Story Photo: Fossils in Wood

Those of you who visit my site frequently know I have a strange fascination for trees and wood.

I see things in them, like ancient fossils trapped inside the wood for years and years.

Your Challenge

What fossil(s) do you see in this piece of wood?

Give a brief description and name for what you see.

Extra Credit Challenge

Tell about how the fossil(s) got inside the wood. Word limit: 100 words.

Final Words

You know the drill; you heard it before….

Be creative, have fun and enjoy!

18 comments to Story Photo: Fossils in Wood

I see an alligator with a friendly eye!
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Sleeping on the back porch, weekend recap and watching

Hi Sara .. I see a croc – depends which side of the world you’re on?! But then I see a kingfisher ready to pounce … or a dreamer from another world … a transitional fossil waiting to be found, acknowledged … written about, archived, shown in an exhibiton so that future generations can see the primitive state of the creature we know today … then we will be more aware of how life evolved.

The piece of wood is wonderful and am so pleased you posted the picture ..

Cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Big Freeze 1962/63: part 3 – fun stories, silly outcomes, housing stock and floods …

@ Hilary — thank you. I liked the picture, too. Your answers are lovely–so diverse. I especially liked the “a dreamer from another world.”

Thanks for seeing so much in this piece of wood:~)

3. jean sampson says:

Well it most certainly is a prehistoric hummingbird! But I can see the alligator also. It is so funny what different things we all can see if given a few hints. I think it is the left side of the brain trying to find a way to help us make sense of the world and to put something into one of the categories that is has designed for us to make us not have to confront everything as something brand new and fascinating (and totally unknown), like the right side of the brain does! Hope that makes a little sense! :)

@ Jean — I saw the hummingbird, but the other one was a seal for me. It is amazing how the brain translates what we see in objects. I get teased because I often see things in objects…but not ghosts:~)

Yes, you make perfect sense to me!

4. Alien Ghost says:

I see a baby roadrunner-alligator trying to escape from his mother to go to play, while she sleeps behind him. Are these poor creatures behind bars?

Raul
    Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..Aspie World 1 – Perceiving the World

@ Alien Ghost — This is why I have so much fun with these challenges. I didn’t see an alligator at all, but lots of the comments have mentioned one. I like that your alligator is trying to escape his mother to go play.

The bars you see are actually sunshine shadows. I couldn’t figure out to get rid of them without getting rid of the picture and so, they stayed:~)

Another interesting photo to challenge is with. I see a big shark (facing left) with something, possibly akin to Alien Ghost’s baby roadrunner alligator, stuck in his mouth.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Raven Haven

@ Linda — A new animal, other than an alligator. I can see the shark, but I feel sorry for Alien Ghost’s baby roadrunner alligator. Hopefully, the mother alligator will wake up and take her baby back from the shark. In fossil history, of course:~)

Neat shot, Sara. I see a bird…a wingless variety that couldn’t get away when the situation became dire. Trapped now, but still the bird seems content.
    Talon´s last blog post ..Say Nothing

@ Talon — That’s an interesting take on the picture. I can see the “wingless” part and it does seem true that bird fossil isn’t unhappy.

7. Chris Edgar says:

I don’t personally see a fossil (I’m not sure I have the strongest recollection of what fossils look like) but I do see some sort of seabird — perhaps an albatross. I’ll make a token effort to comply with the rules of the challenge by calling it a cretaceous albatross.
    Chris Edgar´s last blog post ..New Steve’s Quest Screenshots

@ Chris — You don’t have to see a fossil, but seeing an albatross is kind of cool. I had look up albatross because I didn’t know what it looked like. According to Wikipedia, “Of the 21 species of albatrosses recognised by the IUCN, 19 are threatened with extinction.” That’s kind of scary, isn’t it?

Good name: cretaceous albatross

8. patricia says:

Ok Sara I will attempt to comply, and I do see Hilary’s croc and bird and also the hummingbird….And I think they got dehydrated and the wood grew around them.

This picture made me think of my medical intuitive session where she said I was extremely sensitive on all levels and all of my meridians were WOOD. I do not understand this wood concept and have not really studied it but I do have a great fondness for trees and I loved the smell of the western cedar as it was taken down…
    Always fun found here….I missed the parrot will need to go back – the colors draw me in
    patricia´s last blog post ..14,000 things to be happy about ~Barbara Ann Kipfer

@ Patricia — That’s interesting about your meridians being wood. It’s such a interesting part of nature — very strong, but able to bend in the wind. Even after wood dies, it still provides food and shelter. I think you should be honored to have wood as your meridians. Then again, maybe I should asked you first what “meridians” are:~)

I must have wood in my meridians as I love it — all kinds…trees, timber, dead wood. For some reason, I find it fascinating.

Thanks for stopping by!

9. Valerie says:

Sara,
    Clearly, Jack the parrot rode his bike into a fence…
    ;)