Story Photo Challenge: Jack the Parrot

by Sara on February 1, 2013

This picture was taken on a trip San Destin, Florida. Near our hotel was a shopping area with a store that sold a variety of pinwheels.

I liked this one because there’s something about the parrot’s expression and the feeling of movement that makes me say, “This parrot is going someplace!”

Your Challenge

Where do you think this parrot is going and why?

Extra Credit Challenge

Finish this line: There once was a parrot named Jack….

Feel free to use poetry or any other kind of writing, but keep to the word limit of 100 words.

Have fun, be creative and enjoy:~)

p.s. My daughter, Carrie, has joined the blogging world. Along with a friend, Brittany Walter, she has started SkeletonWalks, a collaborative bioarchaeological blog discussing current research topics in bioarchaeology and addressing matters concerning graduate student life. Stop by and say hello if you get a chance:~)

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

Fireblossom February 1, 2013 at 8:48 am

Well, he is clearly coming to my house so that we can go biking together! He is super cute. If I had been shopping with you that day, he’d have been sold!

There once was a parrot named Jack,
who pedaled to to the Pyrenees and back.
He got tired on the uphill,
so he tried out a new skill,
and went faster when he started to flap!
Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Bolt & Burrow

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm

@ Fireblossom — LOL Oh, you get an A+++++++ for that one:~)

suZen February 1, 2013 at 10:07 am

I think the poor guy is riding in circles around the park complaining that he ate too much yesterday and is trying to burn off the calories cuz his GF told him to lose the pot belly or ELSE!
Hugs
SuZen
suZen´s last blog post ..Big Butts and Bellies

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm

@ SuZen — That’s funny. He does look like he needs to do some fast riding and maybe better eating:~)

JC February 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

There once was a parrot named Jack
Who thought he was good in the sack
He just didn’t realize
He was in for a surprise
When he couldn’t even find his own flat

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm

@ JC — Very cute…I’m assuming the “flat” you refer to is his apartment? Just in case someone might misunderstand:~)

Asproulla February 1, 2013 at 11:29 am

There once was a parrot named Jack,
A-des’prate to jump in the sack.
So he schemed and he plotted
‘Cause he was besotted
With a budgie girl, green blue and black :)

Sara, I think he’s racing to the florist because he knows that his budgie girl will be getting home from work soon and wants to greet her with a bouquet!
Asproulla´s last blog post ..Frog & Flower

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm

@ Asproulla — Limericks do fit this challenge, don’t they. I loved this one. I hope he got the bouquet in time.

I confess, however, I had to look up budgies. They very cute birds. My cat, Aggie, thought so too…which made me rethink getting a few.

Hilary February 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hi Sara … I’ve been over to Carrie’s blog and said hi and left a couple of links .. but Jack definitely wants to find his rainbow – he looks quite depressed .. however:

There was once a parrot named Jack
Who rode for a week there and back
He toed the line then took the flack
That poor old parrot named Jack

Have a good weekend and enjoy that Game if it’s yours or J’s forte … Hilary
Hilary´s last blog post ..Big Freeze 1962/63 part 1

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm

@ Hilary — Oh, that was nice to visit Carrie’s site. She’ll be delighted.

I liked your poem very much.

Since I’m late in responding to comments, I will tell you the game was interesting. I almost gave up on it and then the lights went out….

Talon February 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm

There once was a parrot named Jack who couldn’t fly. With clipped wings and a clipped sense of adventure, he figured his days would be spent sitting on a perch and pecking at unsuspecting visitors and trying to perfect his skill at mimicking human words and trying to find more of those type of words that had his owner turning as red as Jack’s feathers. But, much to his delight, his owner produced a bicycle and it was a lot of ruffled feathers and more of the type of words that made his owner’s face turn red before Jack mastered the art of peddling.

Jack became very proficient on the bicycle. His owner would put him out on the patio to entertain his guests who would oooh and ahhh over the clever skill of Jack. One afternoon, when Jack’s owner and his guests were finished applauding Jack’s skills and were clinking glasses and chattering, Jack rode his bicycle right across the patio, right past the various shoes of the guests and right down the patio stone walkway toward freedom.

Some claim to have seen the parrot on the bicycle, but he’s so quick to pass that no one has managed to snap a pic. Some claim that Jack is still peddling to this day…
Talon´s last blog post ..Cryptical

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

@ Talon — Oh, this is fun to read and such a great story. It really is good to have you back in the comment box.

BTW the picture at your site was stunning, as were the words that accompanied it:~)

Alien Ghost February 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm

To me it seems the parrot is going nowhere specific, just having a pleasure ride while singing his favorite song.

Between the colors and the shapes, it seems to be an air of central american or brasilian carnaval, like if he was among lots of people celebrating, but we can only see the parrot in his bicycle.

I wish I could see the surroundings the parrot is in…looks like a lot of fun!

Raul
Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..Living Units

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:47 pm

@ Alien Ghost — You got it! The place does have a air of celebration. I wonder what this parrot’s favorite song would be?

I’ll be honest, I thought he looked a bit like the witch in the wizard of oz on her bicycle, only more brightly dressed. He peddled very, very fast when the wind blew.

It’s nice to see your comments again. I am so pleased you are back to blogging.

chen mingi February 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm

There once was a parrot named Jack,
Who rode with his buddy named Mack.
They dive into a gale,
Almost lost their tail
And now they’re back on track.

There once was a parrot named Jack,
Whose compass was a’whack.
He flew into a flat
Of a hungry cat
And now poor Jack’s a snack.

There once was a parrot named Jack,
Who slammed into the window – Smack!
His head took a spin,
Then he rose with a grin,
And now I’m happy he’s back.

There once was a parrot named Jack,
Who thought he was great in the sack.
He’d spout poetic mush,
And make the girls blush,
And they kept inviting him back.

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm

@ Chen — LOL Oh, you’ve got a career in making up limericks:~) I enjoyed all of these, but especially the second one…it suits my darker sense of humor:~)

Thanks for taking on this challenge….you made me laugh with each one!

jean sampson February 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Well, he is on his way to go bungee jumping, of course. He is not too scared because he can fly if he gets into trouble!
There once was a parrot named Jack
who flew with the wind at his back.
He wanted to talk
but made only a squawk!
He could never say more than “Ack! Ack!”

What wonderful silliness, Sara!

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm

@ Jean — GREAT!!! I guess a parrot wouldn’t be too afraid of bungee jumping, as long as the cord lets him go. I hate to think of it bouncing back…Sorry about that, my dark humor just couldn’t resist.

I’ve never been bungee jumping. It must be because I’m more of a chicken than a parrot:~)

Linda February 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Where is the parrot going? Why, Margaritaville of course! ;)
Linda´s last blog post ..Hold On

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm

@ Linda — Why, of course that’s where he’s going!

Kelvin Kao February 3, 2013 at 1:13 am

There once was a parrot named Jack who was always late. Well, that’s because because he always rode a bike instead of fly. Today, he rode his bike to the dock but realized that the ship had left without him, again. He decided to instead just go to a party.

Good for him, but there’s going to be a lonely pirate on that ship.
Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Looking Back At 2012

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

@ Kevin — LOL Poor pirate. He’ll just have to settle for a hummingbird. They have to stop someplace to catch their breath when they head to Mexico…why not a pirate’s shoulder?

Lynn February 4, 2013 at 6:15 am

This parrot is going to market to buy mangoes. Wish I was going with him. :)
Lynn´s last blog post ..Sleeping on the back porch, weekend recap and watching

Sara February 4, 2013 at 5:01 pm

@ Lynn — Yummy Mangos! He’s a smart parrot:~)

Jannie Funster February 4, 2013 at 11:57 am

I think he’s just pilfered some rum from the Captain’s larder and is off with a buddy to a beach party. He’s screeching over his shoulder to his cohort on the bike behind “Let’s scram, Louie, before the Big Guy wakes up.”

or something like that. :)

xoxoxo
Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..A Short Poem On Dancing

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:57 pm

@ Jannie — It does look like the BIG Guy might be coming faster than Jack expected. He peddles really FAST when the wind blows:~)

Thanks for playing the challenge. I always like it when you stop by!

Jannie Funster February 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Oh, maybe a limerick too.

There once was a parrot name Jack
who carried some rum on his back
he drank a tad much
with cola and such
and then ate some pizza for snack.

xoxo
Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..A Short Poem On Dancing

Sara February 4, 2013 at 4:59 pm

@ Jannie — I like this one! Rum and cola used to be my favorite drink ages ago…but then, like Jack, I had a “tad much” and I haven’t any since then:~)

patricia February 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Oh that Jack! he is a wonderful colorful soul and I love his bike. We saw lots of bikes decorated with flowers in UK on our trip…I tried to take a number of pictures.

My eyes are still a weepy mess and the headache is come back full bore…so I will just say that our second car has always been bicycles and our garage is quite full, but in 35 years of marriage we have always had a bicycle or two in the living room…The BikingArchitect is training now for the July Seattle to Portland ride :)
What a neat treat Thank you for sharing

I will go check out Carrie’s site now
patricia´s last blog post ..14,000 things to be happy about ~Barbara Ann Kipfer

Sara February 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm

@ Patricia — I miss biking. I haven’t done it in ages. I appreciate you checking out Carrie’s site and so will she:~)