Nature Nurtures Hope

Tree-FreezeThis was my Japanese magnolia tree almost a month ago.

It had bloomed gloriously, but got hit by a freeze. This was the result.

I wanted to cry when I saw the tree, but I walked out and looked at it closely.

This is a picture of what I found. Can you see the green buds?

natures-hopeTo me, this is an example of how nature nurtures hope.

It’s a good lesson for me and maybe you.

Sometimes, everything looks brown and dead.

And it’s easy to believe there’s no hope left.

But looks can be deceiving, as my Japanese magnolia proves.

Even in the darkest times, there is a bud of hope waiting to blossom.

Look for it!

Hope

23 comments on “Nature Nurtures Hope

Vesper and I don’t see
    footprints in the sand

As for this one
    life and death
    around and around
    which is first
    the last maybe
    there’s life before
    then death we see
    then life is back again
    someday there will be one
    with out the other eternally

Yet Vesper and I
    you don’t see

This happened here a couple of springs ago. We had a bizarrely warm March, and everything–including the beautiful dogwood trees–budded and bloomed. Then there was a an April freeze and all the blooms turned dead and brown, just like this. It was so sad, but everything came back, minus the dogwood flowers.
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Lies Looking For Girls To Tell Them

@ Fireblossom — The weather has been tricky lately. It must be difficult for plants, but the nice thing is “nature” takes this into consideration. Well, most of the time:~)

3. Kelvin Kao says:

Ah, it’s saying spring time is here!
    Kelvin Kao´s last blog post ..Running Sound Cues for the First Time!

Hi Sara – Nature is amazing .. it gets knocked and it springs right up and starts again .. sometimes it needs an extra year to recover .. but recover it does … I love Magnolias .. ours are just starting – but a cooler Spring means the bulbs last longer – well I’m telling myself that as the East wind blows through! Cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..Cheapside Hoard: Goldsmiths, Bankers, Jewellers, Pawnbrokers and Toymen …

@ Hilary — You just wrote something I would say about you, especially the part about springing “right up” again:~)

5. Vesper says:

A good reminder on the resilience of life… and maybe some hope for us too… I’m so glad your magnolia is doing fine! 🙂
    Vesper´s last blog post ..Off to New York

@ Vesper — It is a nice tree. The leaves are a lovely shade of green and the flowers are beautiful! Thanks for the visit. I hope you had a good time in NY:~)

I LOVE Japanese Magnolias! Their blooms are popping out here, too. So glad your blooms came back.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Sing Joy Love, peaceful wishes and musical bridge

@ Lynn — They are pretty trees. I’m glad it bloomed. Perhaps not as big as might have, but now the leaves are all out.

7. janice says:

Glad to see you back! Life longs for life – so many lessons to be learned all around us. Sometimes we capture those fleeting moments ourselves; sometimes it’s lovely to have someone else remind us ever so gently to notice, to be present, to believe that everything will be OK. Thanks Sara – I’m glad your tree’s decided to thrive and that you cared enough to share its message of hope with us.
    janice´s last blog post ..Meet the Crew

8. jean sampson says:

Hi Sara! So good to be back! Yes, spring is finally here (although we might have more snow on Thursday) and life renews itself over and over in its own time.
    Happy Spring!

@ jean — Yeah, you’re back. Of course, you would come back when I’ve taken some time off!!! It’s been a cold winter, but now it’s starting to warm up…:~)

I love how you took an event in nature and translated it into life moments. Things aren’t always as they seem and hope sprouts forth just when we think there isn’t any.

A few years ago, we had lots of warm weather and the grape vines were budded and then a mid-April freeze took out a lot of the local grapes. Some wineries had limited production that year.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

@ Linda — Thank you about the post:~) It really did surprise when I saw the buds hidden in the dead leaves.

Yes, grapevines do suffer, as do a lot of plants from a late freeze.

10. Michelle says:

Very beautiful! ^^
    Michelle´s last blog post ..So Last Night

11. YAY!!!!! So glad the buds came back. Amazing! Gives me hope for my pittosporums that got caught by a bit of frost a couple weeks ago. I bet they will do the same as your tree did.

And loving the look of your blog since I last visted, which was too long ago.

xooxoxoxoxxo
    Jannie Funster´s last blog post ..“They Took Us In” a poem of gratitude for angels

@ Jannie — I’m just glad for the visit. I love reading your posts and keeping up with your family activities:~)

So true, Sara. We can learn so much from nature’s resilience and acceptance. It is heartbreaking…like when my daffodils bloom and get covered in snow. Still, though, they shine. 🙂
    Talon´s last blog post ..A Ruse