn — Fortunately, my mom never attempted the haircuts. I’m sure my hair was better off, even though some of styles I wore make me blush today. The teased look with the flip.

Isn’t it true the worst haircuts always seem to cost the most.

Back at you about the holidays. You’ll be close to me. Seems to me a farm is a good place to be during the holidays. Have a good one:~)
Sara´s last blog post ..Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

Columbi Bueno December 1, 2011 at 8:32 am

The hairdresser got carried away and chopped at the top. What he left were the patches of prickly tufts. When my mother saw my new hairdo she said, “So, you finally have a beard!”
Columbi Bueno´s last blog post ..Anika

Sara December 1, 2011 at 4:12 pm

@ Columbi — LOL That’s funny. I remember once a hair stylist was in the midst of some crisis and telling me all about it when she was cutting my hair. It ended up being much, much shorter than I wanted, but I felt so badly for her, I didn’t say anything.

Thanks for sharing your hairy story:~)
Sara´s last blog post ..Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

susan December 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

Hi Sara! Oh my yes I’ve had some doozies of hair cuts over the years. I don’t fret about that anymore though. What’s the cure for a bad haircut? Two weeks.
It grows. It’s the only “mistake” that can melt away without a trace.
LOVE that tree!
Hugs
Susan
susan´s last blog post ..Congress, USDA, Pizza Vegetable = Transparent INSANITY

Sara December 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm

@ Susan — You are right, of course. It does grow. Still, there have been when two weeks felt like an eternity.

I know isn’t that picture funny. What’s strange is how it suddenly jumped out at me when I was trying to write that post.

Happy “healthy” day to you, my friend:~)
Sara´s last blog post ..Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

Talon December 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

Perfect shot for the poem, Sara! :)

I’m still not able to fully speak of the horrible haircut I endured 2 years ago – lol! I’m just really really grateful my hair grows fast! I have since found a perfect hairdresser. I only had to change originally because my usual (and beloved) hairdresser moved across the country.
Talon´s last blog post ..November Lights

Sara December 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm

@ Talon — Thanks about the photo. A good hairdresser is to cherished. Treat yours well:~)

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your hair thoughts!
Sara´s last blog post ..Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

JC December 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

Sara, luckily your hair is always perfect!

Sara December 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm

@ J.C. Such a gentleman, you are:~) Where’s the second part of the comment? You know the one that reads, “Just kidding!”

YOU, of all people, know about my hair issues. Too bad the DSMD doesn’t have a mental condition for crazy hair:~) At least, I don’t think it does?

Someday, I will finish that story I started about the “alien who lives on top of my head.” Just for you:~)
Sara´s last blog post ..Story Photo: Bad Hair Day

JC December 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Your hair is always perfect. That’s my story & I’m sticking to it!

Joy December 2, 2011 at 12:09 am

I love that you allowed your muse to guide you!
And, I haven’t been in that chair with hair, but perhaps in life..hasn’t always worked like I planned or thought, but with some improvisation and a little spice, it works out quite well:)
May you enjoy your time with your family:)

Jean Sampson December 2, 2011 at 12:38 am

Hi, Sara. I was my own evil hair cutter when I was first married and trying to save money. Well, with really fine hair and cowlicks all over the place, it was NOT pretty! So we decided that it was worth the cost of a haircut to have me NOT do that to myself again! If I did it nowadays, it might be in style, but I would have to dye it pink and get some tatoos and piercings! then I might be able to pull off one of those Jean Specials! :)
Have a lovely time with your family! And why don’t you string a few lights on that tree?

Linda December 2, 2011 at 9:46 am

Great poem with the perfect illustration. Even though we are always our own worst critics, we have all had haircut disasters. Most of mine were when I tried (and failed) to describe what I wanted. You know it’s bad when you look in the mirror and cry at your own reflection. For what it’s worth, it always looks worse to us than anyone else.
Linda´s last blog post ..Secrets

Ginny December 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

I love the picture and the poem. Obviously, bad hair cuts and hair days are something we can all relate to. I met a wonderful hair dresser from Russia and I loved what she could do with my hair but a lot depended upon her mood. Unfortunately, one day my appointment was not on a good mood day and I walked out looking like I had stuck my finger in an electric socket. I really did love her work but I wasn’t willing to take a chance after that.
Have a wonderful holiday season. I know you must be so excited about having time to spend with your daughter and her husband. I will be here when you have time to visit (with stories of a new grandson). Happy holidays to you and your family.
Ginny´s last blog post ..Friday’s Special Moments of Gratitude

Valerie December 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Love this Sara! It’s so much fun!

I’ve been to several Stephens-and paid dearly for the privilege too;)
Valerie´s last blog post ..The Compliment

Madeleine December 4, 2011 at 9:09 am

Great poem! I had a friend who walked out mid haircut because the guy was rude and seemed to be high on drugs. I had a perm that made me look like a show poodle, another like a lion, until I cut the front to match the back and another that was so short at the top it doesn’t bear thinking about! LOL!
Madeleine´s last blog post ..A Positive Rejection

Liz December 6, 2011 at 12:10 am

Ooh, England? Fancy :P I’m currently on my phone. I liked the poem, and the picture fits it quite nicely. ;)

pea December 6, 2011 at 5:32 am

(Wave) Hallo Sara’s daughter!
pea´s last blog post ..Amish Simplicity

Fred December 13, 2011 at 7:10 am

This post is like a Photo Poetry. Love this one. I remember my college time taking-up humanities.
Fred´s last blog post ..Brainwave Entrainment Using Binaural Beats

Fireblossom December 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Miss you.
Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Dear Quasimodo

Jannie Funster December 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

I sure DO understand you spending less time blogging. Your daughter is home, your daughter is home!! Happy-happy joy-joy. Enjoy.

Yes, had a baaaaad haircut in 1995. I still shudder.

And Sara, Angel — I sent you a song mp3 to the e-mail you sign in to comment in Funsterland. Hope you received it!

Love you!

xoxoxooxoxo
Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..Silver Balls, Silver Balls, It’s Christmas Time Here In Texas…