The Tale of Lazy Sam

by Sara on March 21, 2013

Sam hadn’t moved in hours. I touched him with my foot to see if he was still alive. He opened his eyes, blinked at me, and shut them again. He was stretched out in the plaid chair under the window. The sunlight through the blinds created shadows on his small body.

Archie, the bunny lay under the chair. His beady eyes stared out at me. Sam hadn’t touched him in days. A jolt of worry crossed my mind, but I ignored it. I was good at that.

Billy came home from work and asked, “What’s wrong with Sam?”

I shrugged and continued nuking our dinners. Sam wandered in and Billy picked him, holding him up to his shoulder. It wasn’t long before we both heard snoring.

“Maybe it’s time to take him to the doctor.” Billy motioned to Sam with his head, concern flickering in his brown eyes.

I shook my head. “Nah, he’ll be fine. He’s just lazy.”

The next day, I found Sam sleeping in the tub. Now, this concerned me. I don’t like taking a bath after Sam’s been in tub. His hair gets all over the place. It was time to do something. I figured it was all Archie’s fault.

I dragged Archie out from under the chair. He squealed as I held him. We drove to the store.

Once inside, I said, “Archie isn’t working anymore. I need to get rid of him.”

The man at the counter said, “No, you don’t. I can fix him up just fine.”

Archie squealed even louder as the man took hold of him and disappeared behind the curtains. After about ten minutes, the man came back.

He smiled at me and said, “I put some stuff in Archie’s tummy. As he handed the bunny back to me, I noticed he was fatter.

When I paid, the man said, “Sam will be happy now.”

“I hope so. I’ve been tempted to trade him in for a more active one.”

The man eyes widened. “Don’t do that. Sam’s a good boy. The bunny will get him moving again.”

I smiled and said, “He’d better. See you next time.”

“I hope so.” The man gave me a worried look as I turned and walked out the door,

At home, Sam had moved from the tub back to the chair under the window. This time he didn’t even bother to open his eyes when I walked in.

He was lying on his back, fat and content. I pulled out Archie, squeezing him so he’d squeal and gave him a shake or two.

Sam’s nose twitched. Then it twitched again. His eyes popped open. He rolled over, stood and stretched. He got off the chair, stared at me and waited.

I didn’t disappoint him. I tossed Archie high into the air. His bunny ears flopped around. Sam caught him midair with his nails.

He brought him down and rolled on the floor, kicking that poor bunny with his back feet over and over again. After a few minutes, he picked up Archie in his mouth and dashed around the house. Six hours later, Sam was still playing.

Billy came home, popped the top off of a beer and said, “That’s the craziest cat I know, but he sure does love his catnip toy.”

We watched as Sam sniffed Archie while holding the orange bunny tightly in his paws. I swear that cat smiled.

This isn’t Sam. It’s Aggie, but that was her catnip orange toy bunny or maybe it was supposed to be a mouse with very long ears. She loved it either way.

Unfortunately, Orange Bunny-Mouse met its demise when a little dog of a friend found it. All we found was a few pieces of orange cloth and a bunch of stuffing:~)

Aggie now has a yellow banana with catnip in it. It’s one of her favorite toys.

{ 24 comments… read them below or add one }

Alien Ghost March 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Perhaps I’ve read too many sci-fi stories, or maybe I don’t get it easily, but while going through the story I was trying to figure out if Sam was a sort of robot kid in the future, and what kind of cybernetic creature was Archie. (LOL) I didn’t go all the way to the bottom and see the picture until I finished reading, so didn’t have a hint.

I love how you can guide the reader to one idea, to then show it is something completely different. One never knows where the story will end with your writing style. Awesome!

Raul
Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..Adler Typewriter

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm

@ Raul — Actually, that might have been a better story. You should write it. Yes, my writing style is different.

Thank you for the reading the story and your very nice comments:~)

Kelvin Kao March 22, 2013 at 1:11 am

For a good chunk of the story, I was thinking Sam is a human baby and Archie is a real bunny. And then I went back and started over from the top before I got to the end. Like what Raul said, you sure can guide the reader to one idea and then show something completely different!
Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Harlem Shake

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm

@ Kelvin — Actually, that was the idea. I am glad, however, that you got it. I would be embarrassed if you thought I’d kill off a bunny for a kid.

Thanks for reading this story. You are very nice to do so:~)

jean sampson March 22, 2013 at 8:39 am

Oh, Lord, you had me going there for awhile, thinking something was really wrong with the kitty! And I was REALLY counting on your happy endings this time! Thank you, Sara, for a fun read (even though I WAS worried a little bit about the bunny AND the kitty!). I think I figured it out when the bunny was being tossed into the air. :) :)

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm

@ Jean — You should know me by now. I wouldn’t fool around with an animal story — they have to have happy ending. Plus, I could never hurt a bunny!

Hilary March 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hi Sara .. great story – Sam the cat knows his stuff – wait til them humans work out what’s needed … a good sleep in the meantime is ok by him.

Fun – cheers and happy weekend .. Hilary
Hilary´s last blog post ..Ice House Earth, Greenhouse Earth and those in-between times … our planet and its peoples … the female ancestral line … part 2/4

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hilary — That’s true of most cats. They do know how to nap:~)

Patty March 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Loved this, Sara! I’ve got my own version of Sam (Max) snoring next to me right now. I once read that cats sleep at least 18 hours a day but sometimes I think with mine it’s more like 22! Max’s version of Archie is this little tiny mouse that he goes crazy for. No name, though. Hmmm, now you’ve got me thinking…must come up with a name.
Patty´s last blog post ..tapping into the flow of self renewal

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm

@ Patty — Cats are funny about their toys; one usually is a favorite. Aggie now has the plastic stick with a long piece of multi-colored fleece material stuck to the stick…it’s so you swish it around and she chases it. BUT she also drags the thing around and it really difficult for her to carry. We find it odd places:~)

Thanks for sharing and reading the story.

Lynn March 23, 2013 at 6:13 am

I’m so relieved that Archie turned out to be a toy!
Lynn´s last blog post ..Coming alive, drive by and purpose in life

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

@ Lynn — Yes, I wouldn’t have done that to a real bunny:~)

Thanks for reading the story.

Liza March 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

This is a nice story. :) I like how you kept the audience guessing… I kept thinking it was a dog until the animal species was revealed! :p
Liza´s last blog post ..6 Sticks: Reasons I Didn’t Enter Your Giveaway

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

@ Liza — Thank you. It was fun to write:~)

Linda March 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Sara, good story, and like the others, you had me going for a while, wondering who was who and what was what. I was relived to find that it was a catnip mouse for a lazy cat. Two of our three love catnip, but Dood, the one who lived outside for years, just ignores it. Go figure.

Again, excellent writing.
Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

@ Linda — Dood probably has more sense; either that or he/she knows how much better the fresh stuff is from the dried stuff:~)

Talon March 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

It’s always a blast to watch the cats when they get some catnip. This was a purely fun read, Sara!
Talon´s last blog post ..Esoteric

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:47 pm

@ Talon — It is fun. I learned that cats know how NOT to overdose on catnip. They will stop playing with it when they get a bit woozy, unlike those of us who have a bit too much spiked punch or lemonade.

I’m really pleased you enjoyed that story. It was a little strange, but that’s me:~)

Chris Edgar March 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Yes, I was thinking some kind of major surgery had been performed on a pet or even on a child, and that the narrator had a sort of cavalier attitude about it, but the clarification at the end was definitely a relief.
Chris Edgar´s last blog post ..How I Got Less Crusty With Age

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

@ Chris — Good. You were supposed to feel as if the person in the didn’t seem to be too concerned and then to discover all it took was a dose of catnip:~)

Thanks for the visit!

Valerie March 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Sara, Fun story! It has your characteristic “twinkle in the eye” touch that I love in your writing! You had me going too!

When we first got Kona, we bought her a stuffed toy gingerbread boy that we named Mr. Plaid. Unfortunately, Kona got a little rough with him, and the local EMT’s couldn’t save him…RIP, Mr. Plaid.
Valerie´s last blog post ..Write at the Merge Week 13: We’ll Meet Again

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

@ Valerie — Dogs are tougher on their toys than cats. As I said in the post, Aggie’s favorite toy fell victim to a tiny dog — all we found was fluff and pieces of orange cloth.

Thanks for reading the story:~)

Ginny March 29, 2013 at 9:02 am

I am so glad that I was not alone in wondering if you were writing about a child. I know how kind you are so I knew I would be happy at the end but you definitely had me wondering and worrying for awhile. I went back and reread the story just for fun once I got to the end. Sara, you are such a talented writer. I love to read your stories.
Ginny´s last blog post ..Friday’s Special Moment of Gratitude

Sara April 2, 2013 at 3:34 pm

@ Ginny — And here I was afraid no one would THINK it was a child:~) Ah, the twists and turns of a story. Although, I must confess sometimes Aggie feels like a child. We have certain times of day when things are expected — like playtime.