Story Photo: What’s Around the Bend

by Sara on May 7, 2013

Where I live there are numerous canopy roads. I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ve never been able to get a decent picture of the roads because they are tree-lined, narrow and frequently in use. Consequently, there’s no safe place to pull over and take pictures.

Lynn, author of Good Things Happened, shows beautiful pictures of Atlanta and other areas around there on her site. She frequently takes “windshield pictures,” but is always careful to mention she’s stopped when she takes these pictures. It’s fun to see what Lynn “sees” in her world. When you visit her site, be sure to click on the pictures to see them enlarged. They are lovely:~)

I figured if she could do it, it was worth a try. I took this picture from my car. It wasn’t easy, but I was lucky this day. The road was clear, allowing me to slow down and snap the picture. I liked it.

What struck me about this picture is that I captured the “bend in the road” and, of course, this made me think of the following story photo challenge:

Imagine you’re driving this road and are about to go around the bend, what do you see?

Ideas to play with: (Pick one you like)

1)  Create a short conversation about what you see between you and a passenger in the car about what’s around the bend.

2)  Describe whatever is around the bend in as much detail as you can.

3)  Make up something crazy and wild; something that will make me laugh out loud.

Quickie Challenge

Tell me about a favorite road in your area. Why do you like it? What’s special about the road? How do you feel when you’re on the road, whether driving, a passenger or walking?

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Hilary May 8, 2013 at 3:10 am

Hi Sara .. if I was in the States I’d be making sure I was on the right side of the road …

Here in England … I’d have to go back many years when I had started driving and the roads were much quieter … the tiny Cornish lanes, with dry stone walls, tiny fields, bent trees, ferns, foxgloves, bright gorse, pale creamy primroses …

… but this time of year is wonderful – greening trees, daffodils fading, bluebells appearing, primroses too, blossoms on early trees – magnolias, cherry blossom, crab apples – preferably with the sun shining!

I have many memories of lovely journeys to Cornwall to the Lake District, to Northamptonshire – where banks of rhododendrons show their colours …

Then the roses in the gardens start … along with England’s beautiful garden scenes …

Love this time of year – the chestnuts with their candelabra flowers – deep pink, pale pink, mostly white ..

Cheers for now – oh yes and Lynn does post some wonderful photos .. Hilary
Hilary´s last blog post ..Brain Pickings, Roger Ebert, RIP … blogging … A- Zers something to reflect over and the ‘what now’ …

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm

@ Hilary — Your comment brings back memories for me of my few trips into the English countryside — the absolutely amazing roses, so full and many so ancient (meaning going back generations of roses). I wasn’t quite as fond of the hedges. We had some scary goes when meeting farm equipment on the narrow roads between the giant hedges. WHOA NELLY:~)

Oh, thanks for your comment and BTW you did a wonderful job with your A-Z challenge.

Kelvin Kao May 8, 2013 at 5:00 am

I think behind this curve, there’s going to be a beautiful waterfall hidden behind all the trees. The road actually ends with destination: nature. :-)
Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Marionette Workshop (Intermediate): Weeks 1, 2

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm

@ Kelvin — OH, I like this comment. In some places the canopy do just that — end up nature:~)

jean sampson May 8, 2013 at 7:31 am

Well, Sara, before you said you wanted to LOL, I thought there might be a bear with her little cub, but that wouldn’t really make you laugh. So the next picture that popped up in my head was the picture of a giant clown (probably one of those Stephen King aliens) whose mouth was as big as the entire scene and he was lying down on the road on his belly with his huge mouth open, waiting to eat unsuspecting travelers! Of course he had put a little Spanish moss on his teeth and over his big red nose to disguise them. Well, you DID ask for it, didn’t you, Sara? :) :)

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm

@ Jean — Guess what…you succeeded in making me laugh. I could picture the giant clown and the unsuspecting car as well the disguised nose via Spanish moss. You are clever and I did ask for it:~)

Ken Winker May 8, 2013 at 8:23 am

Sara……What I see around the bend in the road is many years of “retirement” for me as I just finished my last legislative session. Lots of time to play and hear more music, to travel many straight and curvey roads and no roads at all. Visit and laugh with family from Seattle, to Tyler. TX., to Wisconsin. And, enjoy good times with friends. That’s what I see around the bend in the road………Ken

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm

@ Ken — Congratulations!!! I bet you’re going to love having time to really absorb yourself into music again. I can’t wait to learn more about your plans. Send me an email sometime. You can find my email address via my contact box:~)

I love what you see around the bend!

Valerie May 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Sara, What’s around the bend is….

ME!!!!

Taking a picture of what’s around the bend;)
Valerie´s last blog post ..H2O

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

@ Valerie — That’s a good one. You would enjoy these roads. They have such a wonderful history. Sometimes I drive them, I imagine they are once again the dirt/clay roads and I’m in an open wagon watching the sun peek out through the leaves of the road:~)

Thanks for your visit!

Alien Ghost May 9, 2013 at 2:56 am

What’s around the bend? Nothing; the road after the bend doesn’t exist. The road ends at the beginning of the bend. What I see is a two D image that has no depth, so nothing beyond the first image can exist.

From that point of view, and since you are not providing us with a picture after the bend, we can safely assume that what’s at the other side of the bend should be…The Twilight Zone!

Raul
Alien Ghost´s last blog post ..Life is Math

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:48 pm

@ Alien Ghost — And here’s the music to go with your comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk

I used to love Twilight Zone. It really scared me, but I still loved it. My favorite episode was the one where the people end up in the town and no one else is there. They search and search only to discover they’re like mice in a glass case for some giant kid.

The other most scary movie for me was “Children of the Damned.” I think it was later called “Children of the Corn” or something like that. I saw it at a drive-in theater and spend my time on the floor board of the car. The ending was absolutely terrifying!

Talon May 9, 2013 at 6:19 am

I drive a lot of unfamiliar roads in my area – always looking for interesting things to shoot so the lure of a curve in the road is always enough to get me trekking :)

A recent (true) conversation between me and my hubby when we were heading home after a trip to the hardware store:

me: “Why don’t we go across town and take that side road we spied a few weeks ago?”

him: “You mean the one with the creek?”

me: “No, the other one. The one with the trees.”

him: “Trees? Every road around here has trees.”

me: “Yes, but you remember…this one had the huge maple with the cracked limb…it was leaning down near the road…and we could spy a really neat stone wall…”

him: “Oh, yeah…okay. Let’s go.”

It was a pretty road with some neat old farms. I love exploring! :)
Talon´s last blog post ..Unfettered

Sara May 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

@ Talon — This a perfect conversation for a photographer and writer to have with her husband:~) There’s always the road or place your camera finger wants to go and where it goes, usually a poem or story follows, right?

I must admit, JC and I’ve had similar conversations about diverting to someplace for picture-taking and exploring.

Thanks for participating in this challenge AND for stopping by:~)

Patricia of Patricias Wisdom May 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm

we have several heavy canopy roadways with huge Evergreen trees and new starts – as we go into the mountain passes especially. When we come to a twist or bend in the road – most often all eyes are peeled to the roadway because there are deer and bears and stalled cars and tons of folks riding their bicycles.

The daredevil drivers and the tourists are the worst because they have never experienced rocks roaring down, or deer leaping out at you….and the dark of the road to bright sunlight and huge drop offs on one side and waterfalls…

If not prepare – you will come face to face with your fear suddenly…

I could feel this tension when I looked at your picture…I remember the beauty of the flat roads and curves –

What great comments – Thank you all for the good Friday afternoon read :)
Patricia of Patricias Wisdom´s last blog post ..A DUAL INHERITANCE ~Joanna Hershon

Ginny May 11, 2013 at 7:59 am

My favorite road is the road that leads home. Every time I drive down it, I think I am so lucky to live here. This is a perfect time of year for me. It’s warm but not hot, everything is green, and the flowers are beautiful.

PS Sara I think you might find my 30 day self-imposed challenge fun. I am surprised at how much I am learning and how I enjoy what I am doing. I am trying really hard to paint all 30 days but if I miss a day (or two) that is ok too. Let me know if you do create a challenge of you own.

Thank you for suggesting a show. Just that someone would say that to me was incredible. You are still a coach you know. Have a wonderful weekend.
Ginny´s last blog post ..Friday’s Special Moment of Gratitude

Lynn May 11, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Sara – how lovely that you gave me a shout out! I have been away from the computer a lot in the last couple of days and am just now seeing this.

Of course it reminds me of those roads around where my sis lives in Monticello, Florida. I think you’d go around that bend a gator would be crossing! (That actually happened to her one day.) :)
Lynn´s last blog post ..Doing it anyway, happy surprise and a great lesson

Patty/Living Deep Studio May 12, 2013 at 1:28 am

Gorgeous! I want to go there, because around the bend is an adventure waiting to happen.
Patty/Living Deep Studio´s last blog post ..my grandmother’s hands

Linda May 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm

We are in wine country, and this is the bend in the road that leads to a steep hill that ends in a sharp curve and it looks like you are just going out into someone’s small farm. As with restaurants, sometimes the hole in the wall places offer the most pleasant surprises.

That is what we found around the bend. Cheers!
Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

pea May 18, 2013 at 5:49 am

I’ll come back to this challenge if I have time as we’re all banned from commenting on the post after it! :)

But wanted to say, my you have an eye for a pic! I have noticed this for a while, (think I even mentioned it before). I expect them to be credited to other folk and yet there it is, copyright Sara B Healy.

The clarity, composition, evocative allure (did I just say that?) and mystery of this image is really spot on.
Impressed.
pea´s last blog post ..I Think You’re All Sh*t!

Gerri May 19, 2013 at 7:09 am

My roads have taken me on quite the life’s adventure as of late. Funny thing is when I get on the road, I set my GPS with a pre-determined destination. However, in this road of life there are unforeseen detours, curves, hills and bumps that lead you to where to need to go not necessarily where you want to go. Surrendering to the roads of life…
Gerri´s last blog post ..The Unexpected