SPC: the woman in the tree

the-woman-in-the-tree_480

Who is this woman with her face of blue?
Was she a princess, pauper or a shrew?
How did she end up in the branches of a tree?
Why are her eyes closed so she is unable to see?

Who placed the purple scarf with sliver stitch?
Was she a loved one, lost friend or a witch?
How did she end up without a body to hold?
Why is her face covered in a dusting of gold?

This, my friend, is your story to tell.
I trust you to write it very well.

Story Photo Challenge

Here are your choices for this photo challenge:

1. Answer one or more of the questions posed above.
  2. Write a brief story/poem about this woman in the comment box (try to keep it to 150 words).
  3. If you have more to say, feel free to copy this picture and write about it at your blog. You can use any style of writing.  If you choose this challenge, drop me a comment with a link to your post.  There is no time limit on this choice…take the picture and write when you want.

24 comments to SPC: the woman in the tree

She lives in Detroit and froze to death waiting for public transportation!
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Love Song for Connie Corleone

2. Jean Sampson says:

Hahaha, that is so funny, JC and Fireblossom!

Well, I think that she is one of those unfortunate women who was so beautiful that she made a clan of ugly fairies angry with her beauty. Being EVIL ugly fairies, they put that same spell on her, when she was trying to climb a tree to get away from them. that they put on Sleeping Beauty. Now she has to wait for, not a prince, but a toad who was once a prince, to come and kiss her. Then she will wake up with the taste of toad in her mouth and a big wart on her nose ( so she won’t be so beautiful anymore) and be really pissed. And, because they were such evil ugly fairies, the poor toad will stay a toad and will have to eat bugs
    for the rest of his life. And that is the end of my twisted Fairy Tale about the woman in the tree.

@ Jean — LOL. Your stories to the photos are always so wonderful. I recently visited one my photo post that for some reason I didn’t leave replies. I think I was on vacation or something. But you left a comment which had the funniest story in it about spiders in a mailbox. I laughed and laughed as I read it. I REALLY regret not replying to tell you how wonderful the story was. You are a great story teller:~)

• Jean Sampson says:

Thanks, Sarah! Coming from you (a really wonderful story-teller), it means a LOT to me! I have always thought of myself as a poet, not a story-teller…..but I DO have a lot of fun with your photos :) And I remember writing about those spiders :) FUN!

@ Jean — Well, you’re now featured at my site — it’s the spider one. I read it and laugh every time:~)

• Jean Sampson says:

Thanks, Sara! I was so happy to get to read it again! I once had a cow skull in my living room as a part of the décor. One night I looked at that skull and from one horn to the other was woven a huge web which contained a kazillion baby spiders so I know what they look like! Needless to say, that cow skull went to live in the back yard prontito! :) It now has lived in my studio for 12 years and no more hatchlings! :) Thanks again, Sara!

@ Jean — That’s funny about the spiders in the skull:~) I am sorry I didn’t respond to your writing, but it was delight to read this time around:~)

I think she was a princess!

When he lost his love, Princess Radiant, in an accident, Prince Prudent ordered that a stone mask be made of her face before she was buried. He had the mask placed on the very tree beside which they shared their first kiss. No one knows why the mask is blue…but when Prince Prudent passed away (with his heart still broken), the mask suddenly changed color. Locals say that if you touch the mask under the light of a full moon, you will see the mask change into the face of the one you are meant to be with for all eternity.

Thanks, Sara! Awesome photo and cool challenge. I had fun with that. :)
    Talon´s last blog post ..Stained

@ Talon — I love this story:~) Both you and Jean shared great fairy tales with this picture. I really like the part where under a full moon, touching the picture makes the mask changes “into the one you’re meant to be with for all eternity.”

Hi Sara .. stunning photo .. extraordinary photo actually … I may well think of a story line as I spend the weekend in London .. I’ll have other things to do too!

She is definitely special .. cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Love has Wings …. by Madelaine Clay

6. Gerri says:

Wow, what a striking image… She makes me think that she’s wrapping herself in comfort with the purple fabric as she’s suspended in the branches of a tree. There are no leaves to comfort her, only the stark branches… She seems at peace with her state of being. :)
    I LOVE Fireblossom’s comment. hahaha…
    Gerri´s last blog post ..Life Lessons

@ Gerri — Thanks! BTW I LOVED the video in your post, Life Lessons. My husband, JC, saw it first and called me into his office to watch it. It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it:~)

7. Chris Edgar says:

And who came up with her scarf’s hieroglyphics?
    The detail inscribed with such loving specifics?
    What language adorns this superlative scarf?
    What culture produced it — what distant . . . uh, wharf?

8. Great picture and words here Sara – I don’t know her story but enjoyed meeting her through others words.

It reminds me of one day we arrived downtown for work and the city was full of salmon sculptures on posts and parking meter poles – about 50 of them and highly decorated or painted – about 3 feet long and a foot wide and dimensional. The one covered in pennies had already started to be picked at… Turned out it was a stunning project to protest Monsanto’s Frankenfish chemistry. 10 years later the sculptures are gone and the Frankenfish are contaminating our food source.
    Maybe she is an angel watching us destroy our planet in sad repose?
    Patricia of Patricias Wisdom´s last blog post ..BRADY NEEDS A NIGHTLIGHT ~Brian Barlics, Illustrations by Gregory Burgess Jones

@ Patricia — I do hope that’s the case about her being an “angel watching us destroy our planet.” If she is, I hope she will open her eyes and cast a spell to make US open our eyes to the damage we do.

Thanks for your comment!

I think she was once a beautiful princess who was cursed by an evil witch. She was in love with a prince from a neighboring land, and one for whom the witch had affections. When those affections were not returned and she realized she would never have his love, she cast a spell upon the princess ensuring that no man would ever look at her again.

A royal princess
    You may be
    But by these words
    You no longer see
    Your skin once
    of a rosy hue
    Is now an ugly
    Shade of blue
    Linda´s last blog post ..Ready or Not

@ Linda — LOL I liked this story and, I must confess, I did enjoy the curse. Hopefully, someone will break it for the blue lady:~)