Beach Trash: Who is This Creature!

One year at the beach, I decided to take pictures of beach trash. I took tons of pictures, most of them simply “trashy,” but a few of them had personality, like this one.

When I look at this picture, I see a little creature from someplace far away and I’m curious about how it ended up at the beach.

Story Photo Challenge One

Your Story Photo Challenge today is to help me out by answering the following questions:

1. What’s this creature called?
  2. Where did it come from?
  3. How did it end up in the sand?

Don’t like these questions? Make up your own, but be sure to include them in your comment.

Story Photo Challenge Two

Write a brief dialogue between the creature and yourself.

26 comments on “Beach Trash: Who is This Creature!

1. pea says:

1. Samson.

2. Planet Luna.

3. Well, now you see this was as a result of being somewhat of a dandy as far as dress code was concerned. His job was to guard the palace of King Ulechwalwalabzuss of Planet Luna, very similar to the Queens Grenadier Guard posted outside St James Places in Planet London.

As you can see the uniform – or certainly the head gear was not dissimilar. Well Samson would mess about with his uniform and edit the official dress code wearing kilts sometimes, heels, makeup and jewellery. Quite simply, one day when he was admiring himself in the mirror and twirling, some of the beefier guards (who never quite liked Samson anyway), got together and hurled him off his planet. He landed in the earth’s sea somewhere in the US and was washed up some days later where you found him.

It’s sad, but these things happen.
    pea´s last blog post ..Simple Stories: The Donkey

@ pea — Oh, I do love it when people actually play the game:~) This was wonderful. I loved the closing line, “It’s sad, but these things happen.” LOL

You have such a great imagination, pea!

Hi Sara … oh rag doll why did you leave me – you should have stayed I’d have protected you …

Beautiful photo – can quite see why you could read so much into this …

Cheers – Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Stories on glass…

@ Hilary — It does a bit like an odd rag doll, doesn’t it. Good call.

You never know about the things you find at the beach. I have some really odd pictures when I was doing my beach trash shots.

Cheers back at you:~)

3. jean sampson says:

One day, Yosemite Sam got hold of some bad moonshine and the next morning he found himself washed up on a beach somewhere far away from his home. He was covered with sand and seaweed and was not quite sure how this all happened to him, being a fierce fellow and all. After he finally figured out who he was and where he belonged, he decided to hitch hike back to the park far away from where he had washed up. Well, the only creature who would have anything to do with him (so much for fame) was a moth-eaten beach bear who was going to see his cousin in Yosemite and said that Sam could hitch a ride on him. So, as far as I know, Sam got home safely and from now on, will stay away from any kind of home made corn squeezin’s. And I do hope he got the sand out of his red hair!

@ jean — LOL This is so much fun. I love the comparison to Yosemite Sam. This little guy does kind of look like him. As I said to pea, comments like yours make it fun to put these pictures. You really made me laugh…I love the moth eaten bear. AND I’m glad Yosemite Sam will stay away the moonshine.

Thanks for taking on this challenge:~)

4. Valerie says:

Sara, His professional name is “Ichabod Octopod It” and I believe he’s often seen as an extra in some of those Gidget beach films. (Being Sandra Dee’s cousin helped him get the parts.)

He obviously got so tired of trying to master the art of surfing that eventually he fell of of his surf board and washed ashore. He’ll be just fine after a good nap;)
    Valerie´s last blog post ..Life Blood

@ Valerie — You have me with the name:~) That’s fun to say aloud. Then you added the Gidget beach films, which I remember well. LOL about Sandra Dee’s cousin. I’m pleased he’ll be fine after his nap.

Oh, thanks for playing this challenge:~)

The straw octopus. He was always torn between ocean and land…too long in one, he was a limp mess…too long on the other, he dried out.

One day, exhausted by the constant in and out of the tide, he ventured too far inland and dried out completely. Now he is left as food for the gulls…poor dear.
    Talon´s last blog post ..The Soothsayer

@ Talon — LOL this seems to be my favorite comment today. Everyone is so creative in their comments. I love the idea of a straw octopus — not happy in either element. Poor dear, indeed!

I always love your take on these challenges:~)

6. Scarecrow all danced out!

Nice picture – oh I could use a little beach time right about NOW….thanks for this sharing made me just smile ear to ear and I love the comments too
    Patricia of Patricias Wisdom´s last blog post ..SONGS OF WILLOW FROST ~Jamie Ford

@ Patricia — I like your response:~) I agree it is fun to see how creative people can be. The creative comments always make me smile.

Little creature
    To earth did fall
    It know no one
    No none at all
    On the beach
    It did land
    Then was stepped on
    And killed man

• desk49 says:

Sorry lost part in the reply

Little space creature
      To earth did fall
      It know no one
      No none at all
      On the beach
      It did land
      Then was stepped on
      And killed by man
      It’s heart was dried
      By our yellow sun
      It came to earth
      To save everyone

@ Ellis — Okay, this was better. First of all, I love that you’re writing again and second this poem is great. It reads out loud very well. Typical humans. We don’t see our own heroes:~)

@ Ellis — YEAH and visit and a poem. I’m so excited. Not the happiest of poems, but perhaps there’s a lesson there about stepping things smaller than we are:~)

It reminds me of one of the Muppets. 🙂

9. It’s called a Urchapus, half urchin, half octopus.

It came from WalMart.

It was tossed on the sand by a band of merry minstrels who’d just been to an all-night Real Estate crash course.

Our dialogue went like this…

Me: Hey watch what you’re putting those things.
    It: That’s what she kept saying.
    Me: Not funny.
    It: Is too.
    Me: Is not.
    It: Is too.
    Me:Is not.
    It:Is too.
    Me: Okay. maybe just a little funny. but not to me, with 3 of your unruly spikes now in my bare foot.
    It: Sorry, ’bout that.
    Me: It’s okay, I got them all out. Coulda been worse.
    It: My name is Milton.
    Me: My name is Jannie Funster and I have to go home and eat some pie now, but thanks for the memories.
    It: anytime!!

xoxoxo to Sara.
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..In My China Shop

@ Jannie — WALMART…that won me over right there:~) I like the dialogue very much, especially the back and forth.

Thanks for the visit, Jannie.

Late to the party on this one. I see the appeal in this bit of beach “trash”, and actually had an idea the other day but it escapes me now. We do find some interesting sights along the beach. I guess it kind of reminds me of the raggedy Ann and Andy dolls…in a weird sort of way.
    Linda´s last blog post ..The Rose Garden: The Next Generation

11. Gerri says:

Is it “Animal” from the muppets? You find and make the coolest photos. Thanks for the fun. Also, thank you so much for your encouraging words… xxO
    Gerri´s last blog post ..A New Season