Fun Photo Challenge

(click to enlarge)

Okay, this is a Long Tailed Skipper feeding at my Lantana plant during the summer…or is it?

Look closer at the back of the Skipper. It helps to click on the picture to see it larger. Study it with your eyes:~)

Photo Challenge

What do you see and describe it?

Quickie Challenges

Do you prefer butterflies or moths and why?

Which is the Long Tailed Skipper – a butterfly or a moth?

22 comments on “Fun Photo Challenge

1. Chris Edgar says:

The flower is actually a carnivorous Venus Flytrap-type killer plant that’s feeding on the bird? But seriously, it is hard for me to tell if it’s a butterfly or bird, but whatever it is, it’s certainly lusciously colored.
    Chris Edgar´s last blog post ..Un-Kinking The Hose Of Love

@ Chris — I agree it is lusciously colored. I had guessed it to be a moth, but it wasn’t. I thought the blue on its back looked like fur — interesting.

Thanks for playing:~)

2. Kelvin Kao says:

It does look like a bird. But I think it’s a butterfly because a bird would’ve put more weight on the flower.

Or maybe it’s a pig.
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Marionette Workshop (Advanced): Weeks 1, 2

@ Kelvin — A PIG???? You are so funny, but I like your logic about why its not a bird. You’re right it would be very hard for a bird to sit on one of the Lantana flowers.

How’s the puppetry going? I’ll be checking in to see how you’re doing in the workshop.

Thanks for stopping by:~)

Oh my – I’ve never seen anything like that butterfly. This makes me think of the Lantana that my mom had at the top of their driveway. I miss it.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..A rare sunny day, tunnel and train trestle

@ Lynn — It’s oddly not an unusual butterfly, but I’d never seen it before. I thought it was a moth and spent ages trying to find on moth sites. It turned up right away on the butterfly site.

The Lantana is a great plant. Not only are butterflies attracted to it, but so are hummingbirds. When it’s blooming, it has lots of visitors.

Thanks for the visit:~)

4. jean sampson says:

Well. I see a little plush lamb stuffed toy with angel wings. Maybe Lamb Chops got himself dyed blue for Halloween and then borrowed some wings so he could become a blue angel. Sara, I can never tell where my eyes are gonna take my mind when you put these things up for comment :)

@ Jean — I can always count on you to see something different! LOL I love the idea of Lamb Chops getting dyed blue and borrowing wings. Then again, we’re both old enough to remember Lamb Chops.

I’m going to leave my own comment about what I saw in the picture.

I hope all is well with you and thanks very much for the visit:~)

Hi Sara .. I must say I’m rather ‘dull’ here – I literally see what you’ve described .. a long-tailed skipper butterfly … on a lantana plant – lovely photo.

I’m not sure about butterflies or moths – butterflies tend to be prettier, but moths are quite extraordinary to look at …

Love the photo .. and the little leafroller on your Lantana .. cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Grant Museum of Zoology … Creepy Crawlies, Slippery Slitheries, cabinets of curiosities and odd oddities …

@ Hilary — You are never “dull.” At least you can see what it actually is. He’s a pretty butterfly, isn’t he. Although as I said to someone else, I thought he was a moth and searched for him on moth sites…only to discover his true identity.

As always, I love it when you visit, Hilary…cheers back at you:~)

I like butterflies, but moths can be extremely beautiful…and oh so very delicate. That is one cool pic, Sara, and the color is absolutely amazing!
    Talon´s last blog post ..Snippets from a Summer Journal

@ Talon — Well, this guy is butterfly and I thought he was very different. It looks like he’s got blue-green hair on his back. On this Lantana plant, which seemed to bloom almost all summer, I had tons of butterflies, an assortment of other flying bugs and hummingbirds.

Thanks for the visit. I’ve really enjoyed your writing lately and the photography. The picture of the swan was so great. I could see his or her pride in the eye. Talon, though I know the name comes more from you love of certain birds, it would be noted it could for “talented.” You amaze me with your many talents:~)

At first I thought it was some type of hummingbird. It is gorgeous and looks like he stole his colors from a peacock.

Hope all is well with you.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

@ Linda — That’s a good point. It does look like he stole from a peacock and his back does like feathers or, as I thought, fur.

I’m doing okay. I’ll be glad when this summer is over.

As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts:~)

8. Liz says:

I see a moth… Its furry body gives the impression that it is a moth, but its wings give the impression that it is a butterfly since they’re more full in shape and size.
    Liz´s last blog post ..The ABCs of You Know Me

@ Liz — I struggled with this. I also thought it was a moth, but it’s actually a butterfly.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts:~)

9. Gerri says:

Whoa, what a cool image!!

10. Sara,
    When I enlarged it I saw Snufflufigas from Sesame Street with wings….that it is the full truth…

it is a great picture and what color – a butterfly? yep, I can see it now :)
    Patricia of Patricias Wisdom´s last blog post ..THE LADY’S MAID: A Novel ~Dilly Court

11. Ginny says:

I did think it was a beautiful butterfly. I love to watch the butterflies land on the flowers on my porch. There is something so magical about them.

You take the most beautiful pictures.
    Ginny´s last blog post ..Wednesday’s Walk – Act Like A Beginner

@ Ginny — I love to watch how the butterflies slowly move their wings to and fro as they feed. It does make it a challenge to capture them in a photo, but it’s usually worth it:~)