Story Photo: Friend or Foe

While walking in the woods, I came across these ferns. I got uneasy because they moved as if to hide someone or something.

An uncertain shiver ran up my spine. I called out, “Who’s there?”

There was no answer, just the rustling of dried leaves.

I mustered my courage and called, “Are you friend or foe?”

The Photo Challenge

Answer one, two or all of these questions:

1) Who or what is hiding amongst the ferns?

2) What will it say to me?

3) Briefly describe it.

Extra Credit Challenge

Write out a short dialogue between me and whoever or whatever is hiding in the ferns. You can continue the dialogue I started. If you do this, just copy the last line and add your own finish.

Quickie Question

Answer the question: “Are you friend or foe?”

27 comments to Story Photo: Friend or Foe

I smiled reading this, Sara. Invariably, when I’m out in the garden in the summer when the ground cover is thick, I go through the same thing. And it’s generally Stripey – who loves to hide in there and spring out unexpectedly. Once, though, it as a chipmunk and he was as startled as me when I dared to peek neath the ferns :)
    Talon´s last blog post ..Hibernation

@ Talon — Cats are so funny about hiding and watching us, aren’t they. While my cat is an inside cat, I put a small table in our living room and covered it. She loves to go inside, like its a den…what’s funny is the cover doesn’t quite reach the floor and so you see Aggie’s white paws.

I like that about the chipmunk. LOL

2. Alien Ghost says:

It was you behind the ferns! In the near future you will have an “out of the body experience” and will find yourself floating by the woods, where you’ll see yourself walking by the trail. Then you’ll know what you heard behind the ferns at that time was you in the future. Think of it; isn’t your walk already in your past? LOL

Raul
    Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..The Lost Observer

@ Alien Ghost — Oh, this a mind-bending comment. You’re making me have to think:~) I think I said to my past self, “Are you friend or foe?”

Thanks for doing the challenge. Your answers are always thoughtful!

It’s a friend. A little kitty. ;-)
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Satori In Mid-Air

4. Liza says:

1) Who or what is hiding amongst the ferns?
    Perhaps it’s nothing, and it is merely the stalk of the tree said ferns wish to hide and protect. So many threats against nature and the environment have been made and going on, so what else could it possibly do?

2) What will it say to me?
    I think the trees are a bit too afraid to speak.

P.S. I like your creativity with this. :)
    Liza´s last blog post ..Accomplishments

@ Liza — Thanks about the creativity. BTW I like what you’re doing at your site. I noticed it’s under renovation again. I really liked the site you’re opening. I think it’s called Abuse Talks? Stop by if you get this comment and leave a link for people so they can see just how creative YOU are:~)

I think it’s a friend. :) Probably a stalking cat or a chipmunk.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Rain delay, it wasn’t just me and great dessert

@ Lynn — You and Talon think alike…I like the chipmunk..not too big to terrify, cute enough to bring a smile and quick enough to escape the stalking cat!

6. Hi my friend! Great prompt…fear itself is behind there. But, I think if we meet it head on, we can be in it, embrace it and convert it into something healthy. xxO
    Gerri Smalley´s last blog post ..Family Vacation

@ Gerri — That’s a great answer. Are you back? I’ll come visit next week. I’m just so pleased at how happy you seem. Your site grows leaps and bounds, as do you. I’ll still in awe of your photography:~)

7. Why, it’s the squirrel who’s been secretly in love with your for so long, of course! He waits for you to jog by daily. Today he is getting up the courage to say hi and ask you out.

His name is Timmy Torantino. He’s short, gray and handsome.

The conversation between the two of you can only be imagined. :)

xooxoxxoxo

P.S. I seem to be enjoying a bit of a blog-posting hiatus of late, just popping in because I’ve been thinking of you and want to say hi. Our eBa biz. has required a lot more time lately, so that’s where I’ve been a lot. Did manage to get into the recording studio for a night last week, and going in again the middle of April! “petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.” :) how’s your French? :)

xooxxo again.

and oxox frum blue bunny.
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..10 Photos You Can Comment On, If You So Desire

@ Jannie — What a clever and fun response. All I can say about the conversation is Tommy likes to chatter a lot:~) You remember how much I enjoy the antics of squirrels. Maybe, Tommy is the squirrel that climbs my screen on my porch.

I noticed you’re on the blog hiatus. I stopped by as I usually do on my weekly visits, but hey, life requires breaks every now and then. Good for you about the recording studio.

Regarding the French, my own is terrible, but thanks to Google, I understand…”little by little, the bird builds its nest.” I’m looking for to seeing (hearing) the final nest:~)

8. that’s eba, my version of eBay! :)

xoxo

9. chen mingi says:

Friend or Foe?
    “It’s just the wind.” I reassured myself. The ferns moved again ever so slightly.
    An uncertain shiver ran up my spine. I called out, “Who’s there?”
    There was no answer, just the rustling of dried leaves.
    I mustered my courage and called, “Are you friend or foe?”
    Still, no answer.
    So, I sat.
    At first, I could only hear my own breath and the lub lub lub of my own heart. At least, I thought it was my own heart. It seemed faster than usual, and so I sat and returned to hearing my breathing. I noticed my breathing calming, and then my heart coming back to normal.
    Again, the dry leaves rustled, and my breathing and heart quickened.
    I could feel the sun’s warmth on my head just as I could see it on the fern’s brilliantly green leaves.
    I could also feel where the dark shadows beneath the fern’s lit leaves mirrored my own hidden spaces. The ferns before me were as if they were me, and that we were one in the same.
    Where they were revealed, so was I. Where they were hiding, so was I.
    So, I sat.
    It came to me that my fears were everywhere there wasn’t light. Like so many monsters in my closet, which when lighted, dissolve into an absurd nothingness, the deep green shadows evaporated into being simply my imagination.
    Lurking beneath the ferns was nothing and everything.
    All this pulled me toward the light and it’s joyful and freeing feeling of safety and knowing.
    So, I sat.
    I then started to gravitate toward the dark and fearsome, seeing that in fact, it’s also a place of aliveness not to be avoided. It came to me that the dark and light are one in the same, so really there isn’t any friend of foe.

Then, a tiger jumped out from beneath the fern and bit my leg off, and raced back into the ferns with it. After I was done screaming and wailing, I realized I’ve been going to too many workshops and need to come back to the true present, not some guru’s woo woo vision.

So, I sat.

@ Chen Mingi — I loved this. At first, I was like “man, he’s going into all sorts of deep stuff….” and then I got to the end. LOL

This was well done and an interesting (and fun ) read! Thanks so much for participating in these challenges.

Friend. It’s a cute little armadillo that you woke up from his nap. What’s he saying? “Keep it down out there, will ya!”
    Linda´s last blog post ..Eli and the Redhead

@ Linda — An armadillo is a likely culprit. I have enough of them in my yard. They are strange little ancient creatures, aren’t they?

11. jean sampson says:

Why it is a little Alien from another galaxy. She has come to borrow a cup of sugar so she can make some cookies——they don’t have sugar on her planet but somehow she got possession of a Julia Childs cookbook and decided she just HAD to make sugar cookies! She is going to make them in the shape of cute little humans—and she is going to bite the heads off of them first and then eat ALL the rest of them! Oh! She wants to borrow some sprinkles from you, too! You would be smart to give them to her! :)

Well, that brought the weirdness out in me, didn’t it???

@ Jean — Oh, you do make me laugh. I laughed so hard, Aggie woke up. She’s not very pleased with you, right now. Of course, I blamed you.

I love that the alien chef makes the cookies into “cute little humans” and then bites their heads off. Yes, I should give her the sprinkles.

Oh, please be weird more often:~)

12. Hi Sara — Your comment at OneMansWonder brought me here — thank you!
    I love your format of showing an image and asking your readers to be observant and imaginative about what they see/sense.
    I’ve subscribed and look forward to checking in now and then.
    Good job, my new friend!
    Jeffrey Willius´s last blog post ..HOW TO BE IN THE MOMENT – 101 Tips

13. Sara – I just popped in and loved the picture and story follow through – the Raul has to go and make me think again!!!
    What great comments and stories you are receiving.

Thank you for the good comments on Jeffrey’s book – it is just delicious.

This cue reminded me of one day I had a sleeping baby strapped on the body and thought I would do a wee bit of weeding in the garden…and yes I thought I saw something move on the neighbor’s side of the hedge. A minute or two later a huge orange cat came out on my side behind me and bit me in the thigh – Will sleeping baby on board who I did not want to wake up – I held my OUCH inside and grabbed the cat by the scruff of the neck and tossed it into the hedge row….not very kindly. I ended up with 7 stitches and shots…

We never found out who owned the cat but is wandered near our house for about 7 years until we moved – we never fed it except for a chunk of thigh!
    We all felt watched!
    Patricia of Patricias Wisdom´s last blog post ..Under the Wild Ginger: A Simple Guide to the Wisdom of Wonder ~Jeffery D. Willius

@ Patricia — Wow. That was a mean cat! At least he didn’t meow and wake of the sleeping baby, but having to get stitches and shot…YUCK.

Thanks for stopping by. I really did enjoy your review of Under the Wild Ginger and Jeffery seems very nice…he also has a wonderful site.