Under Construction

I’m taking a break from blogging right now. We’re doing renovations to our house — replacing old 1980s cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, as well as some other changes. It’s about time!

However, this means I have the job of cleaning out the old to prepare for the new. Given my tendency to be a packrat, this process is taking more time than anticipated.

A part of me says dump it all, but another part spends way too much time in memory land.

For example, today I pulled a yellow smiley cup that once held birthday flowers, sighed and said “Oh, I remember this cup. I can’t give it away!”

I had to grab my hand and forcefully put the cup into the giveaway box:~)

It’s tedious and depressing work, but it must be done.

So, I hope you’ll be patient with me and not forget me. When I come up for air, I plan to do visits — if only to keep my sanity:~)

Talk to you soon!

15 comments on “Under Construction

I was wondering where you were. Glad all is well, and best of luck on the remodel. I know you’ll love it when you’re done, and it will all be worth it.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

2. Best wishes while you renovate! xo
    Gerri Smalley´s last blog post ..August Break 2012 Day 21

sulk sulk sulk

well….okayyyyyyyyyyy….but only if you promise not to forget *me*, and to come back.
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Book Review: "Chain Gang Elementary"

Hi Sara .. clearing out has to have a ruthless mind – chuck – don’t think …. I’ve made one or two mistakes in the past – but can’t say I’m really any the worse off .. and the clear out didn’t take long ..

Good luck – it’ll be wonderful to have a newly refreshed home .. thinking of you toiling … perhaps! Cheers Hilary

I hope you have fun with all of that – I’m doing a little myself right now. My laundry room contents are in the bedroom floor right now – I got cabinets put in there. Love to organize!
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Random flowers, random meetups and a good Saturday

6. Kelvin Kao says:

I am cleaning my room at the moment, so I totally understand. I am trying to get rid of as many things as possible though!
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Wow

7. suzen says:

Been there, done that – twice – both home and lake house. I can so relate to the “smiley cup” issue. I think our homes are full of those! I had an angel on my shoulder that told me I will always always have the memory of that thing, to have IT is not necessary. On my other shoulder I had the sort of bitch who said “If you move, do you really want to pack that stuff?” (only she used mostly 4-letter words!

I sure pared down to the basics and I outlawed shopping, lest I re-supply!

Good luck with your partings and try to enjoy the process!
    Hugs
    SuZen

8. I can relate! I’m in the midst of renovations as well and finally gave up on the blogging until I can get life back to some semblance of order. I’m starting to feel the urge to post again, so I may do so here and there. We’ll be here when you get back!
    Nadine Feldman´s last blog post ..Taking a Blog Break

9. Ginny says:

So glad to see you post even if it is just once in awhile. I am always cleaning out and throwing away. My friends laugh at me but I have to have space. Have fun with the remodel. It can be rough but so worth it when it is over.

Don’t forget to take pictures!
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Wednesday’s Walk

10. For YOU? I shall be patient until the Moon flies off to Vegas with a rogue comet.

xoxo
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..Everything’s Good. There Is Plenty. (a poem)

11. Patty says:

Whenever this happens to me I think of this story from Barbara Sher. She bought a vacation home that came with a garage filled with old stuff and she kept thinking “some day” she’d go sort through it and uncover a treasure trove of wonderful things in it. But she never did it. Then one weekend she got there and discovered the garage and all the stuff in it had burned down. She was surprised at how relieved she felt, because she realized she had never really wanted to sort through the stuff but instead just sit on the porch and read.

I don’t know if it’s a true story but I think of it whenever I’m angsting over letting stuff go. So here’s to happy purging, Sara!
    Patty´s last blog post ..Come on in: The studio’s open

12. jean sampson says:

Oh, so THAT’s where you’ve been! I did wonder if you had gone back to Europe! Hey, you could take pictures of everything that really should go and put it all on a disk (or several) so you will have a record—-and then your kids can just inherit a disk instead of a pile of stuff that they will have to weed through just like you are doing. Yes, and I like Ginny’s idea of sending us pictures—-even in the yukky stages so we can appreciate the finished product even more!! You will feel wonderful when it is all over! XO

13. chen mingi says:

It might be possible to have fun with all that – you are quite creative! Think of each object you’re giving as a gift to someone. You can even wrap it up! Or, when you find yourself having trouble parting with something that’s on the fence, let your significant other do it. Yeah, that way it will only take a heartbeat. You can return the favor, too, and pass along his fuzzy bathrobe.
    Enjoy!

14. Ginny says:

Hope things are going well. Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Sunday’s Quote and Reflection

15. Angelia Sims says:

That is exactly why I have such a hard time cleaning stuff out. Hope the renovations are going well. 🙂
    Angelia Sims´s last blog post ..Eat Cake and Celebrate