Friend or Foe?

Friend-or-FoeCan you see the little crab approaching from the right?

It looks like there might be a confrontation, but what kind?

Story photo challenge one:

Do you think they are friends or foes?

What do you think happens when they meet?

Story photo challenge two:

Go for it! Write a brief dialogue between the two crabs.

19 comments on “Friend or Foe?

it is a girl crab
    it is a boy
    what is said
    these lips
    will not repeat

mating session
    is under foot
    and rock
    what happen next
    no one should peak

@ Ellis — LOL….I’m not sure exactly how crabs manage to mate, but they must. I kind of like the idea of love is in the air as opposed to warfare:~)

2. jean sampson says:

I love the reply above and think that is exactly what happened! I hope we will get to see the little baby crabettets that are the result! 🙂

Oh my – I think they are friends! I so love Ellis’s poem that I can’t improve upon that at all. Perfect.
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Visit to Milledgeville, trolley tour and perfect day

@ Lynn — So, it’s just a friendly visit…perhaps the little crab is coming to see the bigger crab’s new home. I hear they have to change homes quite frequently:~)

I agree about Ellis’ poem. I love it when he visits and leaves his wonderful poetry!

Hi Sara ‘hey mate … are you thinking of vacating your home soon – I’m here and ready to move, my little sister is awaiting my home … so if you could get a move on .. it would really help.’

Ellis’ poem is great … Cheers Hilary
    Hilary´s last blog post ..L is for Ley Lines and Lanes …

@ Hilary — You’re the only one who did the conversation. I give you five stars and big chuckle from me. Let’s hope the bigger crab is really ready to move out and that he leaves his house nice and tidy:~)

5. janice says:

If I’d found them, there’d have been no photo, just them doubled over laughing, pointing with their little scuttly pincery things at the big woman running away! Crabs!? You get crabs where you are? I’m such a wimp, I once panicked and poured half a bottle of scouring cleanser on a cockroach in a kitchen in Greece because I didn’t know what else to do. My husband and kids laughed at me and teased me in deep cartoon cockroachy voices when it ran through the white cleanser unperturbed and hid under the fridge “Oh, no… that human lady’s CLEANED me!!!” The teasing got worse when I freaked and threw a mug of lukewarm tea at a mouse in too close to the kitchen door…”Ooooh, lovely warm shower”, they squeaked, “Any biscuits?!” I’m not a great fan of small darty, scuttly, slithery, unpredictable things. Big spiders? They don’t worry me till they move…or leap out at me. To this day, I still check my clothes and shoes for scorpions in Greece before I put them on and stick to walking along snakeless paths rather than scrubland. And shoals of semi transparent wee Greek fish that sneak up on you and nip and nibble your toes?…Don’t get me started. Sorry, Sara – probably not the writing prompt response you wanted! 😉

How’s your writing project coming along, by the way?
    janice´s last blog post ..Manhattan

@ Janice — I laughed through your comment. Where I live we have snakes, spiders (including black widow), and cockroaches. It’s not as bad as Australia, but we lots of not so friendly animals and bugs and this does even cover what’s in the water. Crabs are the least of my worries when swimming in the gulf or the ocean!

My writing project is moving slowly, but I appreciate every forward step.

Hi Sara, where was that picture taken? It looks like an unusual environment for the little crabs. Here’s my take on their situation.

Oh, I think their friends, and considering their odd surroundings, I’d say they got caught up in a monster storm and were washed away from their home.

Right about now they are looking around wondering where they, how they got there, and more importantly, how are they going to get home.

The big one, McClaw, says to the smaller one “C’mon, Pinchy! I have a plan. We’ll follow this path…it kinda looks like sand and are those shells?”

“You think that will lead us home, McClaw?”

“Pinchy, trust me. Stay behind me and watch out for…THUD…those giant two-legged creatures. That was close!”

“Are we almost there?” whispered Pinchy, “I’m feeling a bit parched.”

The path had changed from the cement which they had mistaken for sand and shells, and they were now walking along a wooden boardwalk and just beyond lay the ocean rising and falling, rushing up the shore and retreating.

“Yes” said McClaw, just a few more steps and…plop, plop, they landed on the soft sand. Just then a wave raced up the beach and tickled them with warm salty water.

“Ah, it’s good to be home” they sighed in unison.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Lake Katherine at Reynolda Gardens

@ Linda — AWWWW…I liked that story very much. It was somewhere near a dock, but I don’t know if it was land or sea:~) We just returned from a short vacation and it is good to be home!

7. Ginny says:

I don’t think anything was said. I think they were so glad to have found one another again that they just sat quietly under the rock enjoying the moment.

8. patricia says:

Wow Sara I loved all the comments. Not good on dialogue writing and not very funny with skills….and the comments – well they are wonderful.

Meeting with neurosurgeons this coming week about surgery and pain relief. I wish I could believe that the Chiropractor could fix this pain in the back with just some adjustments and not surgery…

Can not sit any more today.
    patricia´s last blog post ..THE BOY WHO LOVED RAIN: A NOVEL ~Gerard Kelly

@ Patricia — That’s okay about your comment — you don’t have write dialogue. I appreciate the visit.

I hope all goes well with your surgery and that it does provide you with pain relief! I’m be sending you lots of positive thoughts!

9. Vesper says:

They are so lovely and intriguing!
    I think they played a wordless song of clicks and clacks, and ticks and tocks, and maybe a little tap dance, and then the little one went home while the bigger one called after him, “‘Twas a real pleasure! Do visit again!” Nature is usually more cruel, but this is a story with a happy ending… 🙂
    Thank you for this wonderful post!
    Vesper´s last blog post ..Wanderings on Kindle

They are friends. When they meet, they play rock, paper, scissors!

I hope that all is well in your world, Sara!
    Fireblossom´s last blog post ..Book Review: “Help! A Bear Is Eating Me!”