Picture Story: Odd Man Out

sara b. healy photo (click to enlarge)

The phrase, “Odd Man Out” is often defined as “Something or someone who differs markedly from the others in a group.” In this group of seagulls, there is an “odd man out.”

Your challenge

Pick one or more of these questions and leave your creative answers in the comment box. HINT: Make something up:~)

1. How did this bird end up being the “odd man out?”
  2. Why is he hanging out with these gulls?
  3. What is his name and why was he given this name?

Quickie Challenge

Name the kind of bird that is the “odd man out.” HINT: The Byrds sang a song with the bird’s name, but spelled differently. Here are the first few lines:

To Everything….blank, blank blank…
There is a season…blank, blank, blank…
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

p. s. I’m pretty sure I’m right about the kind of bird my little “odd man out” is, but if you think differently, please else tell me:~)

27 comments on “Picture Story: Odd Man Out

1. Kelvin Kao says:

He’s the kid that wants to go play on the beach but mama wouldn’t allow it. He decides to sneak out with the big kids anyway!
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Chinese New Year Lucky Greetings

@ Kelvin — He’s does kind of look like that doesn’t he? He reminded me of miniature Napoleon Bonaparte given how he’s standing.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on the “odd man out.”

2. suzen says:

He is actually the leader! The big guys do the fishing for him and he was checking on their progress for the day.
    Hugs
    Suzen
    suzen´s last blog post ..The Poop on Poop

@ Susan — LOL that’s a great one and it does the picture. The gulls look a bit weary compared to this little guy, don’t they:~)

3. He knows his peeps are right behind. No worries for that guy!
    Columbi Bueno´s last blog post ..three by himself

He’s a spy. Not a very good one, because he sticks out so much, but he tries his best. 🙂

I think you’re right – he’s a common tern with an uncommon tern profession.

Awesome shot, Sara!
    Talon´s last blog post ..Concavity

@ Talon — Poor little spy. Perhaps he needs the gulls to stand around him…then no one would see him!

I liked your play on words. It took me ages to figure out what kind of bird he was. I didn’t realize the beak of a common tern turns to black in the winter. I’ve seen them at the beach in the summer, but their beaks were orange at that time. This really threw me for awhile! Thank goodness for Google:~)

Thanks about your words about the photo. There’s something about seabirds that fascinates me:~)

5. It looks to me like he’s a “bird of a different feather.” He doesn’t look like a sea gull to me. I think his name is Stinky. All of the other birds of his type, used to laugh and call him names. They never let poor Stinky, join in any black and white bird games.
    So Stinky ran away from the birdy bullies and found the seagulls. They don’t care that he’s smelly. They’re scavengers for crying out loud. They like odiferous stuff. And Stinky? He’s got a really good schnoz. He can smell cast off McDonald’s bags like nobody’s business. He’s their new best friend.
    So Sara . . . how’d I do?
    Diane Tarantini´s last blog post ..A Love Hate Friendship

@ Diane — LOL What a clever story about Stinky. I loved the last line, “Don’t tell Stinky, but they’re getting ready to vote him in as “Leader of the (pecking) Pack.” You did great. This was very creative:~)

6. Jean Sampson says:

Hi Sara—–he is a Springer Tern, which is a very rare bird with legs that retract and then spring up so that he will actually be taller than all the other birds. He likes to play it close, though, and not give away all his secrets, so he doesn’t use his springy legs mechinism very often, only when he needs to be large and in charge. Sorry, it is late and who knows what is running around in my head! 🙂

7. Shelly says:

“Odd man out” or the “star of the show” ? – I will call him “Elvis” due to his slick black head of feathers and what looks to be red eyes. While the bird appears to me to be a Shallow Tail Gull, I feel confident that “Elvis” is not hang-out with the other gulls, but he is dominating this event and running them off his territory. I envision a potential mating opportunity is in the near future for Elvis. In that particular bird when their head is black it it mating time. I would like to think he is not working it with those other birds. I think he could do much BETTER!
    Odd Man Out only by choice!
    I totally enjoy your blog – Keep up the GREAT WORK!

@ Shelly — Love the name “Elvis.” I think it fits this little guy perfectly. And yes, he probably could do better than the gulls he’s hanging out with. Given his stance, I think he’s getting this idea:~)

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts:~)

This little fellow was blown away during a hurricane. The gulls have agreed to help him find his family, and named him Beanie Weanie because of his size and the spot on his head.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Groundhog Day 2012

@ Linda — this is ANOTHER great response. I like Beanie Weanie and it’s nice of the gulls — they’re known for being nice — to help Beanie Weanie get back to his family:~)

I think they lovingly call him Shorty. 🙂

In your neck of the woods right now – mom’s in the hospital again. People are so lovely here.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Groundhog Day, the movie and the real deal

10. […] Shyness Project Arriving At Your Own Door The Rose Bandit  The Secret Goddess  Today’s Path A Sharing Connection Holessence Speaking From the […]

11. Valerie says:

Sara-is it turn, or is it tern?

I think that bird is a Gidget bird. She wants to surf with the boys, but they don’t think she’s any good and so they don’t take her seriously. Boy are they wrong!!

I’m just not sure yet which gull is Moon Doggie:)
    Valerie´s last blog post ..Take a Seat

@ Valerie — It’s a “tern.” You tell by his long beak. Gulls have a slightly curved beak. It’s probably hard to tell which is Moon Doggie…boy I haven’t thought about Gidget in ages. Those were funny movies:~)

Boy oh boy – why can’t these thugs leave me in peace .. I had this bit of the beach to myself …. but down they came – they are an inconsiderate lot.

She couldn’t find me either .. but then she is English – so we have to give our ancestors over the pond some leeway … but she should know my name – common I may be – but they call me Yearn … as I yearn to be alone …

… To Everything there is a season…
    Tern! Tern! Tern! They sing my name
    Am I ready to fly to fame
    or can I stay as tern o’common ….

Yearn is my name amongst the common terns.

Cheers Sara – I had to cheat and look up the byrd – brain wasn’t working!! Enjoy the coming days – Hilary

@ Hilary — VERY CLEVER response. I love it when let your imagination dance with your words. I love the name “Yearn.” I guess he’s called Yearn, the common tern:~)

Thanks for participating in this challenge, Hilary!!

13. Ginny says:

I’ve decided that these are his bodyguards who watch out for him no matter where he is.
    I thought of this while driving yesterday. So that means no matter where I go your pictures stay with me. I really do enjoy the pictures you take.
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Friday’s Special Moment of Gratitude

14. Liz says:

My youngest brother, Christopher (I have an ex and a brother named Chris. .-.), who often feels left out. I’m going to share this entry with him, because it’s amazing how he can actually understand concepts like these…

So, I’ll be back. When he’s over here, and you’ll get to see a comment from him. 😛 (I promise, it’ll be quite intriguing since he won’t even be ten until May and he already has the smarts of a high school freshman in all AP classes.
    Liz´s last blog post ..Meh.

@ Liz — That’s nice. I hope he enjoys this post. I think we’ve been the “odd man out” at some point in our lives.

Thanks for stopping by, Liz:~)