Florida Snowbirds

Click on the picture for a better view of the gull.

Not all winter visitors to Florida are people. This is a gull that spends most of his time up north, but in winter he’ll pack his bags and come where it’s warmer.

This one is juvenile. It took me some time to identify him because of his color. Like us, later in his life, he turns gray (and white). I also liked his pink legs and feet. Click on the picture for a better view.

He wasn’t afraid of us, which I found interesting. Most gulls take off if you get within a few feet of them. Well, unless you have fish treats. Then you can’t chase them away:~)

As you can see, he let us get quite close to him and we didn’t have any treats. He interested me because his color and size. He’s a big fellow, compared to the other gulls I usually see on the Gulf of Mexico shores.

Your Challenge

I thought this would a fun “what’s the caption” picture. That’s your challenge – write a good caption for this picture. Keep it PG, as always:~)

Quickie Question

Hmmm. This may not be a quick question, but I’ll give it to you anyway. What kind of gull do you think this one is? I narrowed it down to a gull that is named after a fish, a northern fish. Let’s see who gets it right first!

Kudos Corner

Every once in awhile, I want to send kudos out to some people and let you, my readers, know what they’ve been up to.

Jean’s gone to the BIG APPLE. Well, her paintings have. Her abstract paintings are on sale in NYC and online. Just go to here and there are her beautiful abstract pictures. Pretty cool, right? My favorites were Smokey Orange and Pushing Color. Which are your favorites?

Kelvin of Puppet Kaos was very busy in 2012. One of my favorite things he’s done lately is to create a HD puppet video Christmas card on YouTube. I didn’t even know they had high definition on YouTube. Check it out here.

Chris Edgar has renamed his site, Steve’s Quest, after the animated musical Chris has been working on. Check out of the status of his musical here.

Also, take a moment to visit Patty’s new site, Living Deep Studio. She had a wonderful series, “The Story of 2012,” which provided some excellent writing prompts for reviewing 2012. To view all of this series, go to Patty’s “Archives” and click on December (located on the right side of her site).

Ginny, Special Moments in Time, is now a Certified Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coach. If you don’t know what this is, just visit her site here for all the information.

Last but not least, check out Liza’s new site. It’s still called 6birds, but the theme has changed. Be sure to move your cursor around. It’s fun. Liza loves to redo her site and she does a good job at it.

If I left someone out who wants a Kudos mention, let me know via my contact box. Just to be clear, this isn’t a spot for advertising services. It’s a chance to give people a “pat on the back” for their accomplishments.

24 comments to Florida Snowbirds

How about “Clearing for Takeoff!” :) He looks as if he is on a runway.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Fresh vegetables, carrot soup and lazy day

2. jean sampson says:

L think you could call it a Tease Gull and the caption could be “Follow me!” Sara, thank you so much for the Kudos! I want to go explore everyone’s exciting creativity! How wonderful, and what amazing friends you have here!

3. Ken Winker says:

Happy New Year and wishing you a great 2013!

4. Valerie says:

Is he a herring gull (or is he just a red herring for another sort of gull?) ;)

“This lopsided game of leap frog is wearing me out!!”

Happy New Year Sara!! I’m looking forward to keeping up with you and your wonderful blog in 2013!! :)
    Valerie´s last blog post ..Snow Day? No Way!

@ Valerie — YOU GOT IT! At least that’s what I thought he was. There was only one juvenile that I saw, but he was much bigger than the other birds.

Your caption is great.

Happy new year back at you:~)

5. chen mingi says:

Okay, I ran through your legs. Now it’s your turn to run through mine!
    Don’t tell me you’re chicken…

6. suzen says:

I think he is saying “Another one prefers sand to snow!” (I know I do!)
    Hugs
    SuZen
    In case I didn’t tell you, Happy New Year! We’ve both been blogging so long (can’t remember when I DIDN’T actually) and I’m so glad we’re both still here!
    suzen´s last blog post ..Alkaline Foods for Vibrant Health

7. Ginny says:

Sara. thank you so much for the Kudo. That was really nice of you and definitely made my day.

I immediately thought of Follow Me for the caption. Then I saw that was Jean’s caption as well! I couldn’t be in better company. I hope that you are having a great start to 2013.
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Wednesday’s Walk – Where Does Time Go?

8. Kelvin Kao says:

Hm… did you eat fish for lunch? Perhaps the bird smelled it under your breath!
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Looking Back At 2012

That’s a great shot, Sara.

Caption: “Oh, no! I’ve been framed!
    Linda´s last blog post ..Beauty at the Beach

10. I really love Jean’s paintings! My fave was a sold one.

As to the lovely young gull… “give up the tuna and we’ll talk.” I can’t think of a Norther fish. Cod? The great Arctic cod?

Wonderful post, Sara.
    Happy Belated New Year!

xoxo
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..On Martha Stewart’s Houseplants

@ Jannie — I like your caption. It’s fits. Jean’s paintings are really nice, aren’t they.

Thanks about the post and happy new year to you:~)

11. I will have to come back and check out all your referrals – I have very blurry vision today and a giant tree being felled next door – so huge noise…I am hiding out with an ice pak on my head…Thanks for you good words on the recent book review – a good writer indeed

Caption: What no ice cream?

Our gulls dive bomb your ice cream cones here…not as aggressively as the one at ST. Ives in UK – wow even in the rain they were amazing. We have lots of GAY gulls here with no viable egg production – the speculation is that the pulp mills have destroyed their DNA with all the water pollution, but where as the wild salmon is finding recovery, the gulls are not…We have so many year round I can imagine them becoming extinct though.

The Frankenfish ( GMO Salmon) release scheduled here has most folks up in arms ( except our legislators of one party) and that is causing huge noisy protests all over ….even among the gulls

Nice photography Thank you for sharing your good work
    Patricia of Patricias Wisdom´s last blog post ..Hearing Aids: The Future is Here

@ Patricia — I have the sound of trees being cut down almost as much as I hate the sound of a grass blower. It makes me cringe.

Gulls are very aggressive if you have any FOOD. That’s strange about the gulls with egg production. Well, this gull is juvenile so at least some gulls somewhere near me are still “having fun”:~)

BTW Great caption!

Hi Sara .. love Lynn’s thought – but they’re lazy chaps ‘dem gulls … they’ll eat anything – and are great opportunists … and they make such a racket … not my favourite birds!

Thanks for updating us on other bloggers – always good to read about them and I must click over and check them out ..

Cheers – and have a very happy year – Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Malingering today and remembering the Winter Weather 1962/3

@ Hilary — I kind of agree about gulls not a favorite bird, but this guy was so unafraid of us that it fascinated me.