Write on Edge Prompt: An Accidental Meeting

This week Write on Edge gave us a 500 word limit, based on the following quote and/or picture prompt:

WoE-Clock_480Image courtesy of Unsplash

“Time is the longest distance between two places.” ~Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie

Bradley glanced at the clock. If he didn’t hurry, he was going to be late picking up Kaylee for the company picnic. He smiled thinking about her long dark hair, flashing coffee-colored eyes and warm bronzed skin.

While she hardly noticed him, he had a crush on her. He couldn’t believe she agreed to go with him. It probably helped he told her he’d pick her up in a BMW Roadster. He just neglected to say it was his mom’s car.

Everything was fine until the turtle decided to cross the road. He swerved avoiding it. The BMW landed in a huge puddle. When he tried to restart the car, all he got was a grinding noise. Even worse, he’d forgotten his cell phone.

A buzzing sound approached on the road. It was the pink scooter Eloise Murphy always rode. While they were neighbors, he seldom saw her. She was always on her computer. The landlord said she was a blogger, whatever that was.

Bradley groaned as she stopped by his car. “You okay, Bradley?”

“Yes, my car stalled.”

Eloise parked, pulled off her helmet, and walked over. “Pop the hood. I’ll take a look.”

He found the lever and got out of the car. “You know about cars?”

“Sort of, a friend of mine has a car repair blog. He puts up YouTube videos. You’re in luck. His most recent was about starting cars stalled in water. Usually, the distributor cap needs drying.”

Eloise leaned over, looking under the hood. Bradley noticed how nice her butt looked in her tight jeans.

Minutes passed before she pulled something black out and announced, “This cap is wet.”

Seeing a grease spot on her face, Bradley wiped if off. Their eyes met. That’s when he noticed Eloise had pretty hazel eyes with sparks of green and yellow. After that, Bradley had a hard time concentrating with Eloise so close.

The cap was dried and returned, but the car still wouldn’t start. They stood looking at it until Eloise asked, “Where were you going?”

Bradley had totally forgotten the party and Kaylee. “I need to call someone, immediately. Do you have a phone?”

“Sure.” She pulled out her pink cell phone.

Punching in the number, Bradley barely spoke before Kaylee yelled, “Where are you? It’s two o’ clock. You’ve made me late, you jerk!”

“Kaylee I had an accident….”

She interrupted. “Well, that’s your problem isn’t it? I’m calling a cab.” With a click, she disconnected.

Sighing, Bradley handed Eloise her phone. “There goes my date!”

She gave him a sympathetic look. “I’m sorry, Bradley. You want a ride? I’ll treat you to a veggie burger at Bert’s place on the way home.”

With that sexy grin she loved, he said, “Looks like I’m a free man. Let’s go. You can tell me all about blogging.”

Feeling Bradley’s warm arm around her waist, Eloise smiled. It was good Bradley was preoccupied and didn’t notice they dried the cap for the washer fluid.

*     *     *     *     *

This post is dedicated to Linda who was afraid I would never write another happy ending story again :~)

30 comments to Write on Edge Prompt: An Accidental Meeting

Now that’s a happy ending with a twist. and Eloise is a sneaky little gal, isn’t she? When “their eyes met” Bradley’s crush on Kaylee faded fast. Then Kaylee revealed her true colors. All’s well that ends well. I really enjoyed this feel-good story, Sara.

Not all stories get to have a happy ending, but all your stories are good, happy ending or not.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Alligator’s Anonymous

@ Linda — This one was for you. It’s another of my little love stories, but I just disappoint anymore with all the dark tales of woe. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

BTW Your “mind” poem was superb. I was very impressed. It read so well out loud and was fun. Well done:~)

2. Gerri says:

Oh, The Glass Menagerie… What an amazing piece of work.

Sara, you have such a knack for choosing images to support your writing.

xxO :)
    Gerri´s last blog post ..Clarity of Vision

@ Gerri — This came image came with the prompt, but thank you. It was a light fluffy piece of writing, but it felt good.

Thanks for reading it.

3. Kelvin Kao says:

So where do I find an Eloise to seduce me?
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Merry Christmas! Deck the Halls!

@ Kelvin — Oops, I almost missed this one! LOL Are you really looking?

Thanks for reading the story. I always love your comments…they make me smile. So, when are we going to learn about your puppetry workshops. I do hope you are continuing them:~)

4. Morgan says:

Such fun! Way to go, Eloise, in taking advantage of an opportunity that literally landed at her feet. She wasn’t responsible for the puddle, was she?
    Morgan´s last blog post ..Eight O’Clock

@ Morgan — With Eloise, who knows? She might have watched a video about making puddles deep enough to stall a car:~)

Thanks for stopping by and reading this story. I appreciate it:~)

5. Patty says:

“she was a blogger, whatever that was.”…that cracked me up Sara! And yes, good ending!!!
    Patty´s last blog post ..make a deeper feelings mandala

@ Patty — I couldn’t resist making her a blogger:~) and, of course, Bradley would have no clue what that meant. Then again, neither did my hubby for ages and now he’s even considering starting a blog when he retires. It’s catchy:~)

I hope you’re doing well. I meant what I said about visiting your site. It’s always so calming and inspirational. I’m pleased you’re writing again.

6. Jean Sampson says:

Hey, Sara, this was just fun :) and, every once in awhile a happy ending is just fine. But, I love those surprise endings that are NOT happy, as well! Your writing is always interesting and engaging no matter what the ending! And how the heck did you even know about a distributor cap anyway? Did you make that stuff up? :) :)

@ Jean — As I said to others, FUN was my intent this week in writing. I said in another comment, but it okay to repeat this. Life is serious and tragic enough in reality; sometimes it’s nice to write a feel-good type of story.

Regarding the distributor cap, I was a good blogger and watched a YouTube video about a car stalled in water. It really was the distributor cap:~)

7. Atreyee says:

Ha!ha!Clever lil minx-this Eloise and anyway Bradley is much better off with her than that snotty Kaylee ;-) A fun read-loved it Sara:-)
    Atreyee´s last blog post ..What’s in the belfry?

@ Atreyee — Now, that’s great feedback for me “A fun read…” I’m so glad you liked the story. It’s light, but if it made you laugh, that’s exactly what I wanted this week:~)

Hi Sara .. always appreciate your thoughtful comments on my posts, especially the two recent ones.

Time – such a long or short distance depending on fate so often.

Bradley was lucky that puddle was there … and he knew Eloise reasonably well .. great story line and yes I do love a happy ending ..

Cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Ubuntu BlogHop

@ Hilary — Happy endings aren’t seen too often any more in our books or our movies. It seems the more disturbing the ending, the more popular the book/film. Personally, I think we need to smile at a story or laugh out loud from it:~)

Your posts have been wonderful lately. I really loved that video. I can still the picture of the elephant. What an amazing story and I loved how he brought everything back together. I will not forget that video or your post:~)

9. SAM says:

So much humor sprinkled throughout the story, I really enjoyed it! The twist at the end was a nice surprise too. You had me gasping with Kaylee’s reaction to his being late, and you did a very good job of creating a typical male in Bradley. His character reads loud and clear, which is quite a feat in such a short story. I really love that Eloise is more than she seems, too.
    SAM´s last blog post ..A Whole New World

@ Sam — Oh, that’s a nice compliment and exactly what I hoped a reader would get from this story. It’s not a heavy-weight story, but every once in awhile, I like to dance on the fun side of life:~)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this story.

10. janice says:

Was having a quick coffee and just popped over on my phone. (I love my wee smartphone – it’s what eventually got me over my cyber blackout when I lost everything in a laptop crash.) You had a photo prompt last time I visited, but this happy wee story was just what I needed to stop me craving a biscuit to dunk!
    janice´s last blog post ..How to Harness the Power of Authenticity in Your Writing and Your Life (Revisited)

@ Janice — Every once in awhile, I have to write a “biscuit” story. Something slightly sweet, but light enough to enjoy with tea or coffee:~)

As always, thank you for visiting. I really did enjoy your post about blogging. You made me really think about why I keep doing it.

I like that the nice blogger gal came along and that they liked each other – sparks flying and all that. And the mean girl really loses in the end…
    Lynn´s last blog post ..The last lily, the cookies are here and fingers and cookie

12. Patricia says:

Sara,
    I loved this story and especially the happy ending. I know an Eloise just like the one in your story

Kevin Kao – how about Portland, Oregon, King Elementary, Librarian. Very clever, fun, beautiful, and a great writer! So far everyone who has run into her car, has been married!

Sara,
    I think the reason so many writers LOVE the book I just reviewed (only 160 pages) is because the writing is so good. It is similar to the piano teacher who has a lesson with a Master piano teacher along the way. I am sure your library would have a copy or with overdrive you can check it out on an e reader or computer from almost any library on your computer. It is a classic.

Hilary might know of him also – One of the Queen’s favorites.
    Patricia´s last blog post ..THE SENSE OF AN ENDING: A Novel ~Julian Barnes

@ Patricia — Knowing an Eloise must be interesting. Thank you for reading this story. It was fun to write and even I enjoyed the happy ending:~)

Re: Julian Barnes’ book: I can understand it when someone’s writing leaves you in awe and it sounds like that was the case with “The Sense of An Ending.”

You really do good book reviews, Patricia. I always enjoy them.

I have faith in your happy endings!
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Us

Time upon the wall
    We lesion to it Ticking away
    Tick tock-tick tock
    We watch it we count it
    We wonder where it goes
    Tick tock-tick tock
    Tomorrow is here today is gone
    Rushing buy faster and faster
    Tick tock-tick tock
    Quite to quite
    Why has it stopped?
    No more ticks
    No more tocks

@ Ellis — LOL That’s a good one. I think I prefer to hear the “Tick tock-tick tock.” You’re right sometimes it does seem time is going faster and faster. Then again, it also can slow down to a crawl. Usually, this happens at a time when you WANT the clock to go faster:~)

I hope all is well with you:~)

15. Valerie says:

I adored this, Sara! Your stories always wrap around me like soft blankets. I snuggle in and I never want them to end. Thanks, sweetie:) xoxoxo
    Valerie´s last blog post ..Priceless