Picture Story: What is it?

by Sara on April 11, 2012

what am I?

I took this picture in 2008 in Switzerland.

Soon, we’re going back to the land of tall-regal mountains, flower-filled meadows and cautious-climbs that take your breath away.

I mean climbs that literally take your breath, like you can’t catch your breath for ages, your heart feels like it’s going to bounce out of your body and your legs are screaming “STOP, did you forget you’re from FLAT Florida?”

Enough of that; let’s move on to the challenges….

Your Creative Challenge: What is it?

1. Is it an animal, an alien, an artistic anomaly, or possibly an android? By the way, you don’t have to stick with the letter “a.” I was just having fun:~)
  2. If it could talk, what’s the first word it would say to you?
  3. Where did it come from? (Switzerland doesn’t count!)
  4. What’s its favorite thing to do?

This challenge is for those who want to exercise their creativity and imagination. The answer to the Quickie Challenge is only acceptable if you make it into something that’s a fiction of your mind.

Quickie Challenge:

This challenge is for those who are busy and need to comment quickly. Don’t worry, you won’t hurt my feelings…too much:~)

What is this really a picture of? Here’s your hint:

I have no head, and a tail I lack,
But oft have arms, and legs, and a back;
I inhabit the palace, the tavern, the cot-
‘Tis a beggarly residence where I am not.
If a monarch were present (I tell you no fable),
I still should be placed at the head of the table.

Source: I couldn’t find the author for this riddle, but here’s the site.

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Kelvin Kao April 12, 2012 at 6:05 am

When I saw the picture, the first thing that came to mind was “table!” The thing is, I sometimes take pictures of things on my kitchen table, so I notice the stripes of wood and their patterns. Based the riddle though, it’s a chair.

I don’t know what animal this is, but whatever it is, it has huge nostrils.
Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..I am on TV!

columbibueno April 12, 2012 at 8:17 am

A tiki hut, wiped off the face of the earth, floating in heaven, its simple shelter strong and harmonious, its exhortation of respect towards all living things mocked and destroyed. And the hut the only haven for all those seeking mercy.
columbibueno´s last blog post ..Hell for Failures

Chen Mingi April 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

“Sacred”, I heard whispered.
I looked around, checking to see if I was still alone in the shed. Yeah, 2am again, still wrapped up in my wood, as she likes to say.
How can I explain it to her, this new hobby of mine? No, it’s a compulsion, I simply must carve now. I haven’t worked with wood since school, and then things didn’t go too well.
This time is different. Even the wood itself seemed to call out to me as I walked past it in the lumberyard. Later, I found my feet guiding me to the hardware store.
She thinks I’m going nuts, and lately I haven’t been disagreeing as much or as loudly.
I can feel my heart tingle with each stroke and scrape of the knife along the wood’s smoothing surface. It’s an excitement of discovery. Like unwrapping a birthday present, something is emerging. But what?
I’ve stopped finding it strange to see my hands guided where they will. Like some Ouija board mystic deep in séance, I sometimes find myself carving with my eyes closed and singing a sort of little song.
“Ahemm… ahumm… bedeemm… budumm” the soft chant seems to go, in rhythm with my hands.
And now, almost in answer, I’ve been hearing a soft sort of sound. From the wood?
“Alive, ahhh, alive…,” “Haaa, ahhh, ahee…,” “Joy, hoyy, woyy…!”
Maybe the therapist was right in sending me to California for those retreats. It really did me good to start enjoying my breathing. So simple, really. But they were too far out with that bit about everything being alive and breathing in its own way. Wacka-wacka, woo-woo, I laughingly told her when I got back.
Now, here I am, breathing with this wood, singing with this tree, midwifing the birth of something, what?

Belinda April 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

Could it be a king’s throne? Some sort of blond wood piece of furniture?

I am on spring break with my son and husband and have been having a blast on a California adventure. We visited a “petrified forest” yesterday and wow, it’s amazing what texture/surface those trees have developed after a volcano erupted many years ago. Anyway, this image made me think of trees and wood how only nature can “turn trees into rock”.

On to the creative challenge:
1) This is a creature that only makes an appearance every 100 years. It’s a milleniawolf. It makes an appearance for a few days during a full moon. When the moon wanes, it retreats back into hibernation for the next 100 years.
2) If it could talk, it would say, “Hey, what’s new out here in the wild?”
3) it comes from the deepest caves that even fracking technology cannot reach. Close to the earth’s deepest underground rivers. That’s how it retains its light color.
4) Its favorite thing to do is to forage the forest for fresh fruits, nuts and vegetables and then come nightfall, it howls at the full moon before it goes back into hiding.

Have a fantastic time in Switzerland!

Hilary April 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hi Sara .. looked like a cow to me – from where – unknown! Then a cuckoo clock .. beautiful wood lines though .. brain dead for now .. it does look like a pig – I posted a pretty pig on my Knepp castle post ..

Hope all’s well .. cheers Hilary

Gerri April 12, 2012 at 11:55 am

If I were to name it as an animal, it would be a “pow”. A pig+cow, hahaha!

Lovely wood…and is it really a chair?
Gerri´s last blog post ..New Home

Jean Sampson April 12, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I do believe that we have really upset Mother Nature so badly that a tree has given birth to a seal. After that, anything could happen! We are surely living in absurd times!

Liz April 13, 2012 at 1:40 am

Is it an animal, an alien, an artistic anomaly, or possibly an android? It looks like the silhouette version of a bear’s head. Maybe it is a shadow.
If it could talk, what’s the first word it would say to you? “Do you know Yogi Bear?
Where did it come from? Russia ;)
What’s its favorite thing to do? Be hardheaded.

What is this really a picture of? Is it one of those royalty chairs? Like a throne or something? I’m too lazy to click the credit link. P:
Liz´s last blog post ..It takes time

suzen April 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Sara! Boy your photos are something else! This was, to me, the embryo and soul of a great tree. It said LIVE, GO FORTH AND LIVE.
hugs
suZen
suzen´s last blog post ..What do your CRAVINGS mean?

Valerie April 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm

The nose of a wolf.

I’ve been creeping about the forest on the night of a full moon. I turn the corner of a large outcropping of rock, and this is the last thing I see.

Before I turn and run for my life.

(Or, might it be a chair? ) ;)

Have a great weekend Sara!!
Valerie´s last blog post ..Bird Trouble

Lynn April 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Oh I don’t know!!! Something wooden. I’ll be anxious to hear. (Sorry – approaching burn out this week.) Hope you are well.
Lynn´s last blog post ..L is for Love, Light and Life

Carrie April 16, 2012 at 8:07 am

Sara, really, isn’t it obvious??
It’s a sloth that got so incredibly lazy that the tree it was lounging on eventually ‘ate’ it! Honestly, it’s so clear, look at his face!
What would he say? – probably something very slowly and so utterly boring that you would only ever hear the first few mumbled syllables before you had to walk away.
It came from the outside of the tree, quite some time ago. I don’t know where sloths are indigenous but he as a pet that killed his owner with boredom and he very very slowly escaped the scene of the crime by going out the window and laying on this tree.
Favourite thing to do?? ummm nothing much :)

Hugs Sara xx (I know, it’s been too long)
Carrie´s last blog post ..No, it’s just not for me

Linda April 17, 2012 at 11:25 am

Sara, this is a great shot, and I’ve been trying to figure it out. It looks like two panels that have mirror images placed side by side. Not creative, I know, but the big schnoz is not talking to me. We have some knotty pine walls in our house and between the grain and the knots, there are some interesting faces on those walls.
Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

Caity April 18, 2012 at 2:44 am

At first glance, it looked like a pug dog to me. I don’t know why. Since it is a dog, it would probably say woof! It came from the pound and it likes to sleep. It looks like it’s sleeping here. I am not feeling very creative tonight, I suppose. Haha! Very cool image, though!
Caity´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday: Punakaiki (Pancake Rocks)

pea April 21, 2012 at 8:24 am

Clearly this is a garrafolumpus. It is bred in the Scottish mountains. It’s first words quite obviously would be ‘Good afternoon,’ if it were bred well and indeed if it were the afternoon.
It’s favourite thing? Well most garrafolumpi spend the day garrafolumping. Tut! Is it me or is this challenge too easy… :)
pea´s last blog post ..A Firm Belief:

Jannie Funster May 2, 2012 at 8:23 am

Miss you!

But glad to hear you’re taking a nice little break.

xooxoxoxoxox